Castrol Syntec - 4D56T mitsubishi Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have just acquired a Japanese Domestic Market Pajero (Mitsubishi Montaro in Right Hand Drive format) and it has the 4D56T turbo diesel 2.5L 4 cyl.

From the reading I have done so far here I am finding that the oil I have been using (Syntec 15W-30) on my two gas vehicles for the last 8 years would work fine in this Mitsubishi.

Conditions...

Southern Ontario Canada
-> Coldest Winter temp -30C (-22F)
->Warmest Summer temp +39C (+102F)
Typical trip
->16Km, 10mi
RPMs
->Try to keep it below 3K
Miles on engine
->73,000km, 45,000 mi
Oil Changes
->every 5,000Km , 3,000mi
Future
-> Plan to run biodiesel & dino diesel in a 2 tank set up within the next 6 months...

Am I making the right assumptions?
Should I use 5W-30 for the Dec to Mar. stretch of cold weather?

quote:

Originally posted by bill_bly_ca:
Hi

I have just acquired a Japanese Domestic Market Pajero (Mitsubishi Montaro in Right Hand Drive format) and it has the 4D56T turbo diesel 2.5L 4 cyl.

From the reading I have done so far here I am finding that the oil I have been using (Syntec 15W-30) on my two gas vehicles for the last 8 years would work fine in this Mitsubishi.

Conditions...

Southern Ontario Canada
-> Coldest Winter temp -30C (-22F)
->Warmest Summer temp +39C (+102F)
Typical trip
->16Km, 10mi
RPMs
->Try to keep it below 3K
Miles on engine
->73,000km, 45,000 mi
Oil Changes
->every 5,000Km , 3,000mi
Future
-> Plan to run biodiesel & dino diesel in a 2 tank set up within the next 6 months...

Am I making the right assumptions?
Should I use 5W-30 for the Dec to Mar. stretch of cold weather?

I would NOT use Castrol syntec 5w-30 in any turbo diesel. I would use a CI-4 rated 10w-30 or 15w-40 diesel dino oil or a 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil.

Hammer

I agree with Hammer, I would defiantly stay away from the 5w30. Go with any CI-4/CI-4+ oil that you like, Castrol Tection seems to hold up well for the money from what I've seen so far, but there are many choices in CI-4 oils.

I use Fuchs Super MC 10/40 in my 4D56,it's the intercooler turbo.That's their top of the range diesel oil,and I feel kinda guilty changing it at 5,000km,but the 5,000km OCI is important with these engines.We have Castrol GTD around at the moment,in 15/40.But we have a pretty mild climate...a frost is as cold as we go.

OK guys thanks..

I think I will try and find the brands mentioned.. And from some of the posts in the forum it looks like I should be searching truck stops for most of these brands.

My friend in Langley, BC has a '90 Pajero with the same engine. He uses Amsoil 15W40 (AME) all year. Very easy winter starting, according to him. OCI is 10,000KM.

be a little careful, while a CI-4 oil should be fine, most Japaneses diesels specify a CF or CF-4 oil only. They also seem to require a high level (>30000ppm) of calcium. Here most blenders have a specific Japanese diesel oil available with the calcium levels above 3000ppm and an API CF-4 rating.
Where you appear to be able to break these recommendations is when using a premium diesel oil like Delo 400, Delvac 1, etc. While the specific calcium levels are lower, the rest of the add package compensates, and the UOA's running Delvac 1 in our Nissan TD are excellent.
Obviously with your winters, a 5W-40 would be required.
Try to check out Esso's XD-3, it has an incredible reputation with the Canadians on the board. It's available as a fully synthetic 0W-30 and 0W-40.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
be a little careful, while a CI-4 oil should be fine, most Japaneses diesels specify a CF or CF-4 oil only. They also seem to require a high level (>30000ppm) of calcium. Here most blenders have a specific Japanese diesel oil available with the calcium levels above 3000ppm and an API CF-4 rating.
Where you appear to be able to break these recommendations is when using a premium diesel oil like Delo 400, Delvac 1, etc. While the specific calcium levels are lower, the rest of the add package compensates, and the UOA's running Delvac 1 in our Nissan TD are excellent.
Obviously with your winters, a 5W-40 would be required.
Try to check out Esso's XD-3, it has an incredible reputation with the Canadians on the board. It's available as a fully synthetic 0W-30 and 0W-40.

I know Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40 and 9000 5w-40 has over 3000 ppm of calcium each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back