Battery for Crosstrek

Wife went to drive her Crosstrek and all it would do was clicking of the solenoid. Put on a Battery Minder charger and in the morning it was all set.

Battery tests 342 CCA from the labeled 390 CCA. The internal resistance is 8.85.

No lights were left on.

Now I have no clue as to the cause. No lights left on that we found.

Next is to test with carbon pile load tester.

Originally Posted by Donald
Battery tests 342 CCA from the labeled 390 CCA.

390 CCA? Is that a garden tractor battery? After 4 years it may be time for a new battery, or at least before winter, or at least toss a jump box in the car.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Donald
Battery tests 342 CCA from the labeled 390 CCA.

390 CCA? Is that a garden tractor battery? After 4 years it may be time for a new battery, or at least before winter, or at least toss a jump box in the car.

Subaru's have a very low CCA for whatever reason. I don't like it but I also don't own one.

My girlfriend has the same year model and replaced her battery this past November. For the longest it would start no problem, but the reserve capacity was terrible. One day she left the hazards on at the airport with the engine off and it wouldn't start. Replaced it the next day with a new Duracell from Sam's Club.

The Subaru PZEV have a pump in the fuel system that can run for a long time when the car is shut off.

Even Hours after the car was shut off and unoccupied.

I hear it all the time at night if I walk but the crosstrek - same on forester.

But, look for the cargo light that may have been left on.

But your batterry is nearing end of life.

Last edited:
Could be the battery is slowly wearing out and you have to decide when the worn capacity is too low (if it stays near 342CCA you can probably make it at least till winter, but at 4 years old it is probably due to be replaced because it started at low capacity so discharges deeper than a larger capacity battery would with every start... it all adds up), but for now I would charge it, leave it disconnected from the vehicle, and see if it holds a charge for several hours with minimal voltage drop. If not, definitely time to replace it, though if not a maintenance free type, pop the cover and check the water level.

Next I'd do a parasitic drain test to see if the vehicle has a power draw problem, possibly something like a door/hood/liftgate/etc latch switch is stuck, or a bad relay, faulty diode in the alternator, etc.

Last edited:
Add 200 mg of epsom salt(MgSO4) to each cell. Then add distilled water if cells are low. Then check that the alternator is putting out correct voltage. Check for ripple current on alternator, multi meter on ac millivolts.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Buy a new battery and avoid getting stranded.

Or a jump box.

Had a Buick Encore that had a failing fuse box--can came on and ran battery down (cost me $600). Bought one of those jump boxes. Best fifty bucks I ever spent. Somebody swiped it or I left it in a hotel room charging phones. I went out and got another one and gave some to family. Saved my bacon with that Encore numerous times.

Last edited:
when you change the battery get the biggest one that fits with the highest rated output + if you have stop-start turn it OFF!!

Originally Posted by irad
Add 200 mg of epsom salt(MgSO4) to each cell. Then add distilled water if cells are low. Then check that the alternator is putting out correct voltage. Check for ripple current on alternator, multi meter on ac millivolts.

Why MgSO4?

Some subaru batteries are notorious for low cca and not lasting.

both of my subaru batteries were replaced at 2 and 2.5 years.

yes they were 390CCA.

The critical carbon pile test had the battery at slightly below the bottom of the "good" section at 195 amps for the time period until the beep.

It's on the BatteryMinder getting maintained and desulfated.

I have little hope that I will not be getting a new battery in a month or two.

The Mg gets through the plate sulfation and give the plate area an electrical connection to the electrolyte. It has worked for me.

How old is this battery ??

Something tells me this battery is 4-5 years old... And being it is a light weight battery with hardly any serious amount of reserve capacity even when brand new... Getting any time past of warranty period is impressive given the size of that battery.

Originally Posted by bbhero
How old is this battery ??

Something tells me this battery is 4-5 years old... And being it is a light weight battery with hardly any serious amount of reserve capacity even when brand new... Getting any time past of warranty period is impressive given the size of that battery.

Battery is original. 2016 vehicle bought in Sept.

Yeah...

It is toast... A weed eater sized battery... 3 and a half years on a battery that small.... Likely a normal parasitic draw on it due to typically running on board computer stuff running while sitting in the driveway... Yeah.. not gonna last all that long...

Anyway you could get a larger size battery to fit with the correct polarity and height being close enough too?

Back