Internet speeds in current climate.

those are good speeds for dsl, i have heard trash talk on dsl but with those speeds.. i'd say believe what you see and not hear.

Pretty normal for me. The only issue I have is when I have to remote into one of our work machines from home while the cloud backups are running - at least until our Gigabit contract starts.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It's very interesting to see the wide disparity in speeds from different locations. I live in a county with a population around 1 million and there is nothing available even close to what many of you get. I'm on ATT DSL/bonded pair and getting reliable 30/6 (which has been satisfactory for most everything I do). I do have comcast available, but when I had their service (75/??) I would get occasional periods of ridiculously low speeds - like 3/.5). After multiple attempts by cc to fix it, and them trying to charge me for a new install when they were looking for "suck outs" in their system (admitted they had a signal problem in my area), I dumped them and vowed never again. Hopefully ATT will someday finally deploy fiber in my neighborhood.

We use Fidelity Communications Internet and currently we are getting around
120 mbs. It's plenty to run our laptop, tablet, phones, and 4K tv.

Thread is almost 3 years old, a lot has changed since the OP.
With that said, moving to a new community soon and I will select the slowest low cost Fiber-Optic speed I can at 300/300 and hope it doesnt get pushed higher. Choice goes up to 1GB but its a waste to me nothing we own with our Roku boxes, 4k TVs, 5 computers, 2 landlines (1 personal, 1 business), 2 cell phones, alarm system demands more than the 300 Mbps.

Thread is almost 3 years old, a lot has changed since the OP.
With that said, moving to a new community soon and I will select the slowest low cost Fiber-Optic speed I can at 300/300 and hope it doesnt get pushed higher. Choice goes up to 1GB but its a waste to me nothing we own with our Roku boxes, 4k TVs, 5 computers, 2 landlines (1 personal, 1 business), 2 cell phones, alarm system demands more than the 300 Mbps.
You make a great point about not paying for more than you need. I had been using Fios gigabit service, but read that I was probably only using a fraction of that bandwidth. Moved to their 400 Mbps service and didn’t notice any issues. Saved $30 per month and Fios ended up increasing the speed to 500 Mbps for free…

You make a great point about not paying for more than you need. I had been using Fios gigabit service, but read that I was probably only using a fraction of that bandwidth. Moved to their 400 Mbps service and didn’t notice any issues. Saved $30 per month and Fios ended up increasing the speed to 500 Mbps for free…
Cool story.
Yeah, typical family can do just fine on 200 Mbps and never notice a difference of anything higher. The problem for the internet companies is keeping up profit margins now that so many people are going to streaming services directly and not subscribing to their pay TV tier.
So what do those companies do? Make it sound like a great bonus, keep bumping up speed that no one will use but they can charge higher prices for and maintain/grow profits further. One just has to look around and ask why cant they buy 50 or 100 Mbps service anymore.

The good news now is there is some competition from wireless carriers TMobile and Verizon. Though with the wireless carriers you need to be close to a cell tower and if you're lucky to have that you can get reliable speeds of 200 Mbps or more. I picked up a 5g signal on my cell phone near a tower that the speed test showed 5g speed of 700Mbps.

ATT should be along for the ride soon and the 5g network will keep growing by leaps and bounds moving forward increasing pressure on the traditional "landline" internet providers.
"Landline" interesting word isnt it? Will they go the way of the landline telephone service one day? We are only at the cusp of 5g service.

We recently sold our house, now in an apartment "in town" while the new house gets completed. The tenants here dont all subscribe to Spectrum internet anymore. Nearby T-Mobile 5g tower has many tenants using TMobile home internet instead and they are very happy with it. We use Spectrum as my wife works from home and could not chance messing around with service for the short time we are staying here. The first year is cheap anyway and we are only here for 6 months, close on the new home in a few weeks.

We already ordered service with the new internet provider, being a new community its all fiber. Took the cheapest package at $57.95 250/250 which is a GAINT step up from our last decade of paying for Spectrum cable Internet of 200/12 when we sold it might have been as high as 300/12 which is so overpriced for what it is.

Last edited:
I have FIOS gigabit. It's symmetric. About 960 Mb.

Way more than I need but why not my employer pays for it.
Funny, my wife's company ALWAYS paid for it for all their remote employees, 2 years ago at most they stopped paying got it. Wife was very upset of course, so was I. :mad:

Funny, my wife's company ALWAYS paid for it for all their remote employees, 2 years ago at most they stopped paying got it. Wife was very upset of course, so was I. :mad:
My employer also paid for an ultra wide monitor for me. I had one I paid for, it broke so they paid for a new one.

And I paid $50 for an iPhone XR and they pay the bill which I have never seen.

I prefer to have business stuff on a business phone, not mix everything on one phone.

My employer also paid for an ultra wide monitor for me. I had one I paid for, it broke so they paid for a new one.

And I paid $50 for an iPhone XR and they pay the bill which I have never seen.

I prefer to have business stuff on a business phone, not mix everything on one phone.
Yes my wife does not give out her personal number, never will. She has work landline which is part of the work system and VON to her company in another state.

Calls go to voicemail after 5pm and on weekends, holidays and PTO.
Dell business computer and 2 -27 “monitors are supplied by her company
They supply everything, including the chair she picked out and a specialized mouse she picked out meant to reduce repetitive stress syndrome, but no longer the Internet connection.
The unfair part is being she’s an employee and her employer does not pay for the Internet connection. She still cannot write it off on her taxes.

Last edited:
I've had 50/50 from Frontier FiOS since 2014. From 2005-2014 I had 25/25 from Verizon FiOS. Frontier took over Verizon's FiOS business here in 2014 and bumped me to 50/50 because that was the "slowest" service they offered at the time. Now, the minimum is 100/100. There's no need for me to change and pay more money because 50/50 has always been very consistent and has offered more than adequate bandwidth for my needs. I pay $60 a month for it, internet service only. My plan is more or less grandfathered because it's not offered anymore. The "lowest cost" 100/100 plan is $85/month after the first year introductory price of $50/month.

The "lowest cost" 100/100 plan is $85/month after the first year introductory price of $50/month.
That is insanely expensive. Unless that is a typo and you meant 1000/1000 which is 1 GB service.
I just ordered internet service at our soon to be new house and 1gb service is $77.95 /on special for $67.95
But I still declined and took 250/250 for $57.95 not on special price when we move in later this month.

Spectrum in my current location is $74.95 maybe $79.95 for 300/300 or 250/250 once the one year special of $50 expires

Last edited:
Could be worse. I remember there was someone on BITOG talking about his daughter possibly moving to a small island in the Aleutians to teach at a local school. The internet prices were crazy high and possibly slower than dialup speeds.

Back