Castrol GTX Magnatec

Is this oil a gimmick??? Also some other questions about THINNER OILS...

GTX MAGNATEC delivers:

Intelligent molecules that cling to critical parts to provide an added layer of protection

I mean what addative package in oil does that?? And if its true that 75% of wear is on cold starts ** and Im sure there is some truth to that ** anyways... If this oil can do this... Why does Castrol Have EDGE Ranked higher as a better oil.

What do you guy think of this oil??

Reason Im asking is at work this oil went on clearence about 5 months ago and I bought 10 cases and a few jugs....I just changed the oil and ATF in my Acura last night.. It calls for 0w20... I was using for the 1st oil change MOTUL 0W30 but in the owners manual it clearly says 0W20... I have had many mechanics tell me that 0W20 is a EPA standard for better gas / fuel econemy.. however its at the cost of wear on your engine... So Im not a big fan of 0W20 and for work we had to go to a oil seminar and the key note speaker was saying how oils are going to even get thiner.. 0W8 will be on shelves soon.. I guess ROYAL PURPLE aleady has it also MOTUL has 0W8 already.,....

motul00.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David1
0W8 will be on shelves soon..

Correction; 0w8 is already on sale, on the shelves of stores aorund the world. We arent waiting for anything, its already here.

Castrol Magnatec is disingenuous and misleading - all oils sticks to metal and no molecule can be classed as intelligent. It's just marketing rubbish.

In the world of oil marketing that's full of gimmicks,Magnatec isn't one according to numerous real life UOA's published from times to times .
It's about oil polarity , among others IMHO .

Originally Posted by zeng
In the world of oil marketing that's full of gimmicks,Magnatec isn't one according to numerous real life UOA's published from times to times .
It's about oil polarity , among others IMHO .

Polarity is never a bad thing, and Redline is among the most polar oils. Consider that even when you use a non-polar oil, the inside of your engine is still coated in oil 6 weeks after you turn the engine off so we have to suspect that polarity isn't as important as people think, simply because oil clongs to metal even when its not polar.

Marketing claims are BS wrapped up in a nice package - 'intelligent molecules' is just a BS way of saying 'oil sticks to metal'

Originally Posted by Olas

Marketing claims are BS wrapped up in a nice package - 'intelligent molecules' is just a BS way of saying 'oil sticks to metal'

^This
Virtually all oils cling to metal. Pour olive oil in a skillet and watch it cling. That said, Magnatec is a solid performer and I have had no problems with it. Of course, I never had any problems with other oils, either. Just keep the oil changed with any brand oil that meets spec and you will be more intelligent than the Castrol molecules.

Last edited:
Regarding Magnatec, it's by no means a bad oil, quite the opposite.
But all that stuff about intelligent molecules that cling to engine components is marketing BS, to grab the attention of people who don't know much about oils.

Marketing aside , I thought Magnatec has some ester and clings better. Not sure about any other proprietary stuff but it also may ... iirc, Shannow had some lunch or meeting with one of their formulator and if you search the site, you may find the info or the claim.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
0W-8?

I use 0W-20 for door hinges!

lol.gif

0W8 may also meet door hinge hths requirements or maybe not!

I have heavy oak doors in my house, and steel hinges. I only use redline to lube my doorhinges because the extra zinc means I can stretch my hinge change interval to 5 years. 0w8 isn't even thick enough to lube a skillet before frying a steak
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
0W-8?

I use 0W-20 for door hinges!

lol.gif

0W8 may also meet door hinge hths requirements or maybe not!

Why do I picture "swinging doors" like an old country song-where's Merle Haggard (RIP) when you need him? I use Magnatec on the 4.6, I'm not ready to replace my sloppy chain set yet, has worked pretty well for 7500 mile OCIs so far.

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by Olas

^This
Virtually all oils cling to metal. Pour olive oil in a skillet and watch it cling. That said, Magnatec is a solid performer and I have had no problems with it. Of course, I never had any problems with other oils, either. Just keep the oil changed with any brand oil that meets spec and you will be more intelligent than the Castrol molecules.

Incorrect.

Group 4 and most Group 3 have poor polarity and work poorly as a solvent.

You PAO and Di-esters have good polarity.

Many AP have polarity. They were engineered as such and thus are targeted through the "intelligence" of the Chem - E.

I pull my DS in the VW with Motul 8100 and the oil is trying to flee the waterline.

I'm sure you noticed this with some oils.

Treat a cast iron pan with animal fats ( the original and best oils - what did you grease you chariot axle with?) and it will stay bonded deep within the valley of the asperities and above - even when rinsed with boiling water.

I think cars will run just fine on thinner oils, Honda and Toyota have been big on 20 weight for years and they're cars seem to be the most well known for rolling over 200,000 miles, in most cases the car will rust away or the auto trans will fail long before the engine does.

Any oil that claims it clings to parts uses ester. Synerlec from Royal Purple is marketed to do the same thing. Magnatec and Synerlec are might be the same additives for all we know.

Originally Posted by Loobit
Any oil that claims it clings to parts uses ester. Synerlec from Royal Purple is marketed to do the same thing. Magnatec and Synerlec are might be the same additives for all we know.

Yes but it isn't $35 a Jug.

Not Castro Magnatec... If you can find it at most AAP right now its 75 cents a quart and 3$ a JUG.... I just ordered 5 cases.... However there is no garentee they will come from other stores.. Once they see the price they ussually wont send it..
However most Team Member's at AAP dont use 0W20 so they might transfer it.... I know the 5w30 and other weights in Magnetec other AAP would refuse to transfer it.

So call your local AAP or look online to see if they have any in stock.. DO NOT BUY ONLINE... The Online probably say out of stock or will have regular price but its 5 cents a quart at some stores so that means they have to sell it for 1$ or 75 cents a quart and then they have to sell it for 75 cents... and the 5QT Jug is like 3$.. Just call around before you drive and if you find one... Do not ask the price... just tell them to hold it for you....

For what it's worth I usually use Magnatec of Pennzoil synthetic whichever is on sale when I am changing my oil. Been using Magnatec for years. It was the only oil that kept my clacking low in my TDI.

Back