2020 Subaru Forester Base

Looking at pulling the trigger tomorrow on a new 2020 Subaru Forester Base model. Was thinking the Crosstek Premium at first, but I believe I'd be better off with the 2.5 liter engine over the 2.0 instead. And the fuel economy for both models is advertised as 26/33 mpg. I'm not giving up a lot (at least not to me) going with the base over the Premium. Mainly a few more bells and whistles I can live without. I like the reputation of reliability and resale value. I also like the way the rear seats lay flat when folded down for the extra cargo space. Think this would work well for a full grown traveling German Shepherd. They need room also......

Like to hear anyone's experiences with this model. Thx!

I have a month old 2020 Subaru Crosstrek with 800 miles not a Forester ..The negative on me owning a Subaru is their stop start feature.Weird feeling of your
stop on stop light engine shake and dead,release brakes it restarted again in one day use counted 10 x more,worst is your signal to turn on stop light the engine dies and restart again on coming traffic coming in fast.I have to leave with it since getting rid of it mucho money lost.Another instace slight incline the engine dead releasing brakes it start to go but to roll back few inches.Yes I should test drive it longer but salesman said it did not have that feature since its a base model? Good Luck.Overall ride good,gas mileage okay mid 20's regular gas,

Good move, Best deal. I haven't driven the new one yet. Wife wants to go back to the Forester or a Outback as the crosstrek is gutless on the high way - though surprisingly overly sprightly around town. Tough little Car though..

Can you get in one under 23K where you are?

Wish they still made the stick!

Last edited:
I'm guessing this thread will turn out like most of the others here that ask opinions of a vehicle. 3 pages of people that have never owned one will suggest you buy something they recommend instead, or warn about the time their brother in law's second cousins best friend who had one kept blowing head gaskets.

My 1995 Subaru Legacy from new. Friend's 2001 Forester. Friend's 2015 Impreza. Friend's 1997 sedan given to his kid, Friend's '09 Forester
Everybody kept 'em for a while due to need.
I kept mine 'til 138K sold to immediate neighbor, ran like a watch. The For Sale sign never actually got into the window.
The '01 Forester was a leaky mess with low miles I did brakes and radiator on that one
The '15 Impreza is gassing its owner. Something's leaking at ~80K
The '97 lived a long life, I know it was maintained.
The '09 disappointed w/leaky engine. I did brakes on that one, a hand-me-down car

I've been keeping my eyes open since '95 and see AND HEAR good ones and bad ones.

No half-baked maintenance.

edit: Not far off atikovi

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'm guessing this thread will turn out like most of the others here that ask opinions of a vehicle. 3 pages of people that have never owned one will suggest you buy something they recommend instead, or warn about the time their brother in law's second cousins best friend who had one kept blowing head gaskets.

Isn't that what brings you here?

I know that's what brings me back
cheers3.gif

I'm more partial to the Volvo threads myself.
Always a good chuckle to be had
thumbsup2.gif

Keep the seat comfort in mind. Base models often have crummy seats while higher trim models might have better cloth seats.

Never noticed that on a subaru.

I though they all had " just :fair" seats Just like Toyota and Honda.

Too short a cushion and too narrow not made for 250LB me.

But the wife fits in there OK. Then she messes it up by jacking the seat as high as it can go.

I tried to help her with her poor ergonomic choices. But No. Just Stubborn.

Nissan has the good seats

But who gets top trim Limited + leather on a Forester?

I guess someone who is pretending its a BMW X5 M edition
smile.gif

Oops they bought the wrong car!

BTW My local dealer ( Haverhill, MA ) will sell you one for what appears to be around 22K out the door.

I See Eyesight is STD on the base trim along with adaptive cruise control.

More Nannies for the Ninnies. These ninnies things make me wreck. Like my VW Hillholder. Morons and Idiots.

Rant over for a second. Cabin fever pitch!

Last edited:
Baahh! a Crosstrek is literally a jacked up, jazzed up Impreza. Nothing more. But Solid, none the less.

The Forester has fantastic utility for its weight. And it's a MUCH better VALUE.

I undertand if you don't wanna look like that 67 year old Lady going to the Knitting Store to pick up some yarn

Or, alternatively ( literally) the Hairy Armpit Girls taking their Kayaks out for a spin on the pond.
For you we present the Jack-You-Are F Pace or the Alfa Stelvio.

The F Pace is your gait as you walk away from the Jag service desk for the 9 th time this month.

You're making a very good call IMO. I owned both. A 2014 Crosstrek 5spd and then a 2016 Forester base model CVT. The Forester is the most Subaru for the dollar.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Nissan has the good best seats

FTFY
thumbsup2.gif

Had a 2019 Altima SV for a 10 days in February.
Never in my life have I ever actually found myself grinning over how comfortable I was after driving for several hours - seriously, babies in their mothers wombs don't experience that level of comfort!.
I thought Volvo had the best seats, but I was mistaken.
Drove from the coast to Calgary, AB. Could have continued without thinking anything of it.
Despite being AWD, it also returned phenominal fuel economy...but maybe it was the 40psi in each tire that helped that out.

If their cars weren't built so cheaply with those questionable CVT's (personally, I didn't mind it) I'd seriously consider one!

Last edited:
I love my 18 Forester as does my German Shepherd! She won't ride in the back but gets the 2nd row to herself.

The complaints I have - driver's seat fabric is wearing out at 28K miles and the AC seems to break constantly. Seat remains vey comfy.

Other than that, it's a great car! It tows my camper and other ... uh , heavy ... things fine, moderately capable off road (not that I'd do that
wink.gif
...) .

The biggest plus of Subarus is that you can see out of them!

For value, the Forester is a better deal than its smaller brother IMHO.
We looked at the little guy when we bought the newer Forester but the purchase cost savings were miniscule and the thing itself seemed too small and too low for my wife's tastes and she was the intended driver.
A base Forester is a steal and they are quite rare. If you can do with black plastic door pulls and mirror shells as well as smaller steel rims, no sunroof and no roof rack, the base model is a heck of a deal.
We like both our '09 and our '17 and would buy another Forester based upon our experience with them.
My recommendation is that you go with it.

I would wait a few months as I think the bottom is going to fall out of the new car market. Prices may dip enough to buy a real car.....j/k

They have 0% financing for 63 months. No reason not to take it. Are they giving you a price well under invoice?

Of the previous models we chose the Outback over the Forester, for the better hwy manners mostly, and its got a higher tow rating with a trans fluid cooler. I'd recommend you try an Outback just to see which version you like.

Today test drove the Crosstek & Forester, both Base vehicles. Hands down to me the Forester! To many reasons why but I prefer the Forester. First time I've ever been to this dealership, but a very pleasant and clean place. Due to covid-19 I was the only person with a sales staff person I could tell my 2 hours their. I requested the price of both the Base & Premium Forester models. Think I'm going to go Premium for the winter package, moon roof, more speakers, and a few other tid bits I liked. They did come down more than I anticipated for both models which surprised me. Subaru is currently offering ZERO % financing through April 30, 2020 on select models which the Forester is one of them. Makes the math very easy since I'm not trading in a vehicle, but laying down 1/2 down to keep my payments low (retiring soon). So I'm going to sit a week or two and see if they contact me and offer to come down any more. If not still getting a fair deal......

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
So I'm going to sit a week or two and see if they contact me and offer to come down any more.

Might be sold in a week or two, as so many here often post about.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by wagsrk08
So I'm going to sit a week or two and see if they contact me and offer to come down any more.

Might be sold in a week or two, as so many here often post about.

Not worried since they have over 70 Foresters in stock and more on the way.

Back