Owner of newer BWM cycles, do you use the BMW Syn oil made by Shell?

Originally Posted by Hermann
Been that price forever.

I've seen it go as high as $6-7/qt, and more than once have seen it out of stock.

Regardless, it's a great oil.

Originally Posted by jeff78
Been that price forever.

I've seen it go as high as $6-7/qt, and more than once have seen it out of stock.

Regardless, it's a great oil.

It is. They have the syn version for $7 right now also, along with the $4.50 dino. Used it for the last year or so in the old Beemer for top offs. Rode the old Beemer the other day and had a lovely 50 mile ride.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Congrats on the new bike, OP.

Thanks, the news said and I confirmed on Gobble that the Berlin factory shut down Wednesday at midnight. Unless my sold/priority order got built in two weeks and is in transit or I will be a waiting.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The reason I gave some thought to the Valvoline dino is changing it out every 2k for a continuously silky smooth clutch engagement.

It will most likely go more than 2000 miles.

I imagine that it is a tad better than the dinos of 1982.
grin.gif

If that oil only goes 2000 miles and you have to change it to maintain a silky shift, consider an oil that doesn't shear down?

You have probably read enough around here enough to know that protection doesn't drop off. If shifting with the motorcycle oil is good, run it until the shifting isn't.

Or Mobil 1 10w40 4T. You won't be wasting oil in terms of recycling it twice as frequently as you can go 5,000 miles or more and it won't shear down.

Just having a little bit of fun, but I never understand the arbitrary oil change when there's no compelling reason to do it.

Originally Posted by Bonz
If that oil only goes 2000 miles and you have to change it to maintain a silky shift, consider an oil that doesn't shear down?

You have probably read enough around here enough to know that protection doesn't drop off. If shifting with the motorcycle oil is good, run it until the shifting isn't.

Or Mobil 1 10w40 4T. You won't be wasting oil in terms of recycling it twice as frequently as you can go 5,000 miles or more and it won't shear down.

Just having a little bit of fun, but I never understand the arbitrary oil change when there's no compelling reason to do it.

It has been 28 years since I have rode a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Never had any oil back then last more than 2K. Today's oil for wet clutches is much different, it is designed for wet clutches, back then there was no such thing as a JASO oil or I was just ignorant that it was available. First time I ever heard of the original JASO standard was during the 1.5 year prison sentence working at a Metric motorcycle shop. Suzuki's mineral (their term) oil was the first label I ever saw with the JASO rating. People would come in with slipping clutches and by George about half were salvaged with the Suzuki oil. Never used any myself as by then I had had my dry clutch Beemer for 4 years.

Does not look like I will have my new bike soon as the factory is still shut down. They are going to evaluate this coming Friday.

Safe hibernating to all.

Maybe find one already at a Dealer. If it's not in your State, fly out and ride it home. Or have it delivered to you.

Last edited:
The closest is in Comufornia. It has probably been been neutered by CARB so no thanks.

Saw that one and it is not equipped to my liking. Also I am not allowed to tell you why I do not like the gold. It's not PC

Saw that one also, it does not have the select package. I an not in that big of a hurry. I have a decent bike to ride. If it goes on too long, they will be offering a perk or two.
grin2.gif

NOOOOO everything BMW is way $$$, use any 15-50 that meets the spec in my 650 thumper

Originally Posted by benjy
NOOOOO everything BMW is way $$$, use any 15-50 that meets the spec in my 650 thumper

Extremely articulate and knowledgeable responses; another BITOG service provided at no extra charge.

Back