Shaving costs during this time

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Glad people are mentioning about cutting the cord with cable. Huge expense that I am super glad I got rid of years ago. Antenna for local channels and Fire Sticks/Roku for streaming. Keep your head up and be safe.
wink.gif

Well said Dale
smile.gif

I'll never go back to cable. I'm still employed and have cash in safe spot in my house. I live way, way below my means as well as does the girlfriend. I do drink, but not a lot anymore. I even cut and post odd or not often seen oil filters for you guys
grin2.gif

We cut the cord long ago. But our expenses are around half of what they were pre CV, no eating out, no entertainment, no gym, no sports, no clothes shopping, no discretionary purchases, no gas, no car maintenance, no vacations. All we have left is rent on our son's empty college apartment , higher grocery bills, slightly higher utilities, cell, internet, and some streaming plus the ridiculous property taxes in our town.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Glad people are mentioning about cutting the cord with cable. Huge expense that I am super glad I got rid of years ago. Antenna for local channels and Fire Sticks/Roku for streaming. Keep your head up and be safe.
wink.gif

Cable is a luxury, similar to some of the more expensive higher end rides we all enjoy.

Going out less means changing outside clothes less frequently, and that's less laundry load. In Michigan I don't know if you really can reduce your thermostat too much, but where I'm at my utility actually drop because I wear everything except T shirt and underwear for a week now (instead of 2-3 days).

If you absolutely need the money, there are lots of delivery jobs out there right now. I saw flyers taped to closed shops offering $20-30 an hour, that's not the best but that will help those who need the money, assuming you are a low risk person (young, fit, not likely to die just in case you catch it).

Cutting any entertainment expense is good right now, but IMO those all go back into the grocery bill. Food of any reasonable shelf life are no longer on any discount in my area, the only thing goes on heavy discount here are Easter candies, home decorations, and clothes.

I thought everyone on BITOG is ultra frugal? You shouldn't have to change anything; you should already be doing the things to save money like cheap cell plans, buying food in bulk, cooking at home, not buying $1000 phones, etc.

If you're forced to change your lifestyle to save money, that means you couldn't afford your previous lifestyle.

Originally Posted by xfactor9
I thought everyone on BITOG is ultra frugal? You shouldn't have to change anything; you should already be doing the things to save money like cheap cell plans, buying food in bulk, cooking at home, not buying $1000 phones, etc.

If you're forced to change your lifestyle to save money, that means you couldn't afford your previous lifestyle.

I don't know that you necessarily have to be frugal, to have a plan in place should things go south.

Growing up I watched M.A.S.H every time it was on. I recall the episode where a patient was an insurance salesman. His sales pitch stuck with me: "People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan".

You first have to look back at the past six to twelve months and see where your money has been going.
You can then find those things on which you can reduce or eliminate spending.
Frugality is a habit and a lifestyle and it doesn't exclude the occasional splurge.
For example, while wifey and I might be quite frugal, we also think nothing of dropping a grand on season theatre tickets or some multiple of that on a cruise or two each winter.
You can make a game of it by planning meals around what's on special each week as well as using gasbuddy to find the cheapest gas on your normal routes of travel.
You're probably in a tight spot and I do feel for you but this should be a learning experience for you in that you'll probably find lots of unproductive excess spend.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

We've all heard of the "Freshman 15"?...1st year college students putting on 15 lbs.
Now there is the "Corona 15". People staying home and eating, drinking beer etc.
Watch your health & money.

I wonder if people are going to gain weight from being home all day, or losing weight from not eating out.

confused2.gif

When I signed up for Xfinity internet (5 years ago, when I bought my house), I had the option of buying my own modem or renting one for $10 per month. I bought my own for about $65. Paid for itself in 6 months and it's still working fine today. I bought my own router too, don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was under $100. It's also still working fine 5 years later. I eventually dropped cable, but still have Xfinity for internet only. It costs me $78 per month for their slowest speed, which isn't actually "slow" at all. We often have 3 people using the internet at once, with at least 2 people streaming video at the same time, and it has no problem keeping up.

Live within your means. Don't live based on overtime or unreliable income. There are things you NEED vs things you WANT.
If you do that when the crap hits the fan you can hopefully survive.
Too many people spend way ahead of what they can REALLY afford!!
Not saying that if all income is lost this works but you have to plan for rainy days!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If you partake, buy cheaper beer and wine. Buy local wines if you can. Support your local wine and beer industries.
laugh.gif

Wine does nothing for me. Everyone's taste is different. Big NO THANK YOU to "cheaper beer"

Hefeweizen and Irish stouts and real beers like Genny Cream ale

Back