New dishwasher on order...

When we purchased our first home (1959 ranch), we bought all new Whirlpool appliances with the exception of the dishwasher. It is a 2000 something model Maytag Legacy Quiet Series 200. All other appliances were quite old or non functional so we opted to replace with the exception of the dishwasher. Well, as of late we had some issues with the latch on the Maytag, and last night it flat out broke. You can still open and close, you just have to forcefully open it.

I decided to go ahead and replace it since our current dishwasher is over 10 years old, and is what I consider loud. Loud enough to distract you when watching TV in the adjacent room.

I initially wanted to stick with Whirlpool to match all our other appliances but the model I wanted had too many reviews stating that it didn't wash utensils in the utensil holder very well. I went ahead and purchased a Bosch. From what I have read they have a good reputation and are very quiet. This model has good reviews (most do) and has some nice features.

Do any of you have experience with Bosch dishwashers? Anything to add? I am aware they don't have a heating element to assist in drying.

Bosch 500 series

we've had our Bosch dishwasher for about 14 years. It has the hidden controls and shines a little red dot of light on the ground to let you know when it's running. The thing is absolutely silent and has performed flawlessly since new. I'd get another one in a heartbeat! Enjoy your new dishwasher.

I've heard many people with Bosch really love them. We had one in a house for 3 or so years and it was good in that time. Several family members have had them to varying success.

Appliances just strike me as a gamble. Hope ya got a good one!

We now have a Kitchen-Aid which is pretty good (2 years old). It replaced a ~6 year old GE that wasn't fantastic and eventually broke down entirely. Our GE french door fridge of the same vintage isn't holding up so well either and has had several repairs in its 8 or so years (computer, compressor, icemaker works intermittently); it was a $2500 or so lemon. We're not big on GE any more.

At any rate, I hope those musings were helpful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by iahawk
we've had our Bosch dishwasher for about 14 years. It has the hidden controls and shines a little red dot of light on the ground to let you know when it's running. The thing is absolutely silent and has performed flawlessly since new. I'd get another one in a heartbeat! Enjoy your new dishwasher.

The model we purchased also has the red floor indicator light. Glad to hear you have had a good experience with yours. No heating element in your 14 year old model either? How well does it dry?

Originally Posted by TmanP
I've heard many people with Bosch really love them. We had one in a house for 3 or so years and it was good in that time. Several family members have had them to varying success.

Appliances just strike me as a gamble. Hope ya got a good one!

We now have a Kitchen-Aid which is pretty good (2 years old). It replaced a ~6 year old GE that wasn't fantastic and eventually broke down entirely. Our GE french door fridge of the same vintage isn't holding up so well either and has had several repairs in its 8 or so years (computer, compressor, icemaker works intermittently); it was a $2500 or so lemon. We're not big on GE any more.

At any rate, I hope those musings were helpful.

Indeed the price is steep, I was looking at a $720 model, but we both agreed we wanted the hidden controls. Hopefully it lasts us a very long time, $200 price difference over 10 years is $1.66 a month. Time will tell.

We just open the door on our whirlpool dish washer and the dishes dry just fine.

Boschs are expensive but quiet. People who have them love them. However both Bosch and whirlpool are known to be quite reliable in the dishwasher dept. Bosch dishwashers are still built in North Carolina and Whirlpool brands are made in Ohio. The biggest complaints I have heard about Bosch's dishwashers is the price.

We got a stainless steel Whirlpool a couple years ago and it SUCKS.

Luckily you didn't go that route. I heard the Bosch are nice.

I was torn between Bosch and Whirlpool, but found a killer deal on our Whirlpool so that's what we got. Was $1,100, got it for $520 including tax! It was a floor model at Menards, no scratches or other damage and had all the parts.

Never had an issue with silverware not getting clean. But everyone I know with a Bosch loves them and raves how quiet they are. The third rack is also great in our opinion. We put all sorts of food covered cooking utensils up there and they always come out spotless.

According to the Bosch site, that model of dishwasher does have a heating element, but it is hidden. If you click on specifications then technical specifications you'll see it.

Originally Posted by Olas
It's not Politically Correct to use the term 'Dishwasher'

In this day and age you are expected to call them 'Wife'

And for the love of God do not refer to her as "my ol' lady" in front of her!
crackmeup2.gif

We've had a Bosch 500 for two years and I would buy another one in a heart beat. Cleans very well and is very quiet. The critical thing is to keep the rinse aid supplied since there is no heating element for drying. Drying performance is just fine.

Last edited:
Bosch makes a very good dishwasher. My first one lasted a little better than 10 years. Make sure you get the series with all stainless inside the tub. You want to run vinegar through every month or so.

I had one of those Maytag dishwashers. It was the sorriest dishwasher that I have ever owned. I had the motor assembly go out before it was a year old. The motor assembly was replaced under warranty. It went out again and I had to eat that one. I replaced the door handle once. It broke again and I pulled that sorry dishwasher and replaced with a Whirlpool made Kenmore. I don't think that I had the Maytag for two years. But, the Maytag was highly rated by Consumer Reports.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Got a new Bosch the first of the year. No complaints so far and it is super quiet. I hit the extra dry button with each cycle and my dishes are just as dry as when using my old Kenmore. Time will tell on reliability.

I just installed a Bosch 300 on Thursday. I'll second the rinse aid comment. I first did a test run just to make sure everything was connected properly, no leaks, etc. The tub was still soaked when it was finished and I was a little afraid. Now that there is rinse aid in it and I'm running it full of dishes, drying performance is fine.

Double check the install instructions and make sure you have everything you need. The 300 only has a plug for an outlet. It requires a separate kit for hard-wire installation. I was fine in this regard, but I was also looking at a Bosch Ascenta, which is just the opposite: It has everything for a hard-wire install, but requires a separate kit for an outlet plug install. Also, the drain hose seemed exceedingly short. I ended up ordering a drain line extension and using about 3 feet of it.

Had a Bosch in previous home, never a problem and dead quiet. Downsized home we live in now has a Kenmore, it's ok too but not like the Bosch. Fortunately is has a delay setting so that the wash cycle can be set to start after bedtime.

Originally Posted by MParr
I had one of those Maytag dishwashers. It was the sorriest dishwasher that I have ever owned. I had the motor assembly go out before it was a year old. The motor assembly was replaced under warranty. It went out again and I had to eat that one. I replaced the door handle once. It broke again and I pulled that sorry dishwasher and replaced with a Whirlpool made Kenmore. I don't think that I had the Maytag for two years. But, the Maytag was highly rated by Consumer Reports.
lol.gif

Maytag is made by Whirlpool.

Was going to get a Bosch a few years ago when our Kenmore/Whirlpool conked out, but it turned out our counters were about 1/4" too low due to the previous owner putting in a stone tile floor. So we got a GE instead, it has been excellent. It's very quiet and washes everything fine. All I ever use is the "auto" setting. One thing I liked about the GE is it has a pretty substantial looking grinder for food bits and a fine filter that you can take out and rinse in about 15 seconds. Seems a lot of makes don't have those sorts of features. It has heated dry but we don't use it, just rinse aid and a little time with the door open at the end of the cycle does the trick. It was only $450 or so but has the full stainless interior and the height adjustable rack.

One thing to note is that within a given manufacturer's line almost all of the key parts are going to be the same, from the least to most expensive models. The motor, pump, etc are the same. You pay more for the stainless interior, extra racks, hidden buttons, etc but the guts are the same. And as Slick notes Whirlpool makes like half the brands.

FWIW our GE french door fridge has been running non-stop for 13 years without a hitch, aside from a tempermental ice maker.

jeff

Another Bosch owner here. Owned ours for about 4 years. As stated keeping the rinse aid filled makes drying a non issue. I use store brand rinse aid and it works just fine. Really good cleaning machine even when using non name brand detergent. Just have to occasionally clean the filter. If we had to replace it, I'd opt for another one; no regrets so far.

Last edited:
Back