Anyone here using a AGM battery for their mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem to me that using something that sits all winter should have an AGM battery, so you don't have to keep in on a charger for extended periods on non use.
Unless I am missing something obvious here???

If it matters for my application I am using a U1 type battery.

I could see an AGM lasting longer due to the vibrations the battery experiences and you could mount those in any orientation, but they are twice as much as a comparable FLA battery.

My Ferris ZTR came with a deep cycle battery, it was just a SLA battery. It lasted 5 years though.

I made my own jumper, using an AGM battery. It still loses voltage sitting there so, I throw it on the maintainer at least once per month as I think they should be.

I use a 4.99 HF floater evry so often on my UH-1.
grin2.gif

Where can you buy a U1 AGM battery? I've been running AGM in the Volvo for a long time now. Can't remember when I bought it, but it's been a long time. The prior [standard lead-acid] battery was purchased in 2005, so that makes 15 years on two batteries.

This...^^^^ I couldn't find an age anywhere in that size. Settled on a Deka flooded battery. Replaced an oreilly battery that was in the mower when I bought it in 2014.

I bought a small lawn mower sized AGM for my snowmobile. It was new for 18-19 winter. I forgot to put a maintainer on during summer. It was basically junk by fall of 19.

I wouldn't, and I've replaced lots of batteries for customer mowers over the years. The AGMs that fit are basically made for ATVs. Unless your mower is subject to an abnormal amount of vibration and abuse, or gets in "wheels up" situations a lot, they aren't worth the money over a standard battery, and you won't see improved battery life for the average homeowner lawn machine. My go-to replacements for customers are whatever Napa, WalMart, or the nearby Autozone has in stock, and I've never been disappointed.

The bottom line is buy the lawn battery with the best warranty and CCA's you can for the money. It's also just as important to make sure your wiring, battery leads, and grounds are good and clean. I've gotten 8 years out of a standard 340 CCA Interstate lawn battery from Home Depot. Granted, it was stored inside and on a garden tractor that is operated year round, but it's still pretty good for the $29.99 I originally paid for it. If your equipment is not used during the winter, disconnect the battery and keep it on the bench in the basement or garage where it's warmer and that alone will help extend it's life.

Originally Posted by andyd
I use a 4.99 HF floater evry so often on my UH-1.
grin2.gif

How's that working for ya?
I bought one also for $4.99 but, it was overcharging my batteries(>14.5v) when its spec sheet claimed to be at 13.2v. So, I returned it. My other float charger/maintainers do charge at those 13.4-13.5v.

I just didn't feel it to be safely charging at that voltage. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Stilling using the battery that came with mine when I bought my mower used, I just throw the battery tender on it occasionally and its still holding up well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Stilling using the battery that came with mine when I bought my mower used, I just throw the battery tender on it occasionally and its still holding up well.

How many years is that?

just put a JCI AGM for a motorcycle in the rider. cost maybe $20 more, made it fit. Starts great, probably faster than it did new.

I suspect, if there is a failure mode to watch for, it would be overcharging from a crude regulator. BUT, the original battery was a sealed AGM from from factory, and it made it 6 years. Why buy a $50 U1 for a year when a $70 AGM will last 6?

Too expensive. I still get 3-5 years from my OPE batteries I purchase froM Rural King or Walmart.

Last edited:
I do. I had an Odyssey PC 625 in my John Deere for 15 years and it finally gave out two years ago. So I got another AGM same size but half the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/192280658933

I don't boost them over the winter but thow the charger on it first start. it usually only takes 10 minutes to top them off.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Where can you buy a U1 AGM battery?

eBay, Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Terminal-Lawn-Mower-Warranty/dp/B07VRTW1X9/
Did you happen to notice that this item is currently unavailable? Beyond that, shipping charges on a battery are likely to be steep.

It was available when I created the post. How about this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/U1-12V-35A...echargeable-AGM-SLA-Battery/271556455893
$70 shipped, plus tax

I know you can get an AGM U1 from Interstates. It is hard to find though. Briggs and Stratton standby generators use them and if you try to use a regular U1 the maintainer eats them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back