LED Bulbs in Factory Reflector Housings Designed for Halogen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by circuitsmith
Originally Posted by dogememe
Check out Headlight Revolution on YouTube.

Which is the link in my last post.

Really nothing useful on that site.

SL1 leds in my focus st

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dave_Mark

So, where's YOUR useful information, Mr Helper?

My advice is to educate yourself to the point where you don't need anyone else to point out ridiculously incorrect claims.

Do you have a specific question?

Last edited:

He is actually helpful if you allow him to be... something I had to learn, and am grateful for.

My advice is to educate yourself to the point where you don't need anyone else to point out ridiculously incorrect claims.

Yeah, what, specifically in that video, you claim is " ridiculously incorrect"?

Last edited:

Yeah, what, specifically in that video, you claim is " ridiculously incorrect"?

Sure, in the link you posted, at 8:26, there's the claim that some LED bulb in a low beam reflector tests out to 1432 lux at 25 feet. Or 10% more than a BMW i8 laser headlamp.

Basically all of the readings they take are bunk thanks to their lux meter. They basically special ordered a lux meter straight out of China, likely because it gave them the most favorable (highest) readings.

They used to use a much better lux meter from a much more reputable company, but now they're using the Uni-T UT382, which (you can check for yourself), isn't readily available on Amazon, and all but one or two eBay listings say it has to be shipped from China or Hong Kong. Flashlight forums have tested this Uni-T UT382 lux meter and found it to be the most inaccurate lux meter they've ever tested, giving readings that are inflated by 40%.

Summary: they went out of their way to import a lux meter from China to obtain authentic-looking data that's actually bunk. Whatever conclusions they draw from their faulty readings is not worth taking seriously. Just like if I had a broken stopwatch and timed a Corolla's 0-60 at 3.2 seconds, and then timed a Corvette at 2.1 seconds....and I conclude that the Corvette is faster than a Corolla--I would be correct, technically, but I wouldn't suggest reading too much into my results
wink.gif

Last edited:
So I should maybe stick with halogen bulbs but upgrade to Phillips Xtremevision? No free lunchs, I know they win on better output but that comes with much shorter life than OEM long life's. Trade-off I have to be willing to accept. Main issue with that is the difficulty of changing bulbs on the gen 13 F-150, have to go in through the front of the wheel well, not fun. And not a roadside operation or even a parking lot one on a trip if you lose a bulb (assuming that you carry spares).

Basically all of the readings they take are bunk thanks to their lux meter.

OK, fair enough.
TBH, I paid very little attention to their brightness figures since I know it's a complex subject.

However, you said:

This I disagree with.
What they say about positioning the LEDs close to filament position is useful IMHO,
as well as avoiding lights that look cool with their LEDs arranged in a circle.
That was the main point, and the title of the video.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
So I should maybe stick with halogen bulbs but upgrade to Phillips Xtremevision? No free lunchs, I know they win on better output but that comes with much shorter life than OEM long life's. Trade-off I have to be willing to accept. Main issue with that is the difficulty of changing bulbs on the gen 13 F-150, have to go in through the front of the wheel well, not fun. And not a roadside operation or even a parking lot one on a trip if you lose a bulb (assuming that you carry spares).

Hard call there, and I sympathize with your situation.

There are extremists and radicals who would say something along the lines of "replacing bulbs is cheaper than replacing body parts" but that's a little too far in my opinion. Those people might as well put on a helmet and a flame-retardant suit while driving to get groceries, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

The 2013 F150 is a cinch to change bulbs. Just pop the hood and remove the entire headlight housing and change bulbs. 3 small bolts. Is this the year you meant?

I'd suggest using the Sylvania restoration kit to polish the outer housing it worked wonders for the factory headlights on my G37. For halogens I'd go with the Phillips Extreme visions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back