Mobil 1 15W50?

Hey guys I have a built up 331 stroker in a fox body Mustang that makes pretty good power for its size and see frequent 7k rpm shifts. I was debating trying either Mobil 1 15w50 or Pennzoil Euro 5W40. The local engine builder is a Ford nut and although he didnt build the engine he says he always recommends regular 10w30 and never synthetic because all it does is burn in these motors. I had Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10w30 in it for a little while but I started to notice some blue smoke. I really dont think it being synthetic has anything to do with it burning. So do I step it up to 15w50 or do I try like 10W30 VR1 non synthetic? My only concern with thick oil is snapping an oil pump shaft at high rpm since its got a high volume oil pump and constantly see around 60/70 psi unless its at idle. Currently it has Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage and there is no smoke but Im worried about the oil thinning out.

Is this your daily driver? If not, wonder how a mono grade 30 would do? Does Pennzoil still make PYB SAE30?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is this your daily driver? If not, wonder how a mono grade 30 would do? Does Pennzoil still make PYB SAE30?

Is this 1960?

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Is this 1960?

You tell me. Do you know how to read?

I'd try Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 or 10W-40...

Um....

Originally Posted by Realfine69
Currently it has Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage and there is no smoke but Im worried about the oil thinning out.

Um....

Currently it has Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage and there is no smoke but Im worried about the oil thinning out.

Then he has the wrong worry...

Um....

That's why I recommended the mono grade, for shear stability. He stated his oil may be thinning out. If it's a weekend/track toy, there's no need for a multigrade. He can go cheap and try an otc mono grade,or go boutique and try an expensive dedicated racing mono grade.

Hey guys I have a built up 331 stroker in a fox body Mustang that makes pretty good power for its size and see frequent 7k rpm shifts. I was debating trying either Mobil 1 15w50 or Pennzoil Euro 5W40. The local engine builder is a Ford nut and although he didnt build the engine he says he always recommends regular 10w30 and never synthetic because all it does is burn in these motors. I had Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10w30 in it for a little while but I started to notice some blue smoke. I really dont think it being synthetic has anything to do with it burning. So do I step it up to 15w50 or do I try like 10W30 VR1 non synthetic? My only concern with thick oil is snapping an oil pump shaft at high rpm since its got a high volume oil pump and constantly see around 60/70 psi unless its at idle. Currently it has Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage and there is no smoke but Im worried about the oil thinning out.

I want to hear OVERKILL's recommendation, meantime I'd recommend M1 0w40. Easy to get at Wal Mart
grin.gif

Um....

That's why I recommended the mono grade, for shear stability. He stated his oil may be thinning out. If it's a weekend/track toy, there's no need for a multigrade. He can go cheap and try an otc mono grade,or go boutique and try an expensive dedicated racing mono grade.

It's probably more the base oil/GTL SOPUS uses than VII's. And PP/PPHM/PUP tend to run a bit on the thin side..

I doubt there is much VII in a syn 10W oil anyways...

If you're using M1` HM 10W-40 and not having an issue, why would you go down to a thin'ish 5W-40 from an OEM that already burned off a bit?

I'd give the M1 a chance and monitor oil consumption...

The 15w-40 hdeo oils are some of the best oils on the market. Let the oil get up to operating temps before WOT.

So the car isnt a daily driver. Cold starts are next to never with this thing, It never really sees anything below 60 degrees. I currently have the intake off because Im changing the lifters which I hope werent taking out by the thinned out 10w30 pennzoil. The problem was I had installed a new carb that had a power valve issue and it was running extremely rich and washing down the cylinders for a little bit. the 10w30 was maybe only in there for about 200 miles. 120 of that was with the old carb running fine. I think the thin fuel dilluted oil was what wiped out my lifters because they were fine before had and then a few runs on the dyno after with the thin oil they all started making noise. So now that the intake is off and the oil pan has some coolant in it I once again need to change it. Theres probably only 60 miles on the 10w40 high mileage in there now but it still has to come. I switched to that in hopes to obviously clear up the smoke which did stop (but the oil was shot) and to help the lifters quiet down but no luck. I have used 15w40 rotella in the past but I would like to stick with synthetic. Everyone keeps telling me that the newer formulas arent that good and are better suited in diesels lugging around at 1800 rpm at full throttle. Anywho thats why I thought about using the 15w50 synthetic especially for the extra zinc and additives for the high performance engines.

If your lifters were wiped by fuel diluted oil, you could have more damage. Before buttoning back up, it might be wise to mic your cam to see if lobes haven't been flattened a bit. Also, if it was bad enough, you may have hurt your rod and main bearings and journals.

Back