Parts for a $1000 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine wants to get a gaming computer and spend about $1000. He wants a pre-built one..not a byo. No mouse, keyboard, or monitor needed, just the tower with W10 installed. I have built my own, but am out of the current loop of what to buy.

Another friend bought a Cyberpower PC and seems to like it.

Thoughts on parts, specs, companies?

Thanks.

My brother has a cyber power he got from Best Buy. Ryzen 7 2700, 16Gb RAM, and a Nvidia RTX 2070. IIRC his was ~$1,300. A quick look shows one with a RX 580 GPU and a newer Ryzen 7 3700X CPU for $999, which honestly isn't that bad of a price for those specs, roughly the same components (mobo/storage differences) on pc part picker minus OS is only $40 less. The only thing I don't like about it is they put a tiny little 80mm low profile cpu heat sink on it that's designed for AIO's/small form factor PC's.

I'd definitely go AMD for the CPU though.

Last edited:
That's what my son did … he's built many PC's in the past … but said he could not get the class level parts into one package for what he paid at Best Buy …

Build it. It will outperform anything name brand unit and he will get more computing horsepower per dollar spent than from a Dell or HP.

if the gaming computer has good parts it wont be cheaper.

typically case, powersupply, motherboard are cheapened.

Friend got an i7 loaded up pc for $500, it has 2 sata ports....
he wanted to switch to SSD for boot drive and use his 2tb hdd for storage.. nope need another sata port.. and it has 1 upgrade slot.
I ended up getting him an enclosure for it. usb3

now if you are looking for a web browsing computer.. yep premade can easily be cheaper.

I built a gaming/video editing machine last year before Christmas. My advice, after reading/researching various forums, if you go with Dell (and nothing wrong with that) check their outlet store religiously. They have cancelled orders often at a pretty big discount. If you can find one with the specs/items wanted it's a win. I'm not sure if they offer too many, if any at all, using AMD processors that I wanted. I also like "playing" with hardware so leaned toward building so I had total control over components.

Linus Tech did a 4 part video on a $1500 pre-built a few popular places

Here is part 1,

As said, you get a much better system for less building it yourself, but not everyone wants to go that route (hence the reason pre-builts exist).

Yup, he does NOT want to build his own. Ironically, he it in IT! He got off easy on the last computer as a friend and I cobbled together parts from our old systems so he could have a much better gaming experience. That build was already obsolete, but was way better than what he had. I sent him a couple links on two different systems around $1000, but haven't heard back from him.

Thanks, all, for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back