Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Ok, let me have it...
23.gif

You're not wrong.

Ok, let me have it...
23.gif

You have a point.

On the other hand you could fall down the stairs at home, have a heart attack, or any number of other unplanned-for emergency medical events.

I/we feel much safer out here at the dunes with hardly another soul in sight most days for the last week plus, then back at home driving/riding on (albeit less crowded) roads. Or just a trip to the grocery store to run the gauntlet for a roll of TP...

We've just had a report of a car/motorcycle crash with injury. Reinforces what can go wrong, and the unnecessary stress it puts on emergency services at this time...we need them for other important duties. The uncrowded roads are not really safer, as essential drivers have less to look out for and so more relaxed. Where I am the maize crop is still coming in, those that cropped early are sowing grass seed, tractors everywhere. With less cars around they are going to be less cautious.

I get it now.
Police love riding their 'bikes'.
Traffic is down and Stay-At-Home / Shelter in Place has literally dropped most patrol or enforcement needs to a new low.
-See a kid on Monkey bars at a roped off play ground ? Call IT IN !!
-Person picking up doggy doo in a yard? Probably stealing. Call IT IN !!

This way, Policing is busy and essential. They get to ride their bikes !!

grin2.gif

Well, I might as well pour some cold water on all this cheer, lol.

I have not ridden. It's because 1. I take our Stay-at-Home executive order of governor seriously and try to abide it. 2. No way do I want to go inside an ER or Hospital as a trauma case right now. Increased risk of catching a [highly] contagious disease plus I'd be placing more load on an already heavily over worked health care staff due to my pleasure seeking gone wrong. I can imagine the way fatigued hospital staff might feel when they are stretched thin and tired as heck and in comes a trauma demanding stat attention and resources because he was out pleasure seeking when everyone is supposed to be only getting on the roads for essential errands or essential employment.

Ok, let me have it...
23.gif

Your call and valid thoughts.
It's easy to rationalize our 'odds' although they don't always align with reality. Some may be drawn to ride some, the same amount or more and feel safer with traffic rates down.
Yet those on the roads are stressed, inattentive or distracted in other ways with our current level of conditions.
For me, if I haven't been on the bike regularly for a few weeks or more, its always putt-putt around the neighborhood area a bit to regain timing, muscle memory and get my head in the game again.

Ride Safe ~

Last edited:
Yes! This weekend it will be in the mid 50's and sunny. I'll take the bike down off jack stand (up since 11/02/2019) and disconnect the battery tender. Check fluids, air up tires plus safety checks then go! If weather is above 40 in mornings I'll start riding to work next week since weather is starting to warm up. Great to be considered an essential employee for once and still be working. Plus have a company letter if the Law pulls me over stating I'm on my way to or home from work. No, no joy riding until this covid-19 crap passes....

Riding? yes!

This past weekend ... the 80s to upper 80s, My wife and I went out both days for a few hours at a time.
It was spur of the moment so there was no real destination, it was just great to get out and ride. Jumped on the interstate to the next country, rode around, looked at some new construction, then over to the Lake Murray Dam walked around the "park area" and the boat ramps a lot of people out.

Time to get he boat ready, weather to be cool this end of the week which is good, no fun working on a boat when its hot out. *L*
Governor just closed the beaches and boat ramps in SC. Im furious but will try to find a work around to a non public ramp, but not this weekend, after all, got the bike and honestly, kind of nice if not strange as the roads are so empty. :eek:)
( I call it my wifes boat, I'm good with the bike but she wanted a boat too so works out good, if one or the other cant be used)

Last edited:
I ride dirtbikes with my son and another group. We went to the Ocala National Forest over the weekend and it was great to just get out and enjoy our hobby and the outdoors. All the other riding places within a 100 mile radius are closed.

I could go riding but no thanks. Bike is ready to go but if I were to have an accident or something, the hospital is the last place I want to be right now.

I will try to take one tank rides, without support. I will take snacks, and some frozen bottles of water to keep everything cold. I will go make urea deposits in the woods. some forest creature will thank me for the nice green tender shoots. Then I will park it. If I get any leo pushback, well I ride a GS so I will go off pavement.

Rod

Well, like I said before I don't want even a remote chance of having to go to a hospital in a state of trauma or even any lesser reason right now. You catch a disease while you're all busted up from an accident and you're dead in 10 days or less. Body can only handle one trauma at a time.

I also think people refusing to abide public health orders risk being viewed as selfish, and should reconsider the common good as out weighing personal leisure pursuits.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Heck they just arrested a lone paddle border in Malibu, two police boats, because he refused to stop, that would be me if I was in CA and wanted to go in the water, I would

I think you're allowed to go outside for exercise as long as you maintain social distancing. Not much chance of passing the virus to anyone paddle boarding by yourself, except maybe the sharks. Or the cops who stop you...

Maybe they stopped him because the conditions were dangerous?

I am selfish, just ask my GF. I do not care what other people think. If anyone needs help I will give it. I checked on some older neighbors yesterday. Threw a deserving looking beggar a 5. When he got up obviously in pain and limping, either he needed it or was a good actor, I gave him the other 5 in my billfold. Not carrying much cash now, covid hiding ground using cc and cleaning it. Wish I had more to give him. Do not see him now.

I have to ride occasionally just to remain sane. Maybe the bicycle will do it for me.

Rod

Not with the miserable weather here lately. It has been cold, raw, overcast, and often raining for the last few weeks.

Riding to work some days, driving others. Great weather, low traffic & congestion, low fuel usage. It's a winner all around.

I just got my forks back together (leaky fork seal), new front tire, adjusted neck bearings and went for a little shakedown ride. I'm very cautious too about placing an unnecessary burden on ER staff so I'm not going to be doing much riding until this is over.

I ride only to and from work. It is not enough but I am doing hat I am supposed to be doing. The risk is lower than normal, much less traffic.

Better than me going postal.

Rod

I rode 50 miles on country back roads this morning. My wife mentioned going for a ride when she came home from work. We rode another 70 miles before dinner. She's a keeper!

Back