mitsubishi outlander

dose anyone own an outlander? thinking of getting my wife one.
she does not like driving my santafe she says to many gagets
bell and whistles in it.iwould trade her sonata in.would like
her to have a allwheel drive for winter here.

Just be careful with the Outlander. Too many publications say that there is no compelling reason to buy one compared to its competition. IDK, I've always liked Mitsubishi vehicles but, things have certainly changed.

But to trade in a '15 Sonata(a great car BTW) for the Outlander would be like trading down. Mitsubishi dealers, in many regions, are putting a lot of money on the hood so, make sure you get a good price should you choose to buy.

Mitsubishi vehicles also have a very low resale value causing many owners to become upside down on their loans should they need to get rid of their cars, e.g., in pandemic situations like we're experiencing now.

I would look to see i there are reviews on a Mitsubishi specific web site.

Mitsu has no dealers in Metro St. Louis, 2.9 million and not a one. That should tell you something. These haven't changed much in a long long time. If you have to have one, a used one might be best. Don't think they're unreliable, just very very crude.

I did test drive an Outlander Sport in '16 before buying a used Encore, replaced by my Soul. Comparing the Outlander Sport to either an Encore or a Soul is like night and day, it was really crude. The one drawback to my Gen II Soul+ is sort of a lack of electronic niceties. Backup camera and bluetooth was a must item, but I do miss a lot of the stuff on the Encore. Hertz and Avis are full of '18 Souls selling for twelve thou or so. Maybe even cheaper now that the economy's shut down. I think the Soul is a very pleasant vehicle and huge inside for its exterior dimensions.

My grandparents have a '14, I believe. They previously had an ~'08ish and the newer one is a great improvement although I still wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
The ride is acceptable. Features are okay. I've driven it a bit and wasn't horribly impressed. MPG isn't great; my grandpa drives around 65-70 and gets in the neighborhood of 27mpg, if I remember correctly. It is louder than it should be on the highway. Doors are thin and light, they feel cheap (fitting the rest of the car). The volume knob is on the far right side of the radio. Lots of questionable things about the car, IMHO. I think there are few reasons that I'd actually choose to buy one. Not awful, but worse than the competition.
For what it's worth, they were both quite reliable for them. But a lot of other cars can be, too.

From what I've been told the quality is much better but... From my own experience dropping off an IMiev (terrible electric car) to a Mitsubishi dealership in Colorado on a mid afternoon 4 years ago. Not one person on the lot. The cars looked like the inventory hadn't sold and there was one car in for repair. Not a good sign.

By bells and whistles I assume you mean the driving alert nannies?

Does your settings menu allow you to change the alerts or volume or just turn them off?

Friends had a 2011 and got the itch for a newer car before it had 70K on it.
They sold it to a mutual friend. 4 cyl. CVT w paddle shifters.
The only problem with the car was that the remote fob's receiving card (under the glove box) ceased to function in the dead of Winter.
Running a 15 watt light bulb out to the car and setting it in the passenger's footwell was all that was needed.
Mitsubishi had nothing up their sleeves for a fix. That says something about Mitsubishi.

They got a 2015 dealer demo. Same options. No cold weather fob problems.

I drove both these cars and performed slightly harsh, abrupt gear ratio changes on steep hills in attempts to get the CVT to chatter.
No noise or anything bad from the CVT. And I'm not in love with CVT's.
Also, while lighter in weight than many vehicles, I drive a Volvo V70 and the Outlander didn't strike me as a tin car but I'm not that critical and was possibly "up" over driving an unfamiliar car.

After racking up unbelievable miles on the 2015 with no problems, they decided to trade that one in for a 2017 dealer demo.
This one had to have the V6 in order for them to get the paddle shifters.

This one will not keep an alignment. The dealer apparently treats them right AND they have alignment checks done where they get their tires.
I don't think my friends have gone mad. Straight wheels and balanced tires have always been my friends thing.
He's wondering if the weight of the V6 has something to do with it.

The Mitsu has FWD-AWD and LOCKING AWD on a 3 position knob which they LOVE.

Their "car son" mocks the product. He went into debt buying a 2015 Subaru Impreza. Every time we speak he owes $15 grand.
Now, with ~80K he's being oil-gassed through the vents.
Too bad; he stuck his toe in the Subaru pond and got bit.

My friend's Mitsubishi dealer is "100 miles away" north of Albany, NY (Clifton Park).

They say the gas mileage is great with the CVT. That dealer availability is not to be overlooked.

I loved my Mitsubishis!! A blast to drive,impeccably reliable,ahead of their time,and indestructible. What I liked about my Mitsubishis was that everything on it was Mitsubishi,no outsourced branded parts. I remember the ac compressors were HUGE and Mitsubishi branded.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I loved my Mitsubishis!! A blast to drive,impeccably reliable,ahead of their time,and indestructible. What I liked about my Mitsubishis was that everything on it was Mitsubishi,no outsourced branded parts. I remember the ac compressors were HUGE and Mitsubishi branded.

Me too. After many VW, the Evolution8 and 2010 Ralliart turbo were two of my favorite vehicles. I hope they come back strong. The only issues i read about concerning Outlanders is the lack of dealer support because so few exist (dealerships). But the vehicles are durable.

The local Mitsu dealer which closed recently was part of a large, local dealership chain. An ex-employee, now transferred to a Subie store told me that Nissan buy-in was the final straw.

As others mentioned, the dealer network is a big issue with Mitsubishi if you're buying new, under warranty, or just want easy access to a dealer. The dealer group I work for used to have it, then sold the franchise when they started having disagreements with Mitsubishi corporate. The dealer that took over the franchise went under after maybe a year, and now there is no Mitsubishi dealer at all in AL's largest metro area. There are three Mitsubishi dealers left in the state, which is probably more than most states, but they are hours away. A lot of Outlanders do wind up here via auctions because they are cheap CUVs, we have 3 on the lot now, but you can't get OE parts same day here unless you drive to Montgomery or Huntsville. If you have a warranty concern, it's a minimum 1.5 hour drive one way just to get it looked at. For comparison, there are I think five Mazda dealers (still tiny but more than 3) and about 15 Kia dealers in AL.

I think part of their problem in the US is they want dealers to have standalone facilities for them, but they don't have much of a lineup here, so they have a hard time finding dealers who want to make the investment. Dealer groups with multiple brands want to stick them on the corner of another brand's lot, sell them out of the same showroom, and service them in the same service department. Mitsubishi doesn't want that, but nobody wants to dedicate a whole dealership to just selling Outlanders, Mirages and used cars. They can get slightly used Mitsubishis all day from an auction and not have to deal with Mitsubishi corporate's demands. They would probably get a lot more interest from dealers if they had a larger lineup.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
I had a 1997 diamante great car in it's day.

Those were sweet!

The best looking sedan in it's class.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by nickaluch
I had a 1997 diamante great car in it's day.

Those were sweet!

The best looking sedan in it's class.

Absolutely!

All of this was covered in the recent Mirage thread, but given Mitsubishi's global presence, I don't think parts availability would ever be an issue, but dealer network is if you're buying new and have a warranty concern.

If I were to buy one brand new, it would have to be a screaming deal and be something I really like. There's like 5 dealers within a 100 miles of the Buffalo NY area, but only one that's close by.

Ex-Honda and then used car shop opened back up in St. Louis. Very 1996 Kia dealer sleaze. Mirages going for close to $22K. Lots of we'll get you credit, blah, blah, blah notices. I appreciate the references to the Diamante. Sad what's happened in the last two decades.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Outlander PHEV GT. I think it was the most optioned out, priciest vehicle that Mitsubishi sells. I like it well enough, but I wouldn't go out seeking to buy a new Outlander. The only reason I purchased it at the time was for PHEV option and the back seat is much larger than the 2014 Volt I had. I needed the room for car seats.

The interior is pretty nice on mine (better than my mom's 2018 equinox and on par with our Pilot EXL), and I don't have any rattles or anything like that. It actually feels well put together. The Apple Carplay and infotainment works well. It has the 360 degree/birdseye camera view and other nice features like auto wipers. I haven't had any mechanical issues and oil changes are easy. My only complaint really is that the handling is not good compared to other SUV's because it is such a dated platform. Also, on the highway the newer compact SUV's get much better mpg. Mine serves it purposes though as a short distance commuter vehicle well so I might actually keep it for a long time and buy something sporty for weekend fun.

Back