Tesla Crushing It

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

But its products are in strong demand in an otherwise shrinking new car market.

Umm no. They have merely increased their production rate but this in no way suggests their products are in strong demand. If they had the same production capacity as everyone else, I predict that their sales decline would be near the same as everyone else, or possibly a lot worse since a potential economic depression can decrease luxury/toy sales rates of anything. It is merely a sign that they can't keep up with the very weak demand but are (now, were) getting better at it.

I am not sure where you are getting your information from; please show me a source? I have not read anything like that.
That's the opposite of what the numbers say. The Model 3 was #3 selling car in CA behind Civic and Camry. CA is by far the biggest market in the US.
#7 car in US.
China is the biggest market in the world and the Shanghai factory opened in Dec.
The new Gigafactory 4 near Berlin opens early next year as European demand is strong.

And the Model Y has just been released. It is expected to take SUV market share, which as you know is where the sales are.
I visited the local Tesla service center to check out the Y; they didn't have one. This was early March.
They told me wait time was 6 months to 1 year for new orders.

Last edited:
I remember 2009. Autotrader in California was inundated with people trying to dump their Porsche 911 leases. The first quarter numbers for deliveries of Teslas only contain two weeks of Covid 19. Wait until the second quarter numbers to gauge the number of new orders.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
If things don't get better, Tesla will go bankrupt faster than the big 3. They are billions in debt and in the best of times can't make an annual profit. The Tesla zealots won't like it but Tesla is in no place to handle a global recession.

Ford and GM are in bad shape and want another Cash For Clunkers type program to somehow get sales going again.

All those $50K trucks on dealer lots need to be moved .

There is a good chance Ford may not survive this downturn.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I remember 2009. Autotrader in California was inundated with people trying to dump their Porsche 911 leases. The first quarter numbers for deliveries of Teslas only contain two weeks of Covid 19. Wait until the second quarter numbers to gauge the number of new orders.
smile.gif

Of course, Tesla does not exist in a bubble. All car manufacturers will be hurt.
But no other car maker has the Tesla order backlog.
Surely a number of back orders will cancel and new orders will slow.

Since Fremont production has ceased for the forseeable future, the banner year highlighted by the Model Y will not be so banner.
Tesla will not be able to repay its outstanding debt as planned.

By the way, the Fremont and Buffalo plants are constructing ventilator production lines.

Last edited:
Tesla will get rocked in the next two quarters. Im a buyer in the 300-350 stock price range, if it happens.

Everyone is welcome to put their 2 cents in. In this rough time, I just wanted to rattle a few cages.
And Elon is whack. It takes whack to do something big.
I will pass on your good ideas...

Stay safe.
All good.

Cujet has range anxiety. He should wait for the Roadster. 600 mile range. 0 to 60 in 1.8 seconds, 8.8 second quarter mile. 7,000 pound feet of torque.

Tesla Roadster

Last edited:
Even the current Model S P100D is running 10.4 sec 1/4 miles now. And beating Lambos at 3x the price.

I bet the Model S Plaid (coming later this year) will be 9.xx in the 1/4 mile.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Based on tweets by Elon last few days, I think someone needs to do intervention there.

He's whack. You know you love him.

If things don't get better, Tesla will go bankrupt faster than the big 3. They are billions in debt and in the best of times can't make an annual profit. The Tesla zealots won't like it but Tesla is in no place to handle a global recession.

The domestics are shouldered with unsustainable legacy costs (i.e. pensions) so I suspect they will be the first to fail*. Ford is at $4/share after all.

*Defined as one or more of the following: Large cash infusion from US Treasury, Major pension overhaul, Merger with another company.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

The domestics are shouldered with unsustainable legacy costs (i.e. pensions) so I suspect they will be the first to fail*. Ford is at $4/share after all.

*Defined as one or more of the following: Large cash infusion from US Treasury, Major pension overhaul, Merger with another company.

I can see this as well but I'm afraid Ford and GM will become hot potatoes like Chrysler.

A lot of you naysayers overlook the fact that Tesla cannot be compared to conventional auto manufacturers. They are more than that. Tesla will have an income stream not only from their vehicles but from licensing their autonomous driving technology and selling fleet grade cars to taxi services, licensing and/or manufacturing their advanced batteries to other auto makers, selling their solar systems and their new HVAC systems and more. All of this provided they weather the current economic storm which I am pretty confident that they will.

Ark Investments recognizes all of that and predicts that TSLA will be worth $7000 to $15,000 a share by 2024. Well, that seems pretty darn optimistic. Barrons predicts stock prices of several thousand dollars a share also with similar projection modeling. Not as crazy as Ark, but $2000 - $2500 a share is not a pipe dream.

It only took a year from groundbreaking to completed Model 3's rolling off the assembly line at the new Shanghai factory. They would probably have done the same in Munich if it wasn't for the bureaucratic delays and once those cars start coming off the line they will be excellent sellers all over Europe. What other auto manufacturer could do the same ?

Tesla is anywhere from 4-6 years ahead of the competition who still are devoting massive resources to their gasoline engine auto lines in addition to planning for a future market share in EV's.
I predict as soon as this Corvid-19 situation settles down, their stock will begin a rapid recovery and will exceed $1200 a share in a short amount of time. Especially if their upcoming Battery Investor Day information shows rapid technological advances on the immediate and near horizons.

Personally, I have set a target for myself where if my Tesla stock holdings reach a certain level, I will sell enough shares to buy a totally impractical exotic gasoline powered sports car to enjoy before I am too old and feeble to enjoy it. Maybe even send a photo of myself behind the wheel and thumbing my nose to Greta Thunberg for encouraging enough people to buy EV's for me to be able to afford an environmentally unfriendly gas guzzler.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
A lot of you naysayers overlook the fact that Tesla cannot be compared to conventional auto manufacturers. They are more than that. Tesla will have an income stream not only from their vehicles but from licensing their autonomous driving technology and selling fleet

Personally, I have set a target for myself where if my Tesla stock holdings reach a certain level, I will sell enough shares to buy a totally impractical exotic gasoline powered sports car to enjoy

2DE6B637-28A6-4B94-8EC5-76EE49EA44F3.jpeg

43E120A2-9292-4BD9-B98F-523AECC35B76.jpeg

8845E809-AE95-481D-9507-76A1A935DCE8.jpeg

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

Personally, I have set a target for myself where if my Tesla stock holdings reach a certain level, I will sell enough shares to buy a totally impractical exotic gasoline powered sports car to enjoy before I am too old and feeble to enjoy it. Maybe even send a photo of myself behind the wheel and thumbing my nose to Greta Thunberg for encouraging enough people to buy EV's for me to be able to afford an environmentally unfriendly gas guzzler.

Musk has been counted out numerous times by many.
All the naysayers have been proven wrong but they still come up with new naysayings (not really a word).
TSLA is the #2 shorted stock after Apple; the shorts are getting killed.

Heck, the best ever Q1 news sent the stock up but had naysayers calling this the end. Again.

Oh yeah, my Roadster (in my stupid dreams) will blow the doors off your ICE Supercar. Heck, my Model 3 will give it a good run.

Regardless, driving a Tesla is a whole lotta fun. That's for sure!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Oh yeah, my Roadster (in my stupid dreams) will blow the doors off your ICE Supercar. Heck, my Model 3 will give it a good run.

I've asked before. When is the Roadster actually going to be for sale? IF it's all it's claimed to be, I'd be interested.

A neighbor has a Tesla which in ludicrous mode (or whatever he called it) is pretty impressive. It takes no skill at all to get the best performance out of it. He was boasting how it would leave any of our performance vehicles in the dust. It ruined his day when it couldn't keep up with my oldest Sportbike. But to be fair, that old Sportbike is a long ways from stock, AND it takes a lot of skill and experience to get the best launch out of it.

I've had electric cars in the past. I love the way they drive, the low maintenance costs (of a well designed one) and yes, the low emissions.

For my money though, Tesla is not what I want to deal with. Sunroofs popping out, water coming from door pillars, rust on the interiors (under seat) Paint issues, gaps and panel fitment issues, etc.
Not what I want to spend my hard earned money on. Now these issues with used car purchasers getting features deleted via software updates. No, not for me thank you.

Once they get all these issues straight and treat customers WITH issues fairly, I'll get a model Y. Until then I'll spend my money elsewhere thanks.

California is a special place, people will (would) do anything to get HOV lane access, no issues like that here.
Soon, due to new battery tech (lithium/Glass), there will be electric cars with single charge range of 800 miles.

You want to tell Elon something, tell him this.

Originally Posted by 02SE

I've asked before. When is the Roadster actually going to be for sale? IF it's all it's claimed to be, I'd be interested.

Optimistically late 2021, especially with the current stoppage.
There are tons of $50K deposits.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I've had electric cars in the past. I love the way they drive, the low maintenance costs (of a well designed one) and yes, the low emissions.

For my money though, Tesla is not what I want to deal with. Sunroofs popping out, water coming from door pillars, rust on the interiors (under seat) Paint issues, gaps and panel fitment issues, etc.
Not what I want to spend my hard earned money on. Now these issues with used car purchasers getting features deleted via software updates. No, not for me thank you.

Once they get all these issues straight and treat customers WITH issues fairly, I'll get a model Y. Until then I'll spend my money elsewhere thanks.

California is a special place, people will (would) do anything to get HOV lane access, no issues like that here.
Soon, due to new battery tech (lithium/Glass), there will be electric cars with single charge range of 800 miles.

You want to tell Elon something, tell him this.

Our Model 3 is perfect. Have their been quality control issues? Yes, just like every car. But it is overblown as evidenced by Tesla being #1 in owner satisfaction, by far.
I do not know a single person who regrets their purchase. Do you?

The CA HOV lanes are crowded with cheats. Not enough CHP to keep 'em out.
If I just wanted to get in the commuter lane, there are much cheaper ways.

Back