Email Service

Just read a post here talking about email.

What email provider do you use? Are there any really private ones that are good?

I have read about proton. Is there a catch?

I just signed up for the lowest cost protonmail service (not free); they also provide VPN which I see you had asked about elsewhere

Their stuff is the real deal for encrypted email IMHO. You can even send encrypted messages to non protonmail users.

Get a free account; if you like it you can upgrade to a paid one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I just signed up for the lowest cost protonmail service (not free); they also provide VPN which I see you had asked about elsewhere

Their stuff is the real deal for encrypted email IMHO. You can even send encrypted messages to non protonmail users.

Why did you upgrade to the paid one?

Originally Posted by Gebo

According to the below link, you only get 500 MB of space with the free account, which isn't much these days.

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/paid-plans/

Gmail absolutely SUCKS when it comes to privacy, just like all things Google.

Yo, sure, scan my email messages and attachments "anonymously."

But wait! I don't want to get this thread locked down by "The Locksmith" moderator. Clearly, it doesn't take too much.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Gebo

According to the below link, you only get 500 MB of space with the free account, which isn't much these days.

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/paid-plans/

Wow and even if you pay up, you only get 5GB. At least gmail gives you 15gb for free. And you could always spin up another gmail account and just use that to forward your email.

Privacy is over rated. I've had my gmail account for over 15 years. I've had to clean it out once in a while but still using the free service.

Originally Posted by dkryan

But wait! I don't want to get this thread locked down by "The Locksmith" moderator. Clearly, it doesn't take too much.

I'm not sure that gets political. Just depends how you view privacy. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Yeah so google knows everything I do, and then? There's never any reply after that.

We're bombard by ads all the time, on TV, on the streets, on your phone etc. You just have to be smart enough to ignore them.

big brother is always watching and listening in. if you own a smart phone smart speaker smart tv, cameras etc. email is juvenile compared to how the other tech is invading our privacy.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
gmail for personal email and yahoo for junk

LOL, same here.
My gmail is my first and middle initial and then my last name (I got the same for my wife and 2 kids).
my yahoo one is my name here (my online name).

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
gmail for personal email and yahoo for junk

Me too. I like GMail. My other is an off-shoot of Yahoo ..... att.net. No need to have att dish, internet or landline with it. It's free and available beyond any subscription.

Originally Posted by dkryan

You're using the internet, so you're being tracked. If you have a smartphone, you're being tracked. Good or bad, it's 2020 and it's just the way it is. If you think otherwise, you're a fool.

Here's a past from the past for you guys-

Still using a Juno account after almost 20 years...still works fine....

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Here's a past from the past for you guys-

Still using a Juno account after almost 20 years...still works fine....

I have my AOL account. Since 1994 I think.
Not a primary account, but still use it for junk mail stuff (besides my yahoo one).

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Gmail for junk, hotmail for everything else.

You have that backwards.
I get one spam per day on Google
I get 25 spams per day when I had Hotmail in 2016, which I thought went bye-bye a few years ago. Didn't Hotmail fold .... Outlook takeover maybe?

Back