Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Pentosin has come out with Pentospeed 0W20,
for these applications.

VI 203.
Nope.

LOL
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by geeman789
These oils seem to be very similar ... splitting hairs close enough that price and availability would be my deciding factor.

We are in agreement. I don't see where any is a clear winner. However, all look excellent.

I was on a mission to track down a copy of this original .pdf file, so I e-mailed ATO24.

They were nice enough to send me a copy of the report (which is in German?), which I have attached. They apologized for not having an English version, but that's O.K...I think we know how to interpret the numbers.

:)

Ed

Attachments

• ATO24_Ölanalyse_0W-20_VW_50800_50900.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 145
  • image_2020_10_05T11_45_32_050Z.jpg
    image_2020_10_05T11_45_32_050Z.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 216
Not in the test list, but Amsoil came out with a 508 oil equivalent:

I also didn't care too much about interpretation.... they all met the 508 and other specs and IMO, all are good, and if you have an Asian engine in the driveway, along with the German makes, I would have no problem using a 508/C20 across the makes.

The dealer fluid switched from BP/Castrol to ExxonMobil... The dealer pricing was tolerable but beyond most walmart/rebate only shoppers common here... ECS stocks OE, Pentosin, LiquiMoly, and Motul. Amazon has Ravenol, Motul, Liquimoly, and OI. DAP has Motul and OE. Blauparts has Ravenol. Can't find a reseller of the Castrol. And, since most meet other Euro specs, you can visit 'other' dealers for their OE in an emergency.

If there is no oil available that has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-20, you may add a total of no more than 1/2 quart (0.5 liter) of an engine oil that meets the oil quality standard VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 and has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, or SAE 5W-40.
Using oil with a viscosity grade other than SAE 0W-20 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly....
I guess that is why they don't recommend more than a pint but would wager you could get away with a full sump of the 502 or 504 😉😜 I tend to add that pint of 5w40 1st and top off with 508 during the OCI. Can only hope that VAG isn't using the consumers to R&D their thinner oils...

Can only hope that VAG isn't using the consumers to R&D their thinner oils...

Autobild in germany did a durability test on the Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 140 kw 190 hp.

0w20 vw508.00 was used for this engine.

Autobild's conclusion after 100,000km: little wear and tear, clean pistons without deposits, very low oil consumption, so it seems to work well for the vw group too.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-a4-avant-2.0-tfsi-100.000-kilometer-dauertest-14672351.html

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.53.11 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.53.19 PM.jpg

All those 100k, 60k, bazillion mile tests are useless. None are even close to a soccer moms driving habits. I can hop into almost ANY car and drive 60k miles non-stop, with normal maintenance and fill ups, and come to the same conclusion on just about ANY car. It took my wife 12 years to go 100k miles with 99% city driving and no engine can survive her too numerous to count short tripping and lukewarm restarts.

So, I could care less what some taxi cab fleet, automaker, or magazine does with their drive around testing. They could hire the wife but it would take a decade to get real data, but if I look the other way, about 3 years for her to sludge ANY engine. And yes, she has no problem trashing every engine she ever has owned into a rattling nightmare full of sludge/varnish/crud with every known engine problem that is common to her driving style type. I sometimes let her do dealer only maintenance, with reminders when I get tired of maintaining her vehicles.

Some of us don't drive for a magazine for a living. Some of us actually commute..... and 60k miles is a nuthinburga. Have autobild post back in 250k miles or 400k km, or limit all trips while testing to less than 5 miles, with a cooldown, prior to proceeding, without ever letting the engine fully warm up. Yeah, that might impress me.

I don't have a problem with 508 oils. I do believe some driving styles with destroy it. And, until the 508 oils have been used for a decade, I could care less about automaker R&D or silly 60k mile magazine oil test, which is nothing when my driveway has a fleet with 700k miles of driving on it.
My 508 equipped VW is the youngest and lowest mileage vehicle in the driveway, and to avoid unknown misengineering issues with VAG, is on a 5000 miles oil/filter change interval.

Ask me in about 8.5 years what I think about the 1.4T and its diet of 508. I'll give you a real opinion on how well VW did with this oil, on a car with multiple drivers, real driving commutes/trips, including women drivers and teenagers.

for sure REAL WORLD testing is done by the owners + those first buyers of new tech can get a RUDE awaking like all the fanfare about DI which is STILL having ISSUES!!! no 20Ws in anything i own, girlfriends CHEEP but NICE preowned 18 Kia Optima bought in 19 with 8 thou on it is doing well on todays fake synthetic 10-30 Quaker state ultimate durability @ under $20 for 5 qts + a $5 OE filter every 6 months usually under 5 thou!! i love Vag volkswagen auto group cars but nothing new for me, traded my 200 thou 2001 jetta on a 38 thou 2001 Audi TT 225Q roadster, my retirement present!!

Last edited:
I use the Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200 because that's what I could get the easiest. Paid $58.76 for it on ECSTuning and had them sell me Hengst filter. And I also fit in at my race shop where most everyone uses Liqui Moly in their snazzy go fast and turn fast cars. I'm finally in the cool club.

Only Ravenol is full synthetic PAO base. It is also the most expensive we can find in EU. Ravenol usually hold the viscosity well after being heated to 150C because of PAO base. MANNOL is the cheapest from Lithuania with 508/509 approval. It is mainly HC base or type III, About €35 for 5 L. Many manufacturers use terms full synthetic but no more in EU, because only with minimum 70% PAO can have fullsynthetic label.

Only Ravenol is full synthetic PAO base. It is also the most expensive we can find in EU. Ravenol usually hold the viscosity well after being heated to 150C because of PAO base. MANNOL is the cheapest from Lithuania with 508/509 approval. It is mainly HC base or type III, About €35 for 5 L. Many manufacturers use terms full synthetic but no more in EU, because only with minimum 70% PAO can have fullsynthetic label.
That's an EU rule or law? Can you cite a reference or link?

Not in the test list, but Amsoil came out with a 508 oil equivalent:

I also didn't care too much about interpretation.... they all met the 508 and other specs and IMO, all are good, and if you have an Asian engine in the driveway, along with the German makes, I would have no problem using a 508/C20 across the makes.

The dealer fluid switched from BP/Castrol to ExxonMobil... The dealer pricing was tolerable but beyond most walmart/rebate only shoppers common here... ECS stocks OE, Pentosin, LiquiMoly, and Motul. Amazon has Ravenol, Motul, Liquimoly, and OI. DAP has Motul and OE. Blauparts has Ravenol. Can't find a reseller of the Castrol. And, since most meet other Euro specs, you can visit 'other' dealers for their OE in an emergency.

If there is no oil available that has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-20, you may add a total of no more than 1/2 quart (0.5 liter) of an engine oil that meets the oil quality standard VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 and has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, or SAE 5W-40.
Using oil with a viscosity grade other than SAE 0W-20 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly....
I guess that is why they don't recommend more than a pint but would wager you could get away with a full sump of the 502 or 504 😉😜 I tend to add that pint of 5w40 1st and top off with 508 during the OCI. Can only hope that VAG isn't using the consumers to R&D their thinner oils...
I get the OEM VW 508 ( Mobil made) for just over $8 a qt. Not a bad price in my book. Sure would be cheaper if available in 5qt jugs but that's not how is sold I just stick to the OEM fluid for the price and availability.

https://www.ato24.de/en/blog/comparison-0w-20-engine-oils is one of the most reputable engine and transmission oil seller in Germany. All engine and transmission oil rarely shows vollsynthetisch but only say synthetisch for non full PAO base oil. Even RAVENOL do not label all of its oil vollsynthetisch, some only synthetisch including 0w-20 HSE. However other 0w-20 from Ravenol (VSE, DFE, ECS) are all vollsynthetisch and the price also match well. You can see Castrol, Shell, Mobil1, etc. do not put vollsynthetisch label either in EU, because they have less than 70% PAO. The cheapest 0w-20 from Mannol only say synthetic too, and I got email from their costumer service, they cannot put vollsynthetisch label because it contains mostly group III oil. What we usually do in EU, we just buy oil that got actual approval from the manufacturer (VW, Benz, BMW, Volvo, or ACEA). Very rarely we have API certified such as SN+, or SP because they have their own certification.

Back