Mitsubishi Mirage for Basic Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro St, Louis-- 2.9 million people and nary a Mitsu dealer. Getting Nissan and Renault into the mess isn"t making it better. Sad because I had some Chrysler Corp branded cars in the seventies that weren't that bad including one that said Dodge in the front and Plymouth in the back.

There is nothing wrong with the Mirage
smile.gif

I test drove a bunch of small cars last fall. The Mirage was a weird, fun little car with the 5 speed and 3 cylinder. I had no interest in the CVT model. The folding rear seat and hatch made it really usable, but the hard plastic everywhere, coupled with road noise was giving me a headache after a while on a test drive. The Sonic or Spark only had 2 seats in the backseat, so that was no go for me. I ended up with a Kia Forte. A little more room for kids in the back, and a pretty good deal on a car that fit my needs (that sound close to yours.)

Where are commuting to and from?
The electric sewer would almost certainly be easier and far less costly within its reach.
There are places where owning a car is more of a liability than an asset and NYC certainly qualifies.
Having said all of that, the Mirage is a modern day Geo Metro, three cylinder one liter engine and all.
Puts the Yaris/Versa/Spark in the shade in fuel economy and you can buy them brand new Drive a Mirage a bit and see what you think.
I suspect you'd find one to be no worse than any subcompact car of thirty years ago and what was considered state of the art then should be at least tolerable now.

Originally Posted by hemitom
My neighbour has a nissan micra ( not sure if its available in the U.S ) and he loves it for running around the city, but states its no highway cruiser.

That's probably the best micro car out there. You can't get it in the US.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Living in Brooklyn NY I would think buying a car at this moment should be the least of your worries. Your in the center of a pandemic.

Depends, this may be the reason you drive instead of taking public transit. It may also be a time to rob the dealer (as in a deal too good, not literally robbing) due to the sales decline.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Apologies for deviating. Is there any reason you must drive and not use public transport, esp the subway? I suspect the time it takes to go from point A to Point B in the city from Brooklyn wouldn't be different between riding a subway or driving. Plus, finding free parking anywhere in the city after 7.30 am is a herculean task.

I live in Westchester and I avoid driving in the city like a plague. I spend more money on Metro north and subway together but prefer to ride public transport.

That said, if it were me, I would stick to Yaris (only).

I work by Kennedy Airport where there is no subway service. Also for my job I have to go from place to place to place during the day for about half of the year. Believe me having to drive everyday isn't the greatest and I have considered moving.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Have you considered a Smart car? Tiny and safer than Mirage or Yaris are.

thats what I currently own and it is no longer being sold in the US. Parts are really hard to come by. I love it for it's ability to park anywhere. Even though its drives like crap it is great for what is is.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Have you considered a Smart car? Tiny and safer than Mirage or Yaris are.

Stay the heck away from Smart. If you think Daewoo is bad, wait till you see Smart, that thing is 10x worse.

Yaris even the Mazda build one is ok as they are basic and simple, with highish volume so parts are easy to get and easy to repair. Mirage should be fine but when you need parts you may not be able to get them, especially if the dealer near you went bankrupt and you have to tow it 200 miles away for another dealer.

I'm a bit concerned about the Jatco CVT in Versa, I know they are better now but I'd worry about it when it is 100-150k miles, 72k is still too young to say it is good. Stay away from Prius C if you are not driving a lot, the battery cost will be higher than the mileage gain and the initial purchase price premium.

I thought this too! BUT with 82,000 on my 2013 and the only repairs being an A/C evaporator and clutch, I am pretty happy.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Living in Brooklyn NY I would think buying a car at this moment should be the least of your worries. Your in the center of a pandemic.

Yes, spending now 2 weeks in my house can lead to boredom, which can lead to researching things you don't need at the moment, just for the [censored] of it, while trying not to die.

I know what you guys are saying about the Mirage. I had a concern parts would be hard to come by...I may be better of getting the Yaris or Kia in the long run. I don't even know if Mitsu will be here as a brand in a few years. Smart is gone and Fiat is pretty much done here, as well.

Yaris... Toyota has staying-power. The Yaris Hatchbacks - current ones - are Mazda2's I believe. As a side matter / comnent - Toyota has some interest in Mazda's products... good for Mazda I would say

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Yaris... Toyota has staying-power. The Yaris Hatchbacks - current ones - are Mazda2's I believe. As a side matter / comnent - Toyota has some interest in Mazda's products... good for Mazda I would say

I am highly considering the 2012-18 Yaris hatch, my only worry is that since they are no longer being produced, parts would be come scarce sooner or later. I am the type of guy who likes to keep cars 10+ years. I had the '18 Yaris for a rental last year and it drove really well and was surprisingly quiet.

The Nissan Note is no longer being sold and am worried about parts.

The Kia is very nice and am considering it highly.

Correct, the Versa NOTE is no longer being sold as a new car but, there should be plenty of decent used examples. And parts will never be an issue. The new RIO is very nice also especially if you can find a good used example of this most recent redesign. Reasonably powerful, solid, decent MPG, reliable, and if buying new, it has a great warranty!

I like the NOTE because it's larger and more accommodating on the inside than many, while still being subcompact on the outside. It parks & parallel parks easily. It rides better and is quieter than most in the segment, even on the hiwy. And it's not a total turd! You may have NISSAN's CVT tranny issues but, you may not! Not ever CVT that they made, explodes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by parimento1
The Nissan Note is no longer being sold and am worried about parts.

If this is you main concern, you will never find a car. Cars go out of production all the time. There is no guarantee they will be around in 10 years, but parts shouldn't be a problem. Heck, people owning Studebakers or even Motel Ts still keep them on the road.

I can still get parts for my 40 yr old Firebird in my signature either from the local parts store or online.
I had an 18 yr old Honda Accord that had no problems getting parts for any day of the week. Not a problem. Someone will make them.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

I am highly considering the 2012-18 Yaris hatch, my only worry is that since they are no longer being produced, parts would be come scarce sooner or later. I am the type of guy who likes to keep cars 10+ years. I had the '18 Yaris for a rental last year and it drove really well and was surprisingly quiet.
Don't worry about parts availability on older Toyotas. It is a non-issue with them. You can still obtain parts for Toyotas produced in the 80's.

Pretty sure the motor in the Yaris is something of a global engine, sold elsewhere. Plus fair amount of sales here. Parts should be around for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back