The End Of The MiniVan Era

We have 4 kids and owned a minivan for about 15 years. I always liked it, great for trips and kids in and out. Lots of storage. We have moved
on to a smaller mid size SUV. I don't see nearly as many around anymore, mostly small SUV's and the big Suburban which around here has
been a kind of replacement for the minivan. Funny I see a Dodge Caravan that we had in 2004 and now looks like something out of the 50's...

The family will always need a vehicle for the kids and strollers and diaper bag. It was the station wagon when I grew up. Then it was the minivan. Now it appears to be "supersized" SUVs.

Of course I am in the northeast and SUVs may not be so popular where there is no snow.

I wanted to buy another minivan, just days prior to the Hyundai Santa Fe purchase. Our children have grown and moved-on. My wife threatened to not feed me anymore, if I bought it.

A lot of midsize "SUVs" seemed to have morphed into minivans, with or without AWD, like Chrysler Pacificas, GMs endless line of smaller SUVs (Equinox, Terrain, others). As long as it's not CALLED a minivan...

If I had some kids to haul around I'd rather have a minivan with electric side doors than a wagon (er, I mean "SUV").

The minivan is dying off due to people caring about perception. If people were rational and bought the things that would work best for them at the best price, more families would drive minivans.

Originally Posted by JustN89
The minivan is dying off due to people caring about perception. If people were rational and bought the things that would work best for them at the best price, more families would drive minivans.

They're 100% function over form. Purely utilitarian. You buy it because you need it, not because you want it. Personal vehicles have always been purchased for subjective reasons btw...Minivan, not so much

I think the so called "SUV" name came to be so a cool or hip name could be used versus a square term like minivan. It's all about psychology to get into the minds of the masses to make sales. A true "sport utility" vehicle would have hard core off road capabilities designed to go where anything else with wheels couldn't go.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

They're 100% function over form. Purely utilitarian. You buy it because you need it, not because you want it. Personal vehicles have always been purchased for subjective reasons btw...Minivan, not so much

Sure, I understand that. That said, usually those subjective reasons are at least within the same class. No one goes out looking for a Corolla and goes home with an F-150 due to subjective reasons, or vice versa. I know that's an extreme example, but my point is that usually those subjective reasons don't remove an entire classification of automobiles except for in the case of minivans. For whatever reason, people will pay a premium to avoid the minivan.

My problem with minivans is FWD and transaxle. That configuration is simply not as robust or reliable as a heavy-duty, truck-based, body-on-frame, RWD Van or SUV.

Why do people buy ugly crossover minivans then?
The naming convention?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
A lot of midsize "SUVs" seemed to have morphed into minivans, with or without AWD, like Chrysler Pacificas, GMs endless line of smaller SUVs (Equinox, Terrain, others). As long as it's not CALLED a minivan...

Every X-over is just a minivan with a different stance, and usually a more useless rear storage area with an undersized door

BE44F49F-DE89-43F6-8BC3-49B853943D06.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Why do people buy ugly crossover minivans then?
The naming convention?

I think we answer that question below.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Every X-over is just a minivan with a different stance, and usually a more useless rear storage area with an undersized door

The swiss army knife of vehicles.
Probably the best all around vehicle still.
I had a 2014 Caravan my 3rd one.
Chrysler really cheapened them up.
(Previous van was a 2005)
The 3.6l was a screamer though.
We ended up trading it for a Santa Fe Sport.

Last edited:
Minivans are a dime a dozen where I live. Especially Honda's.

We owned a minivan for a few years until moving into the SUV segment. In some ways I liked the minivan but I'll tell yeah, it was downright deadly in the snow. The weight distribution on the minivan just didn't help the FWD. like the SUV's much better overall.

When minivans came out I said, "What took 'em so long".

You can accurately conclude I like 'em just fine.

I ALWAYS thought station wagons were stupid. A sedan with its trunk lid raised and 3 pieces of glass underneath it. Big deal.

It took the "rolling living room" mindset a long time to fade.

Off the top of my head, seeing the minivan used as a taxi in Las Vegas wins!

The Toyota Previa from the early '90's is one example of where the minivan can go design wise.

The Elements, Souls and Cubes are other iterations.

My daughter-in-law said she'd never own a mini van...until she started having babies. My son bought her a new Sienna about 10 years ago and she's still driving it. She says it's the greatest transportation tool a family could have and she'll have one until her three kids leave the nest.

Back