More home made junk

More metal working tools.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

8" plate roller
7" press brake
I made a little bugger about 25 years ago that is now pretty much relegated to rod bending. Decided to make a bigger one.
[Linked Image]

NICE!!!!

I think we will see a move back to domestic manufacturing and maybe your "tools" should be a part of that. Many people don't realize that tool and die makers are now a rare breed here.

I needed to re-wind a high tension stator coil for a vintage motorcycle. 22,000 turns, and I was not about to do that by hand. So I made a spinning tool that held a spool of wire, counter balanced with a weight, and fed the tiny wire out via a set of tiny pulleys that created just the right wire tension. Mounted it in the milling machine and devised a way to move the "magnetic core" (the steel laminated plates) up and down at the correct rate, as wire was wrapped. It worked perfectly, and made a factory quality part. I'll post a pic if I ever find it again.

It absolutely could be used to make quality electric motor windings.

Thanks fellas.
Cujet a few years ago I was very serious about building one of these with a recipe that the original Australian inventors have posted on the net. The coil or coils are wrapped using a plywood form and a low rpm motor. The sourcing of all the material went well till I got to the point of locating the core steel. Since the nearest source was 500 miles from here I gave up the plan and we found an original Australia built unit in great shape locally. The original Australian units were fully rated to 16 gauge and they well bend 16 gauge at full length. Not sure exactly when but an American company bought the rights to this brake and they went down hill from there. If you buy one now days you will be lucky to Bend full length 18 gauge. The inventors are ashamed of how their clever tool has been [censored] over the years. According to the inventors it's all about saving a little copper and the incorrect core steel.
[Linked Image]

Was

When the more you look the more you see, it is a sign of a maker who knows well the use of the machine and has a real talent for design for craftsmanship.

Very impressive, but I would hate to guess how much it would cost to buy one. You spent a lot of time on them, but worth it for you. It is fun making your own tools better than you can buy for more money.

Back