Bone creeper?

JHZR2

Staff member
I haven't had to spend a lot of time under my car, up on my kwik lift, but it's great. I can more or less sit straight up under my car with it up on the lift. So now I realize I need a creeper. I had literally trash picked a clean looking HF Pittsburgh creeper, and I know why it's in the trash - one wheel had pulled out and doesn't turn.

So I've found "the bone" creepers that have good wheels, good bearings, and are made in the USA. They're a bit north of $100. Are they worth it?

Yes they are. Had a POS harbor freight creeper and the wheels kept loosening and falling out. Not the case with the bone.

I have the Tailbone Dragger.
crazy2.gif

This thing?

[Linked Image from northerntool.com]

What the [censored] do you rest your head on? And won't those big bumps get in the way of your legs? I've used this Lisle creeper for probably 20 years now.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

the bigger wheels dont get stuck on a grain of sand like a regular creeper.

Originally Posted by Rand
the bigger wheels dont get stuck on a grain of sand like a regular creeper.

If you're working on sand, any creeper will get stuck and sink into it. Best to lay a sheet of plywood down first.

I have used various creepers over the years and the bone definitely rolled easier and was more durable than any others I have tried. However, even the low profile bone was too high for my preference. I now use a piece of cardboard to slide under cars...no clearance issues and always a good price!

Originally Posted by RyanY
I have used various creepers over the years and the bone definitely rolled easier and was more durable than any others I have tried. However, even the low profile bone was too high for my preference. I now use a piece of cardboard to slide under cars...no clearance issues and always a good price!

That's what I do now... but with the kwik lift there's lots of space.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Yes they are. Had a POS harbor freight creeper and the wheels kept loosening and falling out. Not the case with the bone.

That's why the one I pulled from the trash was in the trash. Where the wheels were attached the plastic was actually cracked.

Originally Posted by atikovi
This thing?

I've used this Lisle creeper for probably 20 years now.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Yeah that one. If my head is on the ground, it's barely different then now...

That lisle one looks like the HF one I trash picked. Do the wheels turn? Are their mounting points reinforced?

Your head sits between the "top" two wheel towers. My old bone creeper has a headrest as shown in this picture on their home page. Seems that they did away with the head pad. I LOVE mine. It is especially good on rough concrete or anywhere there is a pebble or crack that defeats other creepers. The two wheel towers that cradle your head can occasionally be in the way when you try to reach over your shoulder, but you adjust to that anomaly. You sit very low to the floor also, which helps when you have limited clearance (probably helpful for those with beer guts?) I can't praise the very large wheels enough - very smooth on rough concrete.

[Linked Image from bonecreeper.com]

Not personally tested for other activities related to it's name
lol.gif

[Linked Image from carcareportal.com]

Mine has the rubber head rest pad as well. With the large wheels, you can roll over all kinds of cracks in the garage. It is very well built. I bought mine about eight or nine years ago, and it has been great.

EDIT: I just went over to their web site, as I was curious why the new models lack the neck pad. The complete answer is all here:

http://www.bonecreeper.com/warranty.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
I haven't had to spend a lot of time under my car, up on my kwik lift, but it's great. I can more or less sit straight up under my car with it up on the lift. So now I realize I need a creeper. I had literally trash picked a clean looking HF Pittsburgh creeper, and I know why it's in the trash - one wheel had pulled out and doesn't turn.

So I've found "the bone" creepers that have good wheels, good bearings, and are made in the USA. They're a bit north of $100. Are they worth it?

Yes. If it wasn't for the fact I had built my one creeper and seat in my high school welding class 10 years ago, I would have both the Bone and the Tail Bone. They are nearly 100% made in the USA and it goes in detail who they get their material from and where they make all of the parts. For a Creeper made in the USA with all domestic materials and die work that comes from mostly local small businesses, that would be a big "Buy" from me. They are also decent on rougher terrain with the "Rough Rider" models. We have the rough rider bone creepers at my work and they are a godsend compared to the Harbor Freight units we used to have when having to wheel into a Hydromat sump tank to inspect and change out hydraulic hoses. I would say it would be worth the investment.

RyanY said:
I have used various creepers over the years and the bone definitely rolled easier and was more durable than any others I have tried. However, even the low profile bone was too high for my preference. I now use a piece of cardboard to slide under cars...no clearance issues and always a good price![/quote..i still have an old wooden creeper , just don't use it prefer cardboard.myself

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
After wrenching cars for 50 years, I find an item like this much more useful:

https://smile.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Magnetic-Rotating-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07CH21MV8/ref=sr_1_58

Using a creeper usually results in tools underneath it or not available.

I have a home made unit of lower profile I made years ago. Getting up and down ain't what it used to be.

Saves a lot of frustration and calls to my wife for a tool.
grin2.gif

Yup that's so true. All of it and especially the part about it getting harder. It is good exercise though. My go to is one of a few 6' x2' strips of old shag carpet. It pressure washes oil and grease to just like new....

Originally Posted by Driz

Yup that's so true. All of it and especially the part about it getting harder. It is good exercise though. My go to is one of a few 6' x2' strips of old shag carpet. It pressure washes oil and grease to just like new....

Does shag carpet specifically slide easier?

Originally Posted by JHZR2

That lisle one looks like the HF one I trash picked. Do the wheels turn? Are their mounting points reinforced?

I have a Lisle "Jeepers Creepers", They also make them for Matco & Cornwell. Harbor Freight (Or their manufacturer/supplier) probably just copied the design & obviously failed.

All 6 wheel swivel & the entire creeper holds up well to professional use. My previous creeper was a Cornwell version that lasted 20+ years before the caster wheels wore down so bad the body of the creeper would drag.

I have used Lisle creepers since 1972. (Yes, I'm that old). A friend lent me his Bone creeper to try out and I hated it. Between the giant wheel knobs, the overall size and weight it did nothing for me.

I should add that I was a diesel mechanic: hardly a day went by when I wasn't sliding under a truck. Most of the Lisle creepers died from hot slag or being run over. Once the pillow fell apart, it was time for a new one. Some of the cheaper brands didn't properly shield the casters which let the wheel take a bite out your upper arm. Not fun.

Back