My 1997 Ford Aspire 1.3 beater has me stumped

Also be stumped the Firestone service center tech guy. My brother towed me home on a strap today.

This is the story: It was running fine at the time I parked it to R&R the front suspension, steering rack, clutch and flywheel, CV joints, and shifter bushings. I also pulled out the old stereo for replacement.

When I tried to start it fumes were being pumped out the IAC valve tube as if either the spark was early or cam timing changed.
Checked the compression, approx 1: 85 2:115 3:80 4:120 dropped some oil into the low cylinders and the numbers jumped into the 120 psi range.
Pulled the timing covers to double check the cam belt that I replaced last summer, the notches were on the mark.
Replaced the crankshaft position sensor, no start.
Swapped the IAC and ECM with junkyard parts I had, no effect.
Replaced the distributor with a tested unit from eBay, no start.
Towed it to Firestone.
They insisted the plug wires and spark plugs were bad, changed them, no start.
Checked ignition timing with a light, said it was on the money.
Changed the distributor with a new unit, no start.
The service advisor said it was the ECM and they don't do those, take the car back.
Bought a reflashed and tested ECM, put it in, no start.
Towed it home.

Any ideas guys?

Edit:. Also swapped out the TPS, MAP sensor, and tested the diaphragm on the EGR.

Last edited:
You changed lots of parts. Spark? Fuel? power to where is should be? disconnected wires ? pinched wires? It ran before? low compression.

Back to basics ... to run, the engine needs:

- spark at the right time,

- the correct air/fuel mixture, and

- compression.

You've got compression - it's not perfect, but is good enough to run.

Do you have spark? If Firestone was able to check the timing, presumably so.

So, are you getting gas? Sometimes in Fords of that era there was a switch that was to cut off the fuel supply in the event of an accident. Sometimes when they fail safe (that is, open, cutting off the fuel supply) - worth checking, and easy to reset. (Yeah, I know, the Aspire is actually a Korean-built Mazda 323, but it might still be equipped with that safety feature.)

Fuel out the rail - but how much?

Many cars require a specified minimum psi to run.

Fuel pressure test?

FSM for proper diagnosis.

Last edited:
Firing Order. Gots to be swapped wires.
Check compression at the #1 piston stroke, check that the distributor rotor is pointing at the proper terminal on the cap tower.

When you changed the clutch did you get a harness caught and pinched between the block and bellhousing. That is my bet here. I have done that myself.

It's going to be hard to start with compression that low. That should have been your hint not to spend money on it. You could try soaking the rings with a little ATF or other favorite potion.

Good point to check the firing order. Also distributor might be 180 degrees off. That will cause timing light to show it fires right at TDC, but it's the wrong TDC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
It's going to be hard to start with compression that low.

I would disagree. Many turbo engines are around 120 psi. The two at 80 are marginal but it should start ok.

All about keeping cars running.
There is a point where good money goes into bad.

Is it possible the cam gear slipped on cam? I am not too faimiliar with that engine, but what you are describing is incorrect valve timing, or incorrect ignition timing.

Is it back firing through the intake while trying to start?

Is it possible the balancer on the crank slipped? You say the crank pickup is on the balancer...that's why I ask.

Last edited:
Yeah I know. This is my second car as I have a Cadillac CTS that I'll like to spare the daily commute Grand Prix with windshield cracking gravel trucks and texting idiots. It has good balance and nimble handling with the suspension located at the far ends of the chassis, the replacement steering/suspension parts were cheap so I took the plunge, adding KYB struts, stiffer springs, and upgraded the strut mounts to KIA ball bearings. Now I'm in deep and want the car to run.

Last edited:
Back