AC current in the DC

How is the alternator itself going to track anything? it is dumb.

The voltage regulator, wherever it might be located on any given vehicle, might have some temp sensors, and sense when too much field current is being sent with not enough voltage rise to detect something is wrong, but only some vehicles with ammeters on teh battery cable will know how much amperage the alternator is actually making.

How about some actual data on how much amperage a battery with a shorted cell actually requires, compared to one without a shorted cell to be held at the same voltage, instead of assuming the systems are so smart they can protect themselves. Anybody have a battery with a shorted cell? i'll collect the danged data myself, and put this debate to rest.

Does anybody besides myself even watch an Ammeter and a voltmeter while discharging or charging a battery?

Its amazingly enlightening and throws a significant bunch of self important 'common knowledge' internet BS regarding lead acid batteries and their charging systems right out the freaking window.

Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
How is the alternator itself going to track anything? it is dumb.

The IC regulator functions this way as i stated above:

Originally Posted by Mola
Most modern alternator Integrated Circuit (IC) regulators are positioned at the back of the alternator case and share the same average internal temperature as the rest of the alternator.

That IC senses three things: 1) rotor current, 2) output voltage, 3) internal alternator temperature.

This IC's temperature sensing component monitors temperature such that if the temperature gets too high, the rotor current is throttled back.

A battery with a failed [low resistance] cell presents an extra load on the alternator and could make the alternator run hotter than normal. In fact, any extra load above and beyond the designed current output capability can tax the alternator

Any solid state component within the alternator has a finite lifetime which is highly dependent on the number of over temperature heat cycles.

If the battery has a failed cell with a low resistance, then that represents an extra load, as would any increased load. More rotor current is increased up to its design limit at which time the current is then limited. A partially shorted failed battery cell represents a low resistance so by Ohms Law, a reduction in resistance within the battery represents an increase in current flow into and through the battery. V = IXR and I = V/R, so the Voltage across battery = IcurrentXRbattery; If R is lowered then Icurrent through battery is increased as Rbattery is reduced, I = V/R.

At startup, with a good battery (no open or shorted cells) the alternator's rotor current is elevated up to its design limit to bring the system's voltage up to between 13.8 and 14.7 volts, or thereabouts. Current flow into the battery at this time will be increased until the battery voltage is over 12.6 volts. As the battery voltage increases, the current into the battery will taper off and the IC regulator will reduce rotor current until the system voltage is at its design (nominal) value.

To determine increased current flow due to a failed cell one would have to know the resistance of that failed cell. Not all failed cells represent a zero (0) ohms resistance.

However, we can attempt to model this time dependent situation.

At cranking the voltage of the 12.6 volt battery is around 10.5 volts and for calculations we will use a cranking current of 125 Amps for a 4 cylinder engine at 70F. So Rbattery-Starter circuit resistance at this time is = 10.5 Volts/125 Amps = 0.084 ohms with the majority of this low resistance to be found in the starter and intervening cables. Let's assume the battery's resistance is 25% of the resistance of this circuit so the battery's resistance is R = 0.063 ohms.

Upon startup the alternator would theoretically have to supply a current to the battery of I = 14.5/V0.063 ohms = 230 Amps, but we know it cannot do that so the rotor current is limited to avoid overheating - and therefore the time to charge the battery to 14.7 volts is increased until at which time the system voltage is 14.7 volts, and then the battery is simply given enough current to maintain system voltage.

Now a battery usually has six cells in series so each cell has a voltage potential across it of approximately 2.1 Volts nominal at rest. So from the calculations above each cell would have a nominal resistance of 0.0105 ohms. 6 cells X 0.0105 = 0.063 ohms. Check.

A battery with a one shorted cell would have a resistance (in our model) of 0.0525 ohms and by doing the above calculations yourself, you can see that an increase in charging current would result.

So three conclusions can be drawn from this model:

1. a battery, due to the physics of its electrochemical makeup, represents a variable resistance which is highly dependent on its internal charge and condition of its individual cells,
2. a failed low resistance cell in a battery does not necessarily mean the cell's resistance = 0. It could be higher than R = 0.
3. No charging device will attempt to pump maximum current into the low initial resistance of a battery; a low initial current is pumped through the battery until the battery reaches the system's nominal voltage value.

Last edited:
Mola, I respect your intelligence, especially in your field of expertise.

Reading your post above, the average reader might assume the voltage regulator is always inside the alternator on every vehicle, and that it therefore is incapable of overheating because it has a magical devices within it that prevent it from getting too hot, by lowering the voltage.

I have an Externally regulated alternator, My voltage regulator is external to the alternator, and the only temp sensing ability it has is that which I added to its extra heatsinking below the fan I have added to it, as I often have well depleted battery(s) and ask the alternator to make everything it can, in order to charge the battery as fast as possible, within its limits of acceptance, at whatever voltage I allow to reach the battery terminals, by spinning a potentiometer on my dashboard, which is located next to my voltmeter whose v sense leads go right to my battery terminal. the voltmeter is also right next to my digital ammeter.

So I can spin a dial, watch voltage change along with amperage into or out of the battery at differeent engine rpm, and glance a little farther right and see the alternator stator's temperature, as well as the external voltage regulator's temperature, and the battery's temperature and one other K type thermocouple's reading at the same time. I don't have a hardwired ammeter on the field wire to the alternator but have had my DC clampmeter over that wire too in the past and observed it at different engine rpms with different alternator amperage outputs.

Our 'debate' seems to currently be on whether a failing battery can take out alternator with the extra load of a shorted cell. I have no actual Data on how much juice a shorted cell will consume, but guestimate it to be in the 20 amp range, maximum. You have posted formulas on what the shorted cell might be able to draw, but no actual data, as if it proves your point, somehow.

So is potentially 20 extra amps that the alternator has to make to feed the shorted cell of a failed battery, going to push an alternator over the edge into failure caused by excessive heat?
The Hvac blower motor on my vehicle can draw almost 15 amps when the battery is at 14.7.

My headlamps with high beams i on is just over 15 amps. Are these two devices together going to overheat my alternator?

Of course not.

Of course it will run some degree hotter( remember I do have actual data on this degree) and heat does degrade it with time, and vehicle speed has much much more to do with how hot my alternator's stator gets rather than 25 amps of loading difference. I have insulated the Stator's thermocouple from engine bay airflow too, so dont try and go there.

Is my data relevant to each and every vehicle on the road, of course not, only a fool would declare so, but there are some takeaways here.

The more air movement under the hood with increased vehicle speed, means the alternator fans are likely sucking in cooler air than at idle speed when parked with the hood closed, and better able to keep the alternator cooler.

The voltage regulator, if seeking high voltages with a large load on the system, whether it be a depleted battery or Lights and blower motor or multiple seat heaters and window defrosters, is obviously going to cause the alternator to generate more heat from increased field current sent to the rotor by the voltage regulator, wherever it is located. The load a battery will consume is very different at 13.7 vs 14.7v, but loads like headlights and teh blower motor do not change nearly as much with extra voltage, Again I have measured both at different voltages with my own vehicle and higher voltage does allow blower motor and headlights to spin faster, get brighter and consume more amperage, but it is not 1/2 or 2/3 more like the battery.

At low rpm, the alternator's fan is incapable of moving enough air through an alternator to keep it cool, and a slow spinning alternator will be fed considerably higher field current to maintain system voltage at low rpm, and the field current rapidly declines with more engine and alternator rpm.

So perhaps Idling parked with a battery with a shorted cell with lights and fan motor on High can overheat an alternator, but you claim that the voltage regulator inside the alternator will prevent this from happening, even though many vehicles have their voltage regulators outside the alternator casing and no independent alternator temperature sensing ability.

I still want actual data on how much extra amperage a battery with a shorted cell will consume, not some formula.

I have collected almost all other charging system data possible, with my own vehicle, but for the shorted cell data. I've not had a battery with a shorted cell since 2008. I'd love to collect the actual data, but my last flooded battery got turned in for a core charge before it became a 10.5v battery.
One of the cells was using a tremendous amout of water and would bubble without charging or discharging but it remained a 12v battery and it required no more than 4.5 amps to be held at absorption voltage when it was fully charged, and 2.2 amps at 13.4v. Again, this is actual data.

If I have actual data on a 80% + charged 12v battery reading 10.5v, meaning a shorted cell,
I can then apply that much extra load to my own alternator, at various engine rpms and speeds and collect actual Data as to how much hotter it gets when it has to supply X amount more amperage.

The Data I have collected on a weak failing battery, without a shorted cell , is very enlightening. It does require more amperage to be held at any given voltage than a healthier battery, but it is only 3 to 5 amps more. is 3 to 5 amps extra going to push an alternator over the edge? of course not.

The whole failing battery, taking out an alternator, is an Old wives tail, and it does NO ONE any good to repeat it over and over again as it has no basis in truth. Yes failing batteries and failing alternators do happen often in a similar time frame, but it is much much more likely a failing alternator took out a weak battery from keeping the weak battery at an even lower average state of charge, and at low rpms the failing alternator islikely incapable of meeting the vehicle loads so this weak failing battery then has to make up the difference, and then never gets recharged by the weak failing alternator.

Thew only question here, is how much amperage does a failing battery with a shorted cell consume compared to one without?

Does ANYBODY, have actual data on this? or just really strong opinions that they are right.

If it is 5 amps it is not going to overheat an alternator.
If it is 20 amps, it is likely not going to overheat an alternator, unless the alternator is already failing with a shorted stator or failed diodes, or if one is idling with the hiugh beams on, blower motor on highest possible speed, on a hot night with a hot engine in an engine bay with extremely poor air circulation near the alternator..

Arguing chick or the egg does nobody any good, nor does repeating old wives tales based on incomplete knowledge, zero experience, and NO actual data.

All it does is reveal the degree of intellectual insecurity and level of self importance of the individual.

I've one more post I will add on Bitog before going back to lurker status, not in this thread, as obviously I have been wasting my time trying to enlighten members with my experience and actual data regarding lead acid batteries and their proper charging in order to get maximum performance and longevity from them.

After taking all this in, it is abundantly clear most of the participants in this thread have forgotten more about automotive electrical systems than I currently know. Nevertheless, my reason and ultimate question for even stepping into this quicksand of a thread remains: if I posses a capable DMM (and I believe I do - Fluke 233/A), what kind of AC voltage should make me worried that my DC charging system is bleeding AC current to the point of being detrimental to the other components in the system?

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
After taking all this in, it is abundantly clear most of the participants in this thread have forgotten more about automotive electrical systems than I currently know. Nevertheless, my reason and ultimate question for even stepping into this quicksand of a thread remains: if I posses a capable DMM (and I believe I do - Fluke 233/A), what kind of AC voltage should make me worried that my DC charging system is bleeding AC current to the point of being detrimental to the other components in the system?

As I stated earlier only an oscilloscope can really show you the amount of AC ripple at the output of the alternator.

Back in my power company days I worked on 125 volt battery systems . We specd our battery chargers to be at 20 mv AC ripple or less . Filter capacitors were used to clean up the DC .

Yes- Toyota way back used to put a voltmeter and an ammeter in their cars (at least in Corollas). The voltmeter told you if the battery needed charging and the ammeter if it was charging. Way too much info for drivers to comprehend, so in went an idiot light (which in many cases is still too much info). Much cheaper and fewer things to go wrong, too.

Hi,
I have never seen an alternator that could current-limit the output amps. Any current limiting is due to I2R loss, Inside the alternator, or due to cabling. Works fine, especially with machine sense voltage control.

Many moons ago a diode failed short in the alternator & illuminated the ignition lamp with ignition off.
I went to motor factors to buy a new diode pack. The new diode pack was the same as the failed unit but used 6 MRFxxx 6Amp diodes. Didn't buy I rushed back to work & soldered 6 new 6 Amp diodes. The alternator ran until the Datsun B310 died.
They operated at over 5 times their listed maximum rating for current. The 6 Amp diodes worked OK in the alternator because of the fan cooling. The PIV rating must have been over 800V as they were used on inverters.
I would agree that heat is the normal suspect unless they have failed due to compromised PIV rating & then they would be short.

Cheers,
Iain.

Back