What would a missing egr valve gasket cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been missing mine for awhile. Just had my car smoke tested and sure enough a leak is there. Can't fix until the weekend.

Curious if this could cause stumbling acceleration once in a while or anything else?

I'm referring to the metal gasket between egr valve and engine.

It would cause a lean condition. So misfires can occur. The O2 sensors will correct a portion but MPG will suffer.

Did you omit the gasket when the EGR was installed?

If you didn't do the deed perhaps the person before you used a "thick enough" smear of RTV (or some such) to seal it and not so much that it squeezed out of the joint.

If nothing is being badly effected, the correct thing to do might just be nothing.

If your car is old enough to need some service where the EGR has to be removed or if they (EGR valves) have a replacement schedule, then I'd get a gasket or a replacement valve with a gasket and have it at the ready.

A dopey friend bought a trannie filter and "overlooked" (dyed in the wool cheapskate) purchasing a gasket for the pan.

Maybe that's what happened in your case.

And, as usual, never provide the year, make, model, engine or mileage in a post. It never helps with anything.

Accidentally omitted it a couple months ago. Already bought a new one so I will put on this weekend. Thx all for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back