Wrangler TJ Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I have a Wrangler TJ 2004 2.4L and I would like to ask some questions about engine oil!

1) Should I prefer conventional or synthetic oil?
2) The manual refers that I have to choose a 5w30 engine oil that meets the MS-6395 standards. Should I choose an oil with the MS-6395, or any major brand 5W-30 synthetic oil is ok?

Welcome to BITOG!

welcome2.gif

Yes, follow the manual recommendations.

I think every oil passes that spec. Do keep in mind that you have a very rare engine with little to no replacement parts available. Run a good oil,filters and watch the temp gauge like a hawk.

Also it is a valve bender. While the valves will not hit the pistons they can hit each other if the timing belt strips or breaks.

Material Standards-6395 is such a non stringent spec, and being that your out of "Warranty" you would be best served with any major producers 5W-30 oil. Synthetic will suit you fine.
With those 2.4 PowerTechs, make sure your diligent in replacing the Timing Belt......just saying!

Originally Posted by Chris142
I think every oil passes that spec. Do keep in mind that you have a very rare engine with little to no replacement parts available. Run a good oil,filters and watch the temp gauge like a hawk.

Also it is a valve bender. While the valves will not hit the pistons they can hit each other if the timing belt strips or breaks.

I almost bought one in great shape with a bad headgasket. But ended up walking because it's nearly impossible to find that engine as a replacement. But those 2.4s will blow the head gasket if you sneeze wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back