WIX XP oil filter leaking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
....on the 2019 Outback in my signature?

I had a local Oil Express shop change the oil at 9k miles and I used a WIX XP filter. The top mounted filter area was clean and dry when the new filter was installed. There were no issues with the filter leaking right after the change and for the next 4,500 miles.

When I checked the fluid levels and battery earlier this week, I noted oil around the base of the filter. I tried to tighten the filter by hand but found it to be as tight as it was going to get, at least by hand.

Is there a problem with this filter and should I change it?

0430E23A-1B6E-4311-9901-DA390097B561.jpeg

There may have been some debris on the mounting surface that was not cleaned which resulted in the seal being less than perfect. The oil filter circuit is pressurized so any serious leak would be very obvious. What you're seeing is "heavy seepage."

I would try removing the filter, cleaning the surface and reinstalling. If the gasket appears severely flattened or damaged after removal, you should replace the filter.

Last edited:
After trying wix and a few other aftermarket oil filters on my Subarus and cutting them all open, I went back with OEM. The media can in all the aftermarkets was much smaller than the OEM's. Not that it means anything, but a larger amount of media makes me happier. LOL

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a Wix/NAPA Gold filter and found after removal that the square cut seal had a fairly prominent ridge across it at one spot, more than just a bit of extra left over from the molding process. I guess I could have trimmed it off with a sharp blade before I installed it, but didn't notice it and somehow felt that oil filters should just work right out of the box. I went gorilla on that filter a couple of times and it just kept seeping.
I can't prove that caused the problem, but I just don't buy that kind of filter anymore. Never had that issue with Tokyo Roki, Subaru OEM (blue cans), or K&N, although a K&N did seep a bit of oil from one of the holes in the nut on top.

You got 4500 miles out of it, change the oil and filter, no big deal. Should have gone a lot longer,that's why I stick with the OEM filter, never had a problem with them.

Last edited:
I had a Wix weep on my former Mazda 6, a car like the Subaru that requires a high bypass pressure rated oil filter. Perhaps they are having issues with this line of filters. I ended up using Mobile1 m-108 filters from then on, never had an issue after the switch.

I also have a 2019 Subaru Legacy now and have used the Subaru filter - it seems to be made by fram and has a great reputation. Since it's cheap enough, easy to get from the dealer and doesn't seem to fail I am just going to use it with this car.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Use a Denso first time fit oil filter. Turn it down until torque stop hits purchase. No leaks and easy to remove everytime.

I went to denso.com and entered the relevant vehicle information. Surprisingly, they responded with "we don't have that particular oil filter for your vehicle."

No worries. I have three NAPA platinum filters on the shelf for that ride.

I am about 1,500 miles short of the warranty OCI of 6k miles. I want to try my Pela 6000 fluid extractor this weekend to see if it will work on that 2.5L. Either way, I'll change the oil and filter.

On the last oil change, I recall watching the tech tighten the WIX by hand; no filter wrench. Either the gasket itself has an issue or some contaminant got between the gasket and the filter base.

I'll re-post after the OCI.

Thanks for the replies, BITOGERs.

Originally Posted by dkryan
Is there a problem with this filter and should I change it?

Oil filter wrenches are sold at auto-part stores. I've been using a wrench to snug oil filters and remove them, since 1969.

Well, that's the question: hand-tighten only or "snug" with a wrench?

Snug by hand. I tighten mine as far as I can go with one hand. Never had a leak.

If this were my situation I would remove and replace with a new filter.

That would depend on whether you can get it to 3/4 by hand, if not use a wrench. I never would of admitted to doing it back in the day when I was changing my own oil but most of the time my hands were to oily to get a good enough grip so I used a wrench for that last little bit, never had a filter leak on me.

I would contact Wix (Mann & Hummel) and see if they will do anything about this issue. It's an obvious defect, and M&H's response on Purolator's many issues has been disappointing, at best-but it's worth a try. Might at least get a replacement filter from them.

I had a leak once, back in the day.
I worked at the Mobil Station after school, pumping Ethel and cleaning up the station.
Put the wrong filter on.
Actually the other gas jock did.

Flat out loved that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back