Switching back from High mileage to regular.

I've been running high mileage oil for a while now. However my local TSC had mobil one advance synthetic on clearance for $15. I've wanted to try mobil one but couldn't justify spending more for it over Pennzoil platinum. You think I'll be good to run it? The vehicle is a 2010 jeep. Commander with 180,000 miles.

If you really aren't in a pinch and can spend more than $15, I'd stick to what HM oil you've been using. Changing oil type on a vehicle with that kind of mileage could cause oil leaks, or make an existing leak worse. Not to mention HM oil has more seal/gasket conditioner.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Nah. I just like buying things on sale. I know it could cause leaks. I just don't know how likely

How do you know that?

All motor oils have seal conditioners, not just HM. Mobil 1 will have varying levels of AN esters for seals...

Nah. I just like buying things on sale. I know it could cause leaks. I just don't know how likely

How will it cause leaks?

Originally Posted by PimTac

How will it cause leaks?

I did not say it would cause leaks I said it could. I have never had it happen to me just have heard stories.

Last edited:
You will be fine. This thing about leaks is a left over from the days people ran regular gp2 oil that would build up a varnish on the inside of the motor and insulate the seals from the seal conditioners. After many miles and heat cycles the seals may shrink or dry out but the varnish had them sealed. Then they switched to then true synthetic gp5 esters that have very good cleaning abilities and would wash away the varnish and some seepage would show up. Switching from a good gp3+ HM oil to a good gp3+ non HM will not change anything.

I did not say it would cause leaks I said it could. I have never had it happen to me just have heard stories.

Right.

Wow! It amazes me how $5 more for a 5 qt jug makes me get a little crazy. How stupid am I? I think nothing about driving 1 1/2 hours for Cold Stone.

I would drive 30 minutes to save $5 on a 5 qt jug of oil or get a coupon that took 4 emails and two 20 minute phone calls to someone who couldn't speak English
trying to get my $10 savings.

I believe I get more stupid on saving $5 on a 5 qt container of oil than when I used to try to have sexual relations with my wife when I used
to come home (30 years ago) with an alcohol induced sex drive. Looking back, boy was I stupid. On both counts.

I think I have been delivered!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Your engine will fall out...

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I'd crush up two Tylenol, whisk the powdery dust in a small bowl with 6 oz of any-Dino and add it in.
Call you mechanic in the morning.

Back