Local dealership charges $15 for an oil change.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And $25 for synthetic. They use Pennzoil straight from the bottle. They literally do hundreds a week. My question is how much work could they possibly generate to charge these prices? I've used them for many years and they do a great job. Is it a no brainer to pay the extra $10 and get synthetic?

They also want to change air and cabin filter.

Does a customer have a check engine light on ?

Need a new battery or wiper blades ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
They also want to change air and cabin filter.

Does a customer have a check engine light on ?

Need a new battery or wiper blades ?

Absolutely. And I'm sure they get lots of other jobs as well.

Plus you walk around the showroom and look at all the shiny metal, chat with your salesperson. It's a very smart loss leader.

I'm sure it includes a free inspection, and I bet they find something wrong on every inspection, being a dealer people are more likely to take their car that's still under warranty there and feel more pressure that they have to fix every supposed issue that they find.

Provided they've got the resources, I think it's smart marketing to get work into the shop.

They probably look the car over during the oil change and recommend replacing everything under the hood.

If you go to these places several times, and refuse all work they "recommend", you might find they have a change of attitude when they see you walk in.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
The oil change is just the hook to bring in the fish.

Feel free to snack on the cheap appetizers and pass on the Filet Mignon. You don't have to get reeled in.

The quick oil change places do oil changes probably at cost but their business model is to get $75 from every car that comes in via additional services.

The dealer has even more services to upsell than the quick oil change places plus obviously new cars to wander around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Harrington
And $25 for synthetic. They use Pennzoil straight from the bottle. They literally do hundreds a week. My question is how much work could they possibly generate to charge these prices? I've used them for many years and they do a great job. Is it a no brainer to pay the extra $10 and get synthetic?

Transitowne Dodge?

They're trolling for warranty work and whatever else you need. I think they have some sort of sweetheart deal from Pennzoil and have been using them forever...

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
If you go to these places several times, and refuse all work they "recommend", you might find they have a change of attitude when they see you walk in.

I doubt it. It's a numbers game to them. You tell other people about the deal and they end up buying something even if you don't. Just good business sense. I've done a few sales myself where the original client didn't end up getting anything but I ended up with some referrals and ended up getting business that way. A lot of my business lately has been repeat sales and referrals.

My dealer offers free oil changes for life. Very smart of them and good for the customer if he understands what is happening.

Originally Posted by walterjay
My dealer offers free oil changes for life. Very smart of them and good for the customer if he understands what is happening.

Something tells me they Jack the prices of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back