84 Caprice- AC gauge reading- low side is high and high side is low

Status
Not open for further replies.
New compressor, new lines, new orifice tube, new cycling switch.

Fan works and clutch comes on for a second then turns off and repeat.

Static reading- low: 82, high: 83

reading with AC turned on:
Low- 100~
High- 50~

Outside temp- 80F

Thoughts on what could it be?

I was thinking bad orifice tube/expansion valve.

Last edited:
You have a suction side restriction. Is this on R134A or R12? First thing I would check is metering device or accumulator. Did you install the correct orifice tube?

Last edited:
The low side goes up when the compressor starts?

Only two things could really cause that-- not closing the valves on the manifold, creating a path from high to low, or plumbing the compressor backwards, which happens mostly on tractors and big trucks that don't have "idiot proof" fittings.

Originally Posted by mk378

Only two things could really cause that-- not closing the valves on the manifold, creating a path from high to low, or plumbing the compressor backwards, which happens mostly on tractors and big trucks that don't have "idiot proof" fittings.

Originally Posted by mk378

Yes the low side goes up when compressor starts.

R134

Originally Posted by Chris142
Your hoses are on the wrong gauges.

That is a possibility. Does system provide cooling?

'84 Caprice Landau with 16k miles? Let's see some pictures of this beauty!

If it was converted to R134A, then the updated fittings should have been screwed on the existing ports

Originally Posted by A_User55555

If it was converted to R134A, then the updated fittings should have been screwed on the existing ports

He is saying the gauges are hoses incorrectly. Not the way he hooked up to the car. Or at least that's how I interpreted it? The high and low side fittings are unique to their sides.

Originally Posted by mattd

He is saying the gauges are hoses incorrectly. Not the way he hooked up to the car. Or at least that's how I interpreted it? The high and low side fittings are unique to their sides.

It would be impossible to put the the gauges to the wrong places as it is ‘idiot proof'. High and low side ports are different sizes

Originally Posted by gallydif
Originally Posted by mattd

It would be impossible to put the the gauges to the wrong places as it is ‘idiot proof'. High and low side ports are different sizes
Chris142 is a car A/C tech... He probably knows...

But the hoses screw to the manifolds, and can be backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back