Nu Finish

I just saw a commercial where a guy uses Nu Finish on a junk yard car and it looks amazing. Is it a Scam ? Thanks guys

Are they using it on a car that has a modern clear coat or on a car old enough not to have a clear coat. On the older one, yes, it's the real deal. An old oxidized paint job will clean right up.

That commercial is from the 1980s.. "52 car washes and the water still beads!!!"

It's good stuff that works but the only MAJOR knock is it stains black rubber BAD. That stain will be there until you sell the car unless you paint or stain it back black (not easy since it repels water).

If you are trying to make a old faded car shine again I recommend Meguiars Ultimate compound. Its not "rocks in a can" like the old school compounds. If the finish is already shiny it won't scratch it further but if the finish is rough it will shine it up.

If you have clear coat failure (common in modern cars) no wax/polish type product will bring it back. needs to be sanded down and recleared.

Its a good cleaner / sealant. But as was said, once its on any vinyl trim you are screwed.

There are other similar products (Turtle ICE) that do not have the same issue on vinyl trim.

It is a great long lasting Polymer coating. I'm presently using it on my 2014 MAZDA and have used it on every vehicle I've owned since it first cam on the market. As stated, stay away from black trim or you will spend miserable amount of time getting it off.

That stuff will last a Texas summer and then some. Use it on the Accord to keep the clear coat from fading away. I don't care about the vinyl trim, the car is so old anyway!

With products out like Turtle Ice Seal N Shine, If your paint is in great shape no need to use Nu Finish type products. Now if you need to bring your paint back that is a different story.

I used Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine and it has lasted a good six months. This is even on a black vehicle that sits outside. I'm getting ready to do all my vehicles again now that we can't go anywhere and we lost our jobs.

Originally Posted by Rat407
With products out like Turtle Ice Seal N Shine, If your paint is in great shape no need to use Nu Finish type products. Now if you need to bring your paint back that is a different story.

I used Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine and it has lasted a good six months. This is even on a black vehicle that sits outside. I'm getting ready to do all my vehicles again now that we can't go anywhere and we lost our jobs.

Dang, man. So sorry to hear that. I'm furloughed for at least a month from my aircraft mechanic job. Temporarily delivering packages for Amazon. Far less than I was making, but at least it's something coming in, and it reduces how much I have to dip into savings.

Like anything else, it depends entirely on what condition the junkyard car paint was in. It might've been in great shape, then just had sediment added on top, and it might not have had much acid rain coming down on it. On the other hand there are vehicles where the paint is shot long before it hits the junkyard.

Nufinish is a "little" abrasive so not the right product for perfect paint, but yes it can do a great job on anything in good condition right down to awful condition. It won't look good if the clearcoat is lifting and cratering but will still protect the terrible paint (lol). It will last longer than those spray on novelty products but if you want deep, high shine, you'll need to apply a wax product over it.

Nu Finish car polish has neither abrasives or wax. Nu Finish should be labeled as a car paint sealant or sealer, as it is made using 100% synthetic ingredients.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Nu Finish car polish has neither abrasives or wax. Nu Finish should be labeled as a car paint sealant or sealer, as it is made using 100% synthetic ingredients.

There are many products that blur that line......

I'd say most, especially off the shelf products. Duragloss, although not an over the counter product, is a prime offender. Research is called for.

Polish, wax, etc. are far too commonly used titles even though the products contain no abrasives or wax.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
It's a wicked chemical cleaner. Not worth it though. New stuff is better and more evolved.

Not a popular opinion around here but there are so many great options that have superseded this.

I'd say most, especially off the shelf products. Duragloss, although not an over the counter product, is a prime offender. Research is called for.

Polish, wax, etc. are far too commonly used titles even though the products contain no abrasives or wax.

Except it doesn't apply. Nu Finish does contain a mild abrasive. Calcined flint clay.

It is very obvious if you apply to something where you can tell if it was polished, like bare aluminum. Better to call it a cleaner sealant if the word polish stirs up memories of something more aggressive. Either way, you want zero abrasives if there is nothing that needs polished out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
That commercial is from the 1980s.. "52 car washes and the water still beads!!!"

It's good stuff that works but the only MAJOR knock is it stains black rubber BAD. That stain will be there until you sell the car unless you paint or stain it back black (not easy since it repels water).

If you are trying to make a old faded car shine again I recommend Meguiars Ultimate compound. Its not "rocks in a can" like the old school compounds. If the finish is already shiny it won't scratch it further but if the finish is rough it will shine it up.

If you have clear coat failure (common in modern cars) no wax/polish type product will bring it back. needs to be sanded down and recleared.

'70s, Danez. I first used NuFinish on my Dad's cars back then. And NuVinyl . I used NuVinyl today, actually on the tires of my 86 Olds Calais. And a coat of NuFinish on the aluminum wheels. It always has a place in my car cleaning inventory.

Originally Posted by Eddie
It is a great long lasting Polymer coating. I'm presently using it on my 2014 MAZDA and have used it on every vehicle I've owned since it first cam on the market. As stated, stay away from black trim or you will spend miserable amount of time getting it off.

The same, used it since it first came out in the '70s.

Even the chemical laced dew with the grit in it in that settled on my car over night in LA wouldn't phase it. Others wouldn't last a month under those conditions.

Yes, TW Ice won't leave a trace on black trim, but one can't tell where it's been applied either, leaving one open to missing spots. I hated that aspect of Ice and will take my chances with NuFinish.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Except it doesn't apply. Nu Finish does contain a mild abrasive. Calcined flint clay.

It is very obvious if you apply to something where you can tell if it was polished, like bare aluminum. Better to call it a cleaner sealant if the word polish stirs up memories of something more aggressive. Either way, you want zero abrasives if there is nothing that needs polished out.

Nothing indicated in the Material Data Sheet :

https://www.whatsinproducts.com/fil...0Nu%20Finish%20Car%20Polish%20Liquid.pdf

No calcined flint clay mentioned.

Is there a link? If there is one please post it.

Wait. My bad. Found an MDSD that lists it

https://www.msdsdigital.com/nu-finish-car-polish-msds

Last edited:
Back