Strut leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my lexus rear struts (well coilover type strut) had a film of oil. Just enough for a dirt coating, the other was clean. The leak was down to the spring seat. which is about an inch above the bottom of the strut.. I read that this is a borderline case for replacement, some leakage is acceptable per Toyota. I think 1/3 of the length is ok.

I did replace both though, the old strut isn't crazy broken if you push it in or out.
It does feel a bit tighter in the rear though.
Almost thinking of doing the front too at 100K, but they aren't leaking.

100k is the general rule of thumb on struts. It wouldn't hurt to do the front's, if for no other reason than to keep the ride and handling in balance. Having 100k front struts with 0 mile rear's could do funky things to the drive quality.

Yeah toyota struts leak.

You missed winter, good struts, especially in the rear, really help with stability in the snow.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
It does feel a bit tighter in the rear though. Almost thinking of doing the front too

Goodness, these times have gotten my mind in the gutter. You made me laugh today. Any comic relief helps sooth the stress. Thank you.
lol.gif

slight dampness is a sign that the item will need replacing sooner rather than later.
put new topmounts in when the new dampers go in
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Olas
slight dampness is a sign that the item will need replacing sooner rather than later.
put new topmounts in when the new dampers go in
smile.gif

The strut top has a long piece of steel, just a metal tube with bolts, nothing really to replace. It also cost $150 a side.
I did replace the rubber "sandwich" that holds the top of shock. One piece was totally crushed.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
100k is the general rule of thumb on struts. It wouldn't hurt to do the front's, if for no other reason than to keep the ride and handling in balance. Having 100k front struts with 0 mile rear's could do funky things to the drive quality.

I may go for it for $200, I priced the struts and mounts. KYBs.
The OEM is KYB, the brand is on the shock. Both made in Japan. KYB said they are designed a tad bit different from the OEM to account for older suspensions. Both are made with the exact quality control. Some Toyota shocks may be reboxed gas a just.
They said both are great choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back