2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI

I have no personal experience with Maserati but haven't heard or read many good things. It is beautiful and they sound fantastic, true.

With regard to Arco's post: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...62/re-2019-2020-vw-jetta-gli#Post5392462

Only in 2007+ was the ZF6 automatic available. And then there are the camshaft variators (seeminly worse in the automatics). And the phantom electrical loads that lower batt. voltage to the point where all manner of logic modules behave strangely. And then there is the wet cyl. block design (problematic in Alfa's... who knows in the Maser). And then there is the very, very substantial fuel consumption. And then there is the 4.2 litre engine... mismatched by way of operating characteristic to the automatic (versus the single clutch automated manual it was originally tuned to). I could go on, but...

Last edited:
The Kid is not going to buy a Maserati. I threw that out for us old guys.

Yes that engine needs a 1/2 ton lighter car with a close ratio MT.

But its not a obvious as the Quattroporte

or like that terrible mismatch "mistake" the SHO Taurus with the Yamaha 60deg V8 .

Yes I owned one for a couple weeks then ditched it.

My good friend has a SHO V6 he cares for like a baby keeping it running well and in mint condition.

Great guy.

Imagine if ford put that Yamahaha engine in a light weight SVO "Stang with a stick?

I vote for find another G37 maybe an IPL or Anniversary if budget allows, and ideally one that's had BITOG compulsive maintenance. Alternatly the 14-15 Lexus IS/GS350 are down to under $20k with reasonable miles and you can get a clean 15 RC350 for about $25k if you wanna roll the dice on a first year model.

Good time to buy...

Screenshot_20200404-123745_Facebook.jpg

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
TCU...yes, spend the $$ for the Autobahn trim, that's what makes it so A4-ish.

It will never be A4. It might look like to someone who does not care or does not know.

Rarely do I agree with you, but if you are gonna own a German diva it mine as well be an MB S550 or a S.C. 3.0 A6.

It will never be A4. It might look like to someone who does not care or does not know. [/quote]

I've rented A4s and Q5s from Silvercar by Audi and I see lots of similarities. The beauty of living in an allegedly free country is that I am entitled to my own opinion and will share it as I see fit. To be fair, the ventilated/cooled seats in the VW are nicer than the non-cooled seats in the Audis I have rented and I truly don't care one way or the other about exterior mirrors that fold when the car is turned off. I DO wish VW sold an AWD version of the GLI, but I guess that's too much to expect.

I wouldn't worry about oil consumption as Eddy noted. I owned a 2013 GTI I bought new. I had to add 1/2 a quart every 4k miles. That started after it had 100k plus on it. My brother owns it now with over 170k on it. My wife bought her Audi new and it doesn't consume any oil nor has it has a single issue ,but only has 65kish on it.

Did a test drive on Saturday and I like what I experienced! VW has some good deals going on right now but this particular sales guy gave me a laughable offer for my trade in, so I'm going to wait for now. Will probably pull the trigger in 3 weeks or so.

Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
but this particular sales guy gave me a laughable offer for my trade in,

It's the times we live in and not necessarily that particular sales guy, IMO. What car are you trying to trade in?

Lightly used cars don't sell because there are some really good incentives and 0% financing on brand new ones. So people either buy brand new cars or old cheap cars that they can pay cash for. The rest of the stuff in the middle is a tough sell.

Did a test drive on Saturday and I like what I experienced! VW has some good deals going on right now but this particular sales guy gave me a laughable offer for my trade in, so I'm going to wait for now. Will probably pull the trigger in 3 weeks or so.

Just for laughs, Go to the closest Carmax and see what they offer you for the car...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
but this particular sales guy gave me a laughable offer for my trade in,

It's the times we live in and not necessarily that particular sales guy, IMO. What car are you trying to trade in?

Lightly used cars don't sell because there are some really good incentives and 0% financing on brand new ones. So people either buy brand new cars or old cheap cars that they can pay cash for. The rest of the stuff in the middle is a tough sell.

It's a 2013 G37S 6MT. 85k miles and in good shape. Said the Carfax is bad because previous owner had a minor collision. KBB ranges from 10.5 to 13 and they offered 7 at first then 8 when I was leaving. Problem is I still owe about 15 on it so I don't want too much negative equity.

It's a 2013 G37S 6MT. 85k miles and in good shape. Said the Carfax is bad because previous owner had a minor collision. KBB ranges from 10.5 to 13 and they offered 7 at first then 8 when I was leaving. Problem is I still owe about 15 on it so I don't want too much negative equity.

If you are upside down on the loan, now is not the time to be looking for a new car.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech

If you are upside down on the loan, now is not the time to be looking for a new car.

You're upside down on a car loan the minute you buy it. Besides, if I can pay off a smaller negative balance or better yet, get it rolled over to the new loan that would be at 0%, I'd be ok. That's why I want more than 8 for it. If I get 11 or 12, I can pay off the rest.

If you wait until certain global events start to subside you will get closer to $12-13k on that car selling it private party. Dealers will do what dealers do, pay you $7500 and put it up for sale at $13995.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid

It will never be A4. It might look like to someone who does not care or does not know.

I've rented A4s and Q5s from Silvercar by Audi and I see lots of similarities. The beauty of living in an allegedly free country is that I am entitled to my own opinion and will share it as I see fit. To be fair, the ventilated/cooled seats in the VW are nicer than the non-cooled seats in the Audis I have rented and I truly don't care one way or the other about exterior mirrors that fold when the car is turned off. I DO wish VW sold an AWD version of the GLI, but I guess that's too much to expect.

Absolutely you are, in free and not free countries.
Thing is, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Last edited:
Back