Using a tablet to provide music

For years we have used an old iPad to play music (radio streaming) through a Tivoli cabinet radio. We just use a cable from the headphone outlet into the aux in jack on the radio.

The old iPad now does not hold a charge for any time at all, so I attempted the same arrangement with my Samsung tablet.
However most of the time this does not work. I have tried a couple of different cables thinking the Jack's might be faulty, but it only works sometimes. If I plug in headphones to the tablet that always works, why can't I connect to the radio?

More than likely the simpler iPad just sent audio to the jack without thinking.

The Samsung measures the impedance of the headphones to see that is in fact a set of headphones attached and not, say, a microphone-headset or other device. The headphones trick it into working.

Same way your computer knows you just plugged something into an audio jack, then asks you what you want to do with it.

Yes, it needs to see some resistance to direct audio to the headphone jack. Plug a Y adapter into the tablet, plug any old set of headphones into one side, and the radio into the other. Or open up the radio and add resistors of 33 ohms or so in parallel with the audio input.

I have an older Samsung Galaxy Tab4 that I play music to my old Hitachi receiver using an rca/3.5mm jack adapter, never had an issue like you're experiencing. You might consider getting a bluetooth adapter (such as this one) and stream it that way.

Thank you. I will try the 'Y' adaptor trick. If that doesn't work maybe the Bluetooth adaptor. I imagine the adaptor needs to be powered somehow?

Assuming your new tablet has bluetooth, get this and get rid of the wires.

I have used a chromecast audio puck. Connects to audio equipment via RCA cables or optical. What's cool about it is that you can initiate casting to the device from a compatible streaming app, and once established you can disconnect the phone/tablet/whatever and the puck will continue the stream without any other devices involved. Essentially, using casting, the puck then receives the stream directly.

(Edit: I just checked and it appears that the product has been discontinued. I assume it's still supported, and may be available on ebay used for a good price (?))

Originally Posted by Touring5
(Edit: I just checked and it appears that the product has been discontinued. I assume it's still supported, and may be available on ebay used for a good price (?))
Yeah, sadly Google discontinued Chromecast Audio. I have one and I wish I had bought a few more. Used ones go for around $25-$35, but are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks to the advice I recived here I got things working. However......

I used a 'Y' adapter and an old set of ear buds which seemed to trick the tablet to play. All was well.....But! Sometimes the sound on the Tivoli would be very reduced and sound very scratchy. On these occasions playing with the 'Y' and cable connections would often clear things. So I bought a new 'Y' connector and better cables, but the problem persists. Strangely, by mistake, the input into the Tivoli was accidentally connected 'loosely' to the Tivoli headphones socket, and the sound came loud and clear ?? In these troubled times we very much enjoy taking a break and listening to streamed music. Any help with this matter is appreciated.

Back