repairing old stereo equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hifiengine will likely have the service manual if he wants to do it himself. On eBay there are rebuilders, as well. There might be local shops that can do it but these services are becoming sparse.
Audiokarma forums can be a good source as well as mentioned earlier.

Originally Posted by Donald
Looking for a friend who wants to have a 20 yr old Pioneer receiver repaired. Are there companies that specialize in repairing vintage stereo equipment?

A Sx 1980 is worth 3-5 grand in mint full working condition.

I ran a Series 20 M22 for years in the early 80's. It was NOS.warehouse find. Got it a Cuomo's in Salem. I think I paid $500- for it.

This SOTA cast chassis beast was just 30WPC rms but sounded like a good 75 watter.
I think it sounded better than my Musical Concepts modified Hafler DH200.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
This is a fascinating thread. I have an old NAD receiver that needs some care. Unfortunately, I don't know how to repair it.
I am looking for someone who can get rid of the hum.

I will spend time on AudioKarma to find a direction to proceed..

I use to have a super stereo with speakers that needed 2 people to carry. Then got married and kids. Now I have speakers for my PC that include a subwoofer and they sound pretty good.

At 66 my hearing is not so good. Taking my temp I cannot hear when the thermometer "beeps".

I use to have a super stereo with speakers that needed 2 people to carry. Then got married and kids. Now I have speakers for my PC that include a subwoofer and they sound pretty good.

At 66 my hearing is not so good. Taking my temp I cannot hear when the thermometer "beeps".

Sure can relate to that. I'm 58 and that describes my hearing too.

First set up was my high school days, a 2215b, Marantz 6100 or something turntable and slightly bigger than bookshelf 3-way Marantz speakers. A few years later, I sold audio in the late 70's into 1983 or so.... always enjoyed being around it and having a nice set up. I felt lucky to have the audiophile interest and enjoy it from 'the store' without going whole hog on my own dollar. I'd never got the bug to get too fancy, big or spendy. At employee margins, I could spend $1500 and net a $3000 system.
I had friends that worked at the big box stores but I made friends at the higher end audio stores and found opportunities to work in those. I moved to Onkyo and Infinity a few years later with a 'midi-size' component set up that was a good mate for efficient book shelf speakers. Margins and clientele were different and even the big box type customers came around to see and hear the goods. In a matter of time, we'd win many of them over. Educating customers on the finer points of mid / high end stuff brought them around and I found just about everyone enjoys quality when it's something tangible and not just hype and buzzwords.
We had Luxman, McIntosh, Yamaha, IMF, Tandberg, Dahlquist, Hafler, Klipsch and some boutique speakers, sub-sats were big in those days as well. High end car audio was big biz and the CD players were just getting shipped to the US. Most of the systems we sold were delivered an set up or "installed" with some of the clients wanting prewired homes as they were built.

I've settled into a simple 5.1 set up as Marantz / Polk / Klipsch that fits the room well. I play with the outboard audyssey at times but still do some tuning by ear.
I really enjoy the impact of movie sounds and effects and even when I know the scene that's coming, it still takes my breath away at times.
Something about those years of selling and impressive equipment demo's even 40 some years ago makes me stop and find a scene to this day so I can say; "Hey wait a sec, come on over here and check this out ".

Last edited:
Few years back I used to play with vintage stereo gear. Many generally I would replace some caps, alignment etc and bring back some life to them.
A few I had to dive in deeper. Some I just about gave up and about to take it to a repair shop. I did find a few within my area so guess they are out there, but was always to get them repaired myself as long as I had the parts or was able to find the parts. I suppose repair shops are slowly fading - don't see as many like back in the day of TV, VCR, Stereo repair signs.

Had the Harman / Kardon AVR 25 II repaired about a year ago . Right channel would cut out . Replaced the volume knob . All seems fine a year later . Bought it from Ciruit City in '96 or '97 .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Looking for a friend who wants to have a 20 yr old Pioneer receiver repaired. Are there companies that specialize in repairing vintage stereo equipment?

A Sx 1980 is worth 3-5 grand in mint full working condition.

I ran a Series 20 M22 for years in the early 80's. It was NOS.warehouse find. Got it a Cuomo's in Salem. I think I paid $500- for it.

This SOTA cast chassis beast was just 30WPC rms but sounded like a good 75 watter.
I think it sounded better than my Musical Concepts modified Hafler DH200.

[Linked Image]

It is worth what someone would pay for it. Years ago it might fetch that money, I doubt anyone would pay 3-5k for that amp anymore.. The only ones interested in component systems are the old timers. Younger generations don't give a hoot for component stereo systems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by frankbee3
This is a fascinating thread. I have an old NAD receiver that needs some care. Unfortunately, I don't know how to repair it.
I am looking for someone who can get rid of the hum.

I will spend time on AudioKarma to find a direction to proceed..

Probably just needs new filtering capacitors in the power supply. Very common with old electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back