Prolong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody remember the Prolong oil additive controversy? Interesting forum post here, makes me think there was more to the story than I was led to believe. Did they change the formula for the stuff on the shelf after the litigation?

Anybody used this? When this first came out, I saw the commercials of Al Unser Sr. driving many laps around a race track, without any oil in the car, but after they had used prolong. All oil was drained before the test. No damage was done. So I was talking with Smokey Yunick one day about this, and he too thought it was BS. So, being Smokey, he tested it. He told me he had tested about every oil known to man, and that ALL of them squished out of bearings at about 300 psi. Anything higher than that, and there was metal to metal contact on mains and rod bearings. So he tried prolong oil additive. He got close to 3,000 PSI before metal to metal contact. Many months later, we were talking again, and word had got out about his Prolong tests. Smokey then said that ALL the NASCAR teams were using it, whether they claimed so or not. I have been running it in vehicles ever since. SO I was thinking, since this Porch engine seems to have oiling problems when hard cornering, we ought to be using Prolong. My last vehicle was a Chevy 1996 extended cab pickup. I ran Prolong and REDLINE Synthetic oil, and grease since day one. I gave the truck away at 218,000 miles. The rear end, inside looked brand new out of the box. The engine ran like new as well. It also still had original ball joints, and they were fine. No I am not a salesman for these products. I first used REDLINE oil in the rear end of my sprint car. The temperature went down around 80 degrees using that oil, and nothing wore out.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1491412090

prolong-super-lubricants-car-fluids-chemicals-psl11000-64_1000.jpg

I'm not sure if it still does, but Prolong used to contain a good bit of chlorinated paraffins. It can be good for anti-wear but is also corrosive.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
When this first came out, I saw the commercials of Al Unser Sr. driving many laps around a race track, without any oil in the car, but after they had used prolong. All oil was drained before the test. No damage was done.

Many laps around a race track? Maybe do a 100 and report back. How about just keeping the engine full of oil? No damage will be done either without spending extra for an additive.

What's a porch engine? Did he do his oil testing with an engine maybe sitting on sawhorses on his front porch?
confused2.gif

I wonder if that was a German aviation wartime discovery like zinc dithiophosphate? I remember seeing a 1960's era STP display with the wording "Invented by German Scientist" with the circling electrons that was so popular in marketing back then.

Given the short life expectancy of a piston engined fighter corrosion wouldn't be a concern.

Last edited:
Anybody remember the Prolong oil additive controversy? Interesting forum post here, makes me think there was more to the story than I was led to believe. Did they change the formula for the stuff on the shelf after the litigation?

Anybody used this? When this first came out, I saw the commercials of Al Unser Sr. driving many laps around a race track, without any oil in the car, but after they had used prolong. All oil was drained before the test. No damage was done. So I was talking with Smokey Yunick one day about this, and he too thought it was BS. So, being Smokey, he tested it. He told me he had tested about every oil known to man, and that ALL of them squished out of bearings at about 300 psi. Anything higher than that, and there was metal to metal contact on mains and rod bearings. So he tried prolong oil additive. He got close to 3,000 PSI before metal to metal contact. Many months later, we were talking again, and word had got out about his Prolong tests. Smokey then said that ALL the NASCAR teams were using it, whether they claimed so or not. I have been running it in vehicles ever since. SO I was thinking, since this Porch engine seems to have oiling problems when hard cornering, we ought to be using Prolong. My last vehicle was a Chevy 1996 extended cab pickup. I ran Prolong and REDLINE Synthetic oil, and grease since day one. I gave the truck away at 218,000 miles. The rear end, inside looked brand new out of the box. The engine ran like new as well. It also still had original ball joints, and they were fine. No I am not a salesman for these products. I first used REDLINE oil in the rear end of my sprint car. The temperature went down around 80 degrees using that oil, and nothing wore out.

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1491412090

View attachment 22045
Last time I recall prolong was probably early 90's when they had a commercial with Al Unser running a vehicle in the desert with the oil drained out after a treatment with Prolong. Didn't convince me then and won't now. I didnt even know it was still around ,but then again I dont shop or look for oil additives to add to perfectly good oil. I figured that PRolong would have been sued by the FTC for making false claims like what happened to slick 50 and duralube a few years back. Slick 50 and duraLube ended up paying a big settlement to FTC well into the millions as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back