Hard time selling my vehicle.....

Originally Posted by atikovi
Everybody thinks it's so easy to sell a car for profit. Just wash it and park it at the Walmart or on Craigslist. Nope, not that easy.

In Michigan, you better have private business permission, to sell your vehicle on their lot. Most-all don't allow it and the Police Dept. ticket/fine is enormous.

If a homeless guy gets picky, I just move on and they get nothing.

The truth is there is endless resources for these people even places you wouldn't think there was adequate help. So truthfully they don't need handouts from individuals.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Sure, what do the homeless need the whole muffin for? They should be happy with just the stumps.

The truth is there is endless resources for these people even places you wouldn't think there was adequate help. So truthfully they don't need handouts from individuals.

While true, it was late at night and while the guy wasn't going to starve to death, he claimed he was hungry and those places probably don't open til the morning. I just mention it as it was a little funny, first it was a hamburger, then it was a cheese burger with no onions. I guess I should be happy that he didn't push his luck and ask for a 1/4 pounder.

C'mon.
They usually don't get temperamental when having bad days. It's usually because they're having a bad month.
No need for multiple sentence discussions with them. If their tongue speaks hunger, walk away - buy them some food and water. Then return - hand it to them and proceed in a different direction.

Both you and the homeless guy then should be having a feel good moment. He physically feels better and so does the innards of your heart.

Appears to be a pretty nice SUV, to me. V6, automatic, 4x4. Perfect for some guy helping his teenage daughter get her first car.

Don't worry - it will sell. You just need to get it in front of the right person. You might have to drop your price a little bit.

If you're patient, you probably won't have to cut the price much.

Most-all teenage daughters would not want that vehicle as their-own. Not anywhere near feminine-enough. Despite improved styling in the past 10 years, the young girls still don't want grampa's Buick either.

Anyone who's spent 60 seconds selling cars will know that how you buy cars is more important than how you sell cars. To me, this just screams of being put in a tough spot due to how much the car was purchased for. That Liberty will sell- that's a solid V6 with a good reputation, people know the Jeep brand to be excellent in less than ideal weather, and being practically rust-free in the northeast is a rarity for a 10 year old car. At this right price, this Liberty wouldn't last a day on Craigslist. However, it's not going to be a quick sell (or even a sale at all) at the price you're asking and by your own admission, you don't have a lot of wiggle room due to the cost of acquisition (purchase, refurbishing, and opportunity cost of having your money tied up in this Liberty). Flipping cars isn't a bad idea, and can be a profitable one with practice, but if you're needing to off-load this car quickly to free up your cash, clear out driveway space, whatever, then you may have to take a loss on this and look at it as lessons learned for your next "quick flip".

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Most-all teenage daughters would not want that vehicle as their-own. Not anywhere near feminine-enough. Despite improved styling in the past 10 years, the young girls still don't want grampa's Buick either.

A lot of teenage daughters aren't in a position to dictate what vehicle Mom & Dad help them buy.

Girls like Jeeps. At least, around here, they do.

It seems to me like a decent price for a solid vehicle. But your local market knows the value better than I do.

You may be able to improve the ad, but it is still plenty good enough to bring interested buyers to you. The market is telling you the price is too high.

If you are getting people to show up and they aren't making offers, it may indicate you are hiding things in your ad.

Originally Posted by HM12460
I never really thought too much of KBB's valuation's. Sorry, but it looks like a $2500 vehicle to me.

I have to agree. The biggest issue to me is the overall condition of the vehicle in terms of cosmetics. Between the burn holes in the seats, the worn exterior of the passenger dash and A pillar and even the steering wheel, It really comes across something that was not well cared for, but then cleaned up for sale. If the owner did not care enough about the vehicle to smoke outside of it, or ask passengers to keep there feet off the dash, how much did they care about maintaining it? If it was well maintained from the beginning, would it really need the entire interior shampooed and all of that maintenance done in such a short period of time just prior to sale? It is good that you removed the part about the heater core replacement, as that just confirms the lack of maintenance this vehicle likely received.

Add to that the dent in the hood and what sounds like a pretty decent blemish on the rear bumper which is not shown, I would be pretty quick to walk or low ball at $2000 - $2500 if it didn't still smell like smoke or some cleaner trying to hide the scent.

I personally would probably remove anything in the ad about maintenance done, as that makes it seem like catch up work. Try to make it look more like an owner/seller trying to move an average vehicle that is solid and runs well and list for $3kish expecting to get less. Also, be honest about everything including the blem in bumper, as that can make it seem as though you are hiding things, which is an immediate turn off to most buyers.

Also, FWIW, except in this case, I would not even consider giving your add the time of day due to the use of completely irrelevant tags. "Honda toyota land cruiser range rover frontier rav 4 rav4 ridgeline manual hemi" are all words you used (among others) to tag. Not one of them applies, and when i am looking for a vehicle, nothing upsets me more than spending the time to look over an item then to find it was tagged wrong on purpose. This just tells me something about the sellers integrity/personality that says "Stay Away!"

All that said, I wish you good luck with the sale!

The tag says your car has a manual transmission. It's hard to find a buyer for those these days. Young people don't know how to drive them.

Originally Posted by NO2
The tag says your car has a manual transmission. It's hard to find a buyer for those these days. Young people don't know how to drive them.

Member replies to lower the price by $1k may now be served by $2K. Nobody wants manual trans SUVs anymore.
OP may drown in the bath size he takes on this sale.

Originally Posted by supton
Looking over the ad, it screams "dealer" to me. Even though it's actually pretty decent, shows everything, seems like a good walk-around. I'll rate it as a decent ad. All the important info is listed, photos are good.

I might skip out on mentioning 4AT, that hasn't been a selling point for how many decades now?
lol.gif
Or if you want, just mention that it automatically changes gears so you don't have to shift gears manually.

The Seller is a dealer- just an unlicensed dealer.

Back