CV axle shaft vertical play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update/questions:

In park, parking brake off, how much play in the diff is too much? I put the tire back on to amplify the motion in the video as follows:

Don't mind the bounce house fan blowing in the background...

I fully removed the cv axle from the hub, found zero basis for any play in the hub on that side at all. The can itself had a minimal amount of play. So small it was hard for me to discern if if was different from the normal in/out plunging play which was the same as the other side. Both cv axles slide inboard and outboard the same and same smoothness.

I put a thick washer between the bolt head and the washer that's supposed to bend into place, and torqued it to spec. Much, much better. So I think the theory about the bolt length is correct.

But I did find two things:

1) the differential motion as seen in the video above. Both sides have the same degree of movement so I assume it is inside the diff. Is this an issue? There's not the same kind of play on the driveshaft.

2) because I was comparing side to side, I did check for play with the tires attached, holding onto the tire at 3&9, and 6&12. The tire on the side with the suspect cv that I've been working on (right) had zero play. The other side had a small amount of play when wiggling the tire at the 6&12 position. That side cv seems just fine - I'm assuming that IS a sign of a wheel bearing going bad?

Thanks!!

I have seen a lot more play than that in these W123 diesel cars and go on for many years, change the fluid as specified and it will be fine IMO. A slight amount of play is totally normal but seems more than it really is, the wheel diameter amplifies the amount of play.
Movement as you describe at the 6 and 12 o'clock indicates some bearing/hub wear, a very slight amount isn't going to cause any immediate trouble just keep an eye on it once in a while and listen for any noise coming from that area.

It seems like when they did the CV axles someone screwed the pooch and either used a bolt that is too long and/or left a spacer washer out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back