Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 vs Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by sajohnson
Not trying to start a war -- just looking for opinions as to which oil would be best to use in a 2008 Sprinter 3500 with a Winnebago box on it (running full GVW, mountain roads, engine braking, high rpm).

In the past I always used Valvoline SynPower 5W-40, but after going thru the Mercedes 'BeVo' lists for their 228.51/229.31/229.51 approved oils I find exactly zero (o) in 5W-40 or 10W-40 weight available in the USA.

So, going on the assumption I'm stuck with 5W-30, and wanting to stay away from the ultra high-end 'boutique' oils, I'm considering both the Mobil 1 and the Rotella T6.

Both happen to be on sale right now at NAPA for about the same price, around $5.75 per quart:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SHR550046251
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MOR124044?ref=MA==

Again, not looking to start a pillow fight, just wondering if there are any significant difference between the two.

Pento High Performance II Engine Oil (5w-40) - 5 Liter - $33.39. It's 229.51 approved.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pentosi...-5w-40-5-liter/pen-space-5w-40-space-5l/

I appreciate the suggestion. Someone over on Sprinter-Source mentioned it. Here's what I found:

~~~

Thanks for the tip, that does look like good full synthetic 5W-40 oil, and it has 229.51 approval. Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...e_II_5W-40.pdf

I'd never heard of ECS Tuning so I checked them out a bit. The BBB gives them an "A+". Unfortunately, their customer reviews are bad. Search for "Search for "Why I Hate ECS Tuning".

It's difficult to screw up an order for oil, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but they have managed to [censored] a lot of people off.

ECS ended up being $251 total, incl. ~$50 shipping(!) and ~$12 tax. I noticed the home page states "Free shipping on orders $49 and up". However, when I went part way through the order process there was a notice saying, "Cart contents now exceed the weight or size limitation for free shipping eligibility". A cynical person might suspect that happens a lot...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pentosin...w-40-space-5l/

Here's another source for about the same price (~$33). Different label, same oil -- P/N 8042206 (5L jug):

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pen...5-liter-5w40-5

They charge shipping -- $9 ground / $11 for 3-day -- for 6 each 5 qt jugs. So they end up being $221 to $223 incl. $12 tax. Or about $37 per 5L jug, delivered.

That Rotella T6 is looking better all the time...

~~~

I'm still weighing Rotella T6 vs the others. Rotella is less expensive and readily available, but it doesn't have 228.51/229.31/229.51 approval. It is <1% ash though (MB specs 0.8%) so it should be fine.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I never had issues with ECSTuning.
Pentosin is also available on Amazon.

I checked Amazon and found a pretty good deal -- a 20 liter jug for $155 delivered ($7.75 per liter):

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-8042208-Pento-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00JMAPYGE/ref=sr_1_4

I have no experience with ECS. Like I said above, their BBB rating is "A+", yet they do have a lot of 'disgruntled' customers. Even so, I was considering giving them a chance -- until they tried the old "free shipping" switchero on me. I've had that happen before. Whether it is intentional or not, it has the feel of a scam. They claim "Free shipping over $49" but then say, "Cart contents now exceed the weight or size limitation for free shipping eligibility". Granted, 6 each 5 L jugs (30 L total) is a bit heavy (
Like I said, perhaps it is just a fluke with the ECS website. If so, then no harm done -- but I have run into this before where it was clearly intentional. For example, a Toyota dealer in Arizona that was/is(?) selling OEM parts wholesale. They promised "free shipping over $100", then let the customer go through the entire process of selecting parts and confirming they are correct, entering personal info (name. address, credit card #, etc) -- then, at the last minute before the order is completed they tell you, "Oh gee, sorry, no free shipping for you. That'll be an additional $80..." I wrote them up and their local BBB had my letter posted on their website for years. The dealer made the mistake of responding and I slammed them even harder. I'm sure they lost a lot of business due to that. Credit to the BBB for publishing my letters/comments. Prior to that I was under the impression that the BBB was really on the side of the businesses they rate.

Sorry for the tangent.

The Pentosin 5W-40 is definitely on the short list.

I never had issues with ECSTuning.
Pentosin is also available on Amazon.

I checked Amazon and found a pretty good deal -- a 20 liter jug for $155 delivered ($7.75 per liter):

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-8042208-Pento-Performance-Synthetic/dp/B00JMAPYGE/ref=sr_1_4

I have no experience with ECS. Like I said above, their BBB rating is "A+", yet they do have a lot of 'disgruntled' customers. Even so, I was considering giving them a chance -- until they tried the old "free shipping" switchero on me. I've had that happen before. Whether it is intentional or not, it has the feel of a scam. They claim "Free shipping over $49" but then say, "Cart contents now exceed the weight or size limitation for free shipping eligibility". Granted, 6 each 5 L jugs (30 L total) is a bit heavy (
Like I said, perhaps it is just a fluke with the ECS website. If so, then no harm done -- but I have run into this before where it was clearly intentional. For example, a Toyota dealer in Arizona that was/is(?) selling OEM parts wholesale. They promised "free shipping over $100", then let the customer go through the entire process of selecting parts and confirming they are correct, entering personal info (name. address, credit card #, etc) -- then, at the last minute before the order is completed they tell you, "Oh gee, sorry, no free shipping for you. That'll be an additional $80..." I wrote them up and their local BBB had my letter posted on their website for years. The dealer made the mistake of responding and I slammed them even harder. I'm sure they lost a lot of business due to that. Credit to the BBB for publishing my letters/comments. Prior to that I was under the impression that the BBB was really on the side of the businesses they rate.

Sorry for the tangent.

The Pentosin 5W-40 is definitely on the short list.

Yeah, I am not saying it did not happen. I am saying I did not have an issue. I actually ordered Pentosin 5W40 from them some 4-5 years ago.
Pentosin is really good oil.

Yeah, I am not saying it did not happen. I am saying I did not have an issue. I actually ordered Pentosin 5W40 from them some 4-5 years ago.
Pentosin is really good oil.

Absolutely.

I need to do a bit more research into whether Shell Rotella T6 is OK for an early model "NCV3" Sprinter -- the 2007-2009 models that have a DPF but do not use DEF. I've read many posts by intelligent, knowledgeable people who think it's fine, even though it does not quite meet MB 228.51/229.31/229.51 specs. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish, but at the same time Rotella T6 is significantly less expensive and meets other diesel engine mfr specs, for vehicles with a DPF. Rotella is also easy to find, it's sold everywhere. For example, Tractor Supply (TS) has it for $56 for a 2-1/2 gallon container.

In any case, it's good to have options.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meets those specs except for .51. I recently switched to it in my 08 om642. I've seen some great UOA's with that oil in the 642 diesels. $24 a gal at Walmart.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meets those specs except for .51. I recently switched to it in my 08 om642. I've seen some great UOA's with that oil in the 642 diesels. $24 a gal at Walmart.

Another new one (to me), thanks!

I see some conflicting specs regarding ash. This site says 0.95%, which is good:
https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-1-turbo-diesel-truck-5w-40-6x1qt

This Mobil PDF says 1.35% though:
https://www.mbca.org/sites/default/files/7006283_Mobil1_turbo_diesel_truck_5w-40_small.pdf

It meets MB 228.5 but not 228.51, as you said.

Rotella T6 meets 228.31. Sulfated ash is 1.0%:
http://shop.sclubricants.com/pub/media/pds/shell/Shell-Rotella-T6-5W-40-datasheet.pdf

Those are old specs from before the merger with Exxon. The last I saw it is 1% SA and has the MB specs except for 229.51 which requires .8 or less. What do the oil stickers on your air box state?

Those are old specs from before the merger with Exxon. The last I saw it is 1% SA and has the MB specs except for 229.51 which requires .8 or less. What do the oil stickers on your air box state?

Thanks loneryder. That's good to know. Sounds like it is comparable to Rotella T6 5W-40.

If by 'air box' you mean the engine air filter housing, mine has no stickers. I've been going by what the owner's manual says.

Last edited:

What Exxon has to do with these specifications?

Thanks loneryder. That's good to know. Sounds like it is comparable to Rotella T6 5W-40.

If by 'air box' you mean the engine air filter housing, mine has no stickers. I've been going by what the owner's manual says.

You are correct that it is similar to T-6. I think it has a little more zinc and phos than T-6 but it's close. T-6 will work fine for you. I was just trying to give you alternatives.

What exactly is the difference between a 505.01 and 507 oil other than the weight? If both oils are designed for DPF equipped vehicles, and both oils offer superior protection and blah blah blah. I have always been under the impression that the 505.01 have incredible shear and film strength for the PumpDeuse VWs; that this oil protects the cam lobes that work the extremely high pressures of the PumpDeuse blahblahblah (I had a B5 that required that oil).

Originally Posted by whizznbyu
What exactly is the difference between a 505.01 and 507 oil other than the weight? If both oils are designed for DPF equipped vehicles, and both oils offer superior protection and blah blah blah. I have always been under the impression that the 505.01 have incredible shear and film strength for the PumpDeuse VWs; that this oil protects the cam lobes that work the extremely high pressures of the PumpDeuse blahblahblah (I had a B5 that required that oil).

DPF compatibility is more restrictive in VW504.00/507.00. Meaning, it is more DPF friendly. Wear is also more strict as well as fuel economy, although it is min. 3.5 HTHS. Other than that, oxidative thickening and deposits are same.
I worked on testing of VW504.00/507.00 and it is much harder to achieve than VW505.01, partly bcs. wear requirements are higher but grade is limited to W30.

Last edited:

You are correct that it is similar to T-6. I think it has a little more zinc and phos than T-6 but it's close. T-6 will work fine for you. I was just trying to give you alternatives.

Understood loneryder, and appreciated!

Back