Transfer pics / videos iPhone to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of pictures on my iphone that I would like to move to my PC and then to a backup hard drive. What would be the best way to do that?

Last edited:
if you're a google user.. such as have a gmail account. download on your pc and iphone google drive.

it's painless no cables to fuss with just select the photos you want to move on the iphone over to the google drive, once you open google drive on your pc you'll have the choice to save them to your pc.

Easiest and fastest way for a newb is plug the cable in to the phone and PC and when it pops up look for the folder "photos" and select all that you want to copy and simply drag and drop.

be advised that the newest apple update the filetype photos are stored on the phone are no longer native to windows. So simply attaching the phone and copying/viewing pictures is no longer an option. Fortunately there is a fix if you google it that will convert the files as you copy them to windows environment.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
be advised that the newest apple update the filetype photos are stored on the phone are no longer native to windows. So simply attaching the phone and copying/viewing pictures is no longer an option. Fortunately there is a fix if you google it that will convert the files as you copy them to windows environment.

Can you give more info on this? I tried copying pictures via USB cable and it kept crashing every so often and maybe this is what I need to do?

Do you have a Google (Gmail) account ? If so, install Google Photos on your iPhone. It will back up photos with unlimited storage space if you allow them to compress them. If you want them left as-is, in their original quality, it has a limit for the free option.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454

Apple, by default, stores images in HEIC format. Windows 10 has supported this for 1-1/2 years too.

Is iCloud and iPhone automatically connected? I deleted some pictures from my phone since they are on iCloud but they deleted from there too, Is there a setting to change this?

Last edited:
IMO, iCloud is a convoluted mess. You absolutely should be able to upload pics to iCloud and then remove them from your phone. Then again, without paying extra, you get an anemic 5gb of space on iCloud shared for everything while any modern iPhone will have 32gb, 64gb, or more of storage space on the phone itself (yes, I know other stuff uses this space as well but I'll bet for 99% of people, photos take up the most space).

I have iCloud Photo backup disabled (I use Google Photos) so I'm not sure of the settings but tap Settings, your name (to access Apple ID, etc), then iCloud, then Photos and look over the choices there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back