2 cars 2 oils what car would you put it in

When you want to consolidate and the cars are burning oil / fuel dilution, pick the thickest common denominator of them all. Just use 5w30 and be done with it.

Update - Odyssey now has close to 3000 miles on it. It needed 3/4 of a quart make up oil, added Redline 5w-30 on the off chance the ester might help clean the rings and helps with the seals. In about 200 miles the oil went from a light caramel color to a dark, almost black color. The honda tick disappeared and acceleration is different, not in a bad way on the contrary it seems to be smoother. When the vtec engages it is noticeable and smooth too. So my next experiment will be to see if it's RL or if thicker caused the change since using the mixing calculator shows what is in there at 100c - 9.17. The thickest I've run it before was PUP 5w-20 at 8.8 which didn't have the same effect.

Good news on the Fit, no make up oil for the past 1k. Looks like the pcv valve was the culprit. Got the valves adjusted and spark plugs changed. Now I have a louder Honda tick, you win some you lose some. Next oil change I'll probably run a similar test on it, maybe a 5w-30 PP or Valvoline 5w-30 modern engine at a 100c -9.8 to see if that changes it noticeably.

If you have any suggestions for my experiment let me know. I do realize they're just grocery getters, just trying to keep from going crazy staying at home all the time.

Pennzoil 5w30 in all three of my vehicles, one Dino and 2 synthetic with NAPA/Wix filters.
cheers3.gif

Back