Locker plants are swamped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Now I am pretty much vegetarian except for chicken.

Kinda like saying you're Kosher except for bacon.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by atikovi

You looking to get a meat locker or looking to get frozen when you die?

I'm looking to get frozen INSTEAD of dying.

Well then look up Alcor.

Any relation to Oncor frozen foods?

[Linked Image from on-cor.s3.amazonaws.com]

atikovi: I worked with a Jewish guy who was kosher except for Sunday mornings when we'd find each other at a bar/restaurant. He'd get scrambled 2 on a roll with bacon. He saw me the first time and said, "Don't tell my wife".

I said, "I won't...but it's going to cost you"

Originally Posted by double vanos
They're not called slaughter houses anymore. Nowadays the politically correct term is "restructuring centers".

Or "processing centers".

Originally Posted by Kira
atikovi: I worked with a Jewish guy who was kosher except for Sunday mornings when we'd find each other at a bar/restaurant. He'd get scrambled 2 on a roll with bacon. He saw me the first time and said, "Don't tell my wife".

I said, "I won't...but it's going to cost you"

There was an Indian guy I knew in college who said he didn't eat any beef. But he like hamburgers. He thought it was ham. We told him it was beef and he was about to throw it out so we just told him it was ham and to eat it. He'd been eating them all this time so there was no point setting him straight while he was in the middle of eating lunch.

Well then look up Alcor.

Any relation to Oncor frozen foods?

Nope, it's 200k to get your whole body frozen and 80k for just your head. You can fund it with a life insurance policy.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by loneryder
Could you explain how a meat locker works?

a huge walk in 0 degree freezer that had lockable drawers that customers kept their frozen meat in. Like a bank's safe deposit area for frozen meat.

So what happens if the power goes out for a few days after a storm or the refrigeration conks out? Is the meat insured? Are there backup systems? Just checking in case I want to get myself frozen at the end.

For critical materials like pharmaceuticals, we use dual refrigeration/freezer units. Each temperature controlled chamber has two compressors/fans units. They alternate. If one compressor or fan breaks, the other unit runs and we repair the broken unit. If both units break, we have other temperature controlled chambers to move the contents to. We have back up generators to run the units should the power go out. The units are monitored continuously and alarmed. I'd imagine a high value meat locker wouldn't skimp on back up plans.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
critters?
confused2.gif

When beef gets low they substitute critters for hamburgers. Nothing like ground racoon.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by P10crew
Pim not so around here. Meat lockers are very abundant and in high demand. Big big difference in quality of meat in farm raised vs feedlot roided up meat.

Where you located at roughly wild man ??

My great uncle Bobby had a good sized cattle farm in southwest Va... In Bland county... Wolf Creek ran through his property... His property actually stretched across interstate 77 and up a mountain called Hogback Mtn...

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by loneryder
Could you explain how a meat locker works?

a huge walk in 0 degree freezer that had lockable drawers that customers kept their frozen meat in. Like a bank's safe deposit area for frozen meat.

So what happens if the power goes out for a few days after a storm or the refrigeration conks out? Is the meat insured? Are there backup systems? Just checking in case I want to get myself frozen at the end.

Can't answer that hypothetical since it never happened when I worked there, never heard of it being a problem (I was friends of the owners). He did his own refrigeration repairs, there was a row of 15 or so compressors in the basement. There was no gas generator anywhere. Can imagine nobody opened the door if power was out.

Where I worked pigs came in whole (gutted), beef was already halfed or quartered. They told me about the old days when they processed live chickens, I remember what looked like a long sawhorse out back in the weeds that had large funnel shaped metal cones attached....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back