Castrol edge vs Valvoline synthetic?

Anyone have thoughts on one versus the other? Thinking it's six or one half dozen of the other. Looking for quiet operation and long term Cleanliness. Accord 2.0t, changing at 50 percent of MM, maybe down to 40. Which is 4-5k miles. Thanks in advance.

Aside of operating viscosity , Titanium addpack in Edge would help in quieten noise not suggesting Mo and Boron ,if any from Valvoline doesn't help .

I'm a valvoline fan because ML and VPBR.
Castrol products are OK, I dislike them for personal reasons.

We cant know which will be quieter until you try them both because every engine is different.
Re cleanliness, look at VOAs for both, the one with more detergant and dispersant will keep the engine cleaner. Alternatively, look to something Ester based, Ester is an amazing cleaner!

Valvoline is my choice over Casstrol. Of course, everything is my choice over Casstrol.

Originally Posted by zeng
Aside of operating viscosity , Titanium addpack in Edge would help in quieten noise not suggesting Mo and Boron ,if any from Valvoline doesn't help .

Valvoline Advanced has titanium (35 ppm) even though they don't mention it any where on their bottles or website. Advanced has more Mo and Boron as well, good stuff.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...oa-valvoline-synthetic-dexos1-gen-2-5w30

Edge has 9 ppm titanium and Magnatec has more coming in at 30 ppm.

Edge
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5002982/1

Magnatec
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4790192/voa-castrol-magnatec-d1g2-5w30

All of these are 5w30.

Nothing against Edge, it is on my list of oils to try in my Lucerne and I have run Magnatec in it but I'm sticking with Advanced in my truck.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Valvoline is my choice over Casstrol. Of course, everything is my choice over Casstrol.

Still not over their role in allowing group III to be classified as synthetic to US customers? I've pretty much stayed away because of it BUT even without that I prefer Valvoline's current formula. Valvoline's formula currently has titanium too and I'm not sold on the high Mg, low Ca (high Ca, lower Mg is proven) even though generally speaking I add the ppm of both to make one as they do the same thing.

I've run both recently. Valvoline Adv is my preferred oil, of these-2 offerings. Castrol's base oils are reported to be just blah. But the Edge's add-pack is formulated differently - unique to most others. Someday I'll try the Edge EP and that's the one you should consider. You should also consider Valvoline Modern Engine.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Anyone have thoughts on one versus the other? Thinking it's six or one half dozen of the other. Looking for quiet operation and long term Cleanliness. Accord 2.0t, changing at 50 percent of MM, maybe down to 40. Which is 4-5k miles. Thanks in advance.

Valvoline Advanced is the finest "synthetic: 5w30 Ive run in the past decade.

Just get it and use it.

It ticks all the boxes.

The VOA looks great ( not that anyone here could tell anything worthwhile from it )

The UOA are phenominal ( not that anyone here could tell anything worthwhile from it )

The Operation and power and fuel mileage is fantastic

You can't do better and I'm not a 5W30 grade Synpower Valvoline fan at all.

I've Run their old formulas in the past with poor to fair results.

Likely due to the "budget" add pack.

Now is your honda a suspected poorly designed piece of junk where you are only running 50% olm?

Or do you have some false paranoia and fear of " D.I. fuel dilution destruction"

Nothing personal, Just trying to break bad and unreasonable habit here.

The Forum Crowd Mentality here can work folks into a frenzy for no reason.

- Ken

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Whichever is on sale or cheaper, pretty equal IMO.

Agreed. And i think right now edge is cheaper than the valvoline.

Not a fan of either Valvoline or Castrol but for the 4-5k mile OCI you are planning you could save money and run Supertech Syn - good oil at under $15 a jug.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Not a fan of either Valvoline or Castrol but for the 4-5k mile OCI you are planning you could save money and run Supertech Syn - good oil at under $15 a jug.

I wanted to say this but didn't want the hate for being a "fan boy".

Running a 5k oci based on this being a tgdi. Cheap insurance. I've definitely toyed with the idea of super tech or Kirkland. Both are impressive and meet the specs Honda requires...an SN certified oil.

Thanks for all of the input. I agree. With a shorter oci a decent synthetic will be just fine.

Back