The End Of The MiniVan Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned 2 my mini vans although they are or were large by SUV status. 84 Toyota Van (Katrina got it and wife's favorite to drive) and now 18 Grand Caravan. I was going SUV as we had a a Saturn Vue that needed a body computer as well as 140k but insurance was higher on SUV and since no one wanted "Minivan" it was also cheaper. I don't mind the driving around in the Minivan as I can care less of others opinion. I get about same fuel mileage as my 4 cyl SUV if not better and vehicle is more steady at interstate speed especially if it is windy. I never liked the feeling of SUV above 75 but have had no problems with the Caravan feeling floaty even at triple digits. I hope someone continues to make a van as that is my preference.

I had a minivan even when I was single. Perfect to load a bunch of friends and go skiing or take a trip. Used it for work too. Later when we had kids they were great. I still miss the room, but we opted for a Subaru after several bad winters.

My wife and I had only one child; it kept us out of Minivan [censored](she hates them more than I do- if that's even possible). The biggest vehicle we owned when our son was under 5 was a 1993 Pathfinder SE. Most of the time he rode in the Club Sport, which I had fitted with a BMW car seat that a friend smuggled in for me from Germany.

Our first;
I went from an SUV to our first van when the 92 Cherokee we had was acting up.
I think we (I) jumped the gun looking at vans unsure if the Jeep issue was going to be expensive or haunt us with further troubles.
We picked up a 93 Dustbuster or what GM called the Chevy version a Lumina. Was the mini-vacuum shape or the giant dash board that had it's own zip code part of it's charm ? Probably not.
At the time of purchase, it might have had 35,000 miles on it and I think we found evidence of it as a company car for a Tupperware rep. Many of the features were hardly used. The passenger door opened stiff as if it had only been used few times and there was no signs of typical family use or kids drama you might expect with a van. It was pristine.

Handy seat configurations, all buckets and comfy plus handy room for hauling options or even my office-on-wheels as it turned out to be were benefits just this side of joyful. Something that big and long offered a pleasant ride we were not use to either.
smile.gif

It's demise was grill versus driver door - A high velocity reddish or orange-colored blur (Camaro?) piloted by an influenced driver on a Sunday afternoon. Through it's productive time, I kept my printer and laptop at the ready and conducted a week's worth of my job from that wheeled shuttle, loaded and hauled products to customers and cleaned out those few things to convert it to family and weekend use for our adventures. Our two boys were 7 and 9 at the time.

VAN #2
Years later, we met some friends by accident at a car dealer event and I think we were pursuing interest in pre-owned Honda Odyssey inventory. We struck up conversation and they were looking at a new Honda car, ready to get rid of a Caravan. I guess the price was right and we went for the older, still good looking van - probably a 92. There was nothing offensive about it but I did employ a friend who was a mechanical genius and cheap labor for his efforts and talent on a head gasket job, maybe a trans rebuild too ...? One day shortly after I washed, waxed and even put some red pin stripe on that white shoebox, it was taken. Probably some mal adjusted teen who craved Brady Bunch life and wanted a joyride to the nearest mall - where we picked it up at a few days later.
That was it for vans in our experience.

I can understand how a van becomes part of the family. It's a far different thing than the svelte, lightweight, high power sports car people crave but memories, adventures and expeditions, helping someone move or dropping off the kid to college and their first dorm ... these experiences live on in different ways.
Other vehicles are meant to entertain.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman

I can understand how a van becomes part of the family. It's a far different thing than the svelte, lightweight, high power sports car people crave but memories, adventures and expeditions, helping someone move or dropping off the kid to college and their first dorm ... these experiences live on in different ways.
Other vehicles are meant to entertain.

smile.gif

I'll freely admit entertainment was a priority when I picked up the Club Sport, MS3, M235i, and Wrangler. That said some of my son's favorite experiences included attending HPDEs and shagging rides in a fellow instructor's GT3 RS 4.0- not to mention picking out potential victims in the Stoplight Grand Prix(when we were in in the MS3 and M235i). The Club Sport and Wrangler have been in my garage for 25 and 18 years, respectively- so I'd say that they are both part of the family.

Nothing beats minivan for family purposes. However, in every conversation with friends who have small kids I never found single person that said: I want minivan. I got questions: I never saw you driving minivan. That must be a sacrifice. Why would you get that? etc.
I must say living with minivan alone (before I got 3 series for pretty much everything unless I need 7 seats or cargo space) was painful mostly due to poor quality and some other stuff. But practicality wise, it is best decision.
Now that I make some 100 miles a month in order just to maintain battery alive, it was best decision as trips to Home Depot are breeze. We keep it for a road trips, which we do a lot, are comfortable as there is so much space. So, my plan is to keep this until kids go to college as I am not sure I would be able to mentally survive buying another Toyota.
I will never understand people buying appliance SUV's for family purposes and not minivans. II get people getting luxury SUV's or SUV's with real off road capability. But I am not sure Toyota Highlander is in any way "cooler" than Toyota Sienna.

Last edited:
I live at the end of a gravel farm road on the edge of a forest. I need a true off road vehicle to be able to pull trees out of the way or drive over them after a storm. And winter presents another reason to have something with ground clearance and a true low range transfer case.

Back in the mid 90's at my last job at a dealer,my boss bought a Plymouth voyager minivan.I loved driving that thing.Lots of room ,could haul most anything in it.Used to go to airport perfect for that.I had no problems driving it around.I talked many people on the fence into buying a minivan instead of an big suv.Much easier to slide a door open to put babys in seats etc

Originally Posted by CT Rob
Back in the mid 90's at my last job at a dealer,my boss bought a Plymouth voyager minivan.I loved driving that thing.Lots of room ,could haul most anything in it.Used to go to airport perfect for that.I had no problems driving it around.I talked many people on the fence into buying a minivan instead of an big suv.Much easier to slide a door open to put babys in seats etc

Huge thing! I got minivan because of space and the fact that they are now slightly used much cheaper than comparable SUV's. Never thought of sliding doors until I started to use it with toddler and infant in equation.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I live at the end of a gravel farm road on the edge of a forest. I need a true off road vehicle to be able to pull trees out of the way or drive over them after a storm. And winter presents another reason to have something with ground clearance and a true low range transfer case.

Yeah but, as far as I know your spring chickens are out of the house?
smile.gif

Once my kids are gone to college, I am getting rid of van pronto.

Against the wind-
I recall my son telling me "the van" went 103 mph.
I think he was heading back to school in Golden. Probably was the downhill side of Monument Hill.
Anyways, he had an appt in Castle Rock a few weeks later.

Provocative decals-
My other son took a year off from private school in his high school jr year enrolling in another school thinking he'd like the change. A few weeks later we were telling him he made a decision and had to stick it out.
One episode, my wife kept the story from me for a while. I later heard he was called into the office due to the policy about slogans, tee shirt messages, hats etc, no messages or hints toward lowbrow activity, drugs , drink and such.
The RocketBox on the van roof was handy for my ski stuff as I was volunteering with an adaptive program in Winter Park. I had a few decals on the box and Mary Jane is one of the sections on the windy side. Anyways, the private Christian School must have let it slide or knew it was a winter sports related moniker from the ski mountain.
The public school was riled up and probably ready to send him home for the day.
Previous to working the ski program, I had just rehab'd out of a nasty car crash and went a few week with an undiagnosed head injury and some temporary temperament issues. I believe it was my lack of filter that taught my wife to navigate the things I had to deal with for a while; hence a few stories were kept from me at the time.

Last edited:

Provocative decals-
My other son took a year off from private school in his high school jr year enrolling in another school thinking he'd like the change. A few weeks later we were telling him he made a decision and had to stick it out.
One episode, my wife kept the story from me for a while. I later heard he was called into the office due to the policy about slogans, tee shirt messages, hats etc, no messages or hints toward lowbrow activity, drugs , drink and such.
The RocketBox on the van roof was handy for my ski stuff as I was volunteering with an adaptive program in Winter Park. I had a few decals on the box and Mary Jane is one of the sections on the windy side. Anyways, the private Christian School must have let it slide or knew it was a winter sports related moniker from the ski mountain.
Previous to working the ski program, I had just rehab'd out of a nasty car crash and went a few week with an undiagnosed head injury and some temporary temperament issues. I believe it was my lack of filter that taught my wife to navigate the things I had to deal with for a while; hence a few stories were kept from me at the time.

My son attended a private school as well, and my wife also worked there as a substitute teacher. Anyway, my son took over my wife's 2004 X3(my wife had bought a CPO 328i) at just about the same time he was accepted by the University of South Carolina, so he immediate put a large "COCKS!" decal on the tailgate window.
Fast forward a couple of years and my wife was still subbing but she and my son had reached an agreement to trade cars. My wife promptly asked me to remove the COCKS! decal before she received another sub assignment.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Yeah but, as far as I know your spring chickens are out of the house?
smile.gif

Once my kids are gone to college, I am getting rid of van pronto.

We rented a Grand Caravan to move my son into his first dorm room at SC. It worked ell but I was happy to return it.

Originally Posted by coopns
We have 4 kids and owned a minivan for about 15 years. I always liked it, great for trips and kids in and out. Lots of storage. We have moved
on to a smaller mid size SUV. I don't see nearly as many around anymore, mostly small SUV's and the big Suburban which around here has
been a kind of replacement for the minivan. Funny I see a Dodge Caravan that we had in 2004 and now looks like something out of the 50's...

In my neck of the woods the Suburban and Traverse replaced the minivan.

And what you and I own is all over this area … albeit that new Expedition is cutting in now …

My thoughts as well and that's why I'm considering getting a Honda Odyssey for my wife to haul the grand-kids around in.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
If I had some kids to haul around I'd rather have a minivan with electric side doors than a wagon (er, I mean "SUV").

My wife and I bought a new MPV back in '03 when both of our daughters were still living at home. Once we became empty nesters, we traded in the MPV on a 2015 Sienna. The thinking here, since both of our daughters were now married, we were planning on hauling around grand kids, hence the decision to go with another minivan. We now have grand kids, but we don't drive them around, so the wife and I have decided to downsize to an SUV. Point being, if hauling around kids/large family is priority, I couldn't care less about the stigma tied to the minivan...it is without question the most useful and practical vehicle made when the most interior space is required...

When I was young, my mom had two different Chevy Lumina APVs in a row. Both were red and honestly not a lot different from each other other than the second one being a bit newer(spitballing, but I'd guess they were probably 90 and 93 m/ys, both bought used probably a year or so old). Even with a single sliding door and center bench, they were roomy and comfortable, and we took many family vacations in them. Even with both my parents, my sister, and possibly some extend family(grandmother, aunt) there was always plenty of space for all of us and luggage.

A good family friend and former member of my church has a ~10 year old Chrysler. It's even more comfortable, and I'm often amazed at just how much it can swallow up. When he would show up to help other church members move, we seemed to never run out of room shoveling stuff into it, and it could take a lot more in one trip than most pickups or midsized SUVs/CUVs.

A few years back, my aunt traded her Explorer for a new Odyssey. She usually drives it to Florda a few times a year, has driven it out west, and we've been with her down to south. She often travels with friends, and around town she my cousin's kids are more or less her adopted grandchildren and it's handy for hauling all 5 of them around. She's loved it, and I always enjoy traveling in it. The center row buckets are every bit as comfortable and spacious as the front seats(important for me since I have long legs) and there again there's no shortage of luggage space.

I'm more of a car and pickup person(although it's been a while since I've had a pickup) but appreciate the utility of a van. With my fiancé and I planning on not wasting a lot of time after we get married to start a family, I could see one of us having one in our future.

I'm a long time Mopar guy, the reason why as a kid, my father bought a brand new Caravan in 1985 when I was born and we ran that thing to 350,000 when we retired it in 2001.

The current generation, the 5th Gen, will be the last generation and will be discontinued in May 2020 after 37 years of production. The Pacifica and the odd Chrysler Voyager will replace it.

Against the wind-
I recall my son telling me "the van" went 103 mph.
I think he was heading back to school in Golden. Probably was the downhill side of Monument Hill.
Anyways, he had an appt in Castle Rock a few weeks later.

Provocative decals-

In 2007 I got clocked 107mph in Alabama in rent-a-car Toyota Sienna. It was not downhill, just flat, it took a "little" bit to get to that speed. State Trooper wrote 19 above (70mph limit) as he told me: well, this is first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back