AC vacuum pump, use oil other than specific vacuum pump oil?

I have Robinaire 3 cfm 2 stage AC vacuum pump, been using it for mine and family vehicles for almost a year now. It came with a small bottle of oil when I bought it. Figure it's time to replace the oil, but I don't want to pay the high prices for vacuum pump specific oil. Don't have the manual handy to tell you what the requirements actually are (maybe ISO 68/100?), but I'm hoping compressor oil or some other more common oil type can be used as a substitute. Anyone have experience with these?

I have an older Sargent-Welch DuoSeal two-stage pump I use, and the one time I replaced the oil I went for the Welch specific oil. I ordered it online and it wasn't that expensive.

However if I really didn't want to get the manufacturer specified oil I did notice that my local Napa sells vacuum pump oil. That would probably be fine.

If you're not contaminating the oil it will last a long time.

What properties of vacuum pump oil make it different from any other types of oil?

You will not damage the pump, and you will not be able to get a very high vacuum recuse the oil will be boiling. Then it will get thick, and you will be flushing it out using vacuum pump oil. That will cost. Don't do it.

Rod

We use 525SUS mineral oil in our vacuum pumps at the shop and have been forever. Its commonly sold as R-12 A/C oil, we get it from AC Delco, part number is 15-117

Back