2004 jeep transmission cooler

I had a hayden stack transmission cooler put in. transmission is a 42re. Told the the guy to put it in series with the condenser. What he did was put the cooler behind the radiator right in front of fan, it has the electric fan for cooling radiator that cycles on and off. Is this setup ok for the transmission cooling? This setup was done by a transmission shop got very good reviews. Thanks for any repies

Yes I changed the fluid and filter also added a dorman pan with drain plug, jeep has 156k on it but the fluid and inside pan was very clean shifts very good. Normally the cooler would be mounted in front right behind the grill, I do most of the work myself i just thought that being a transmission shop he would have mounted it right behind the grill maybe the is a better setup?

You think that the transmisson guy would do the right thing, this is why I do most of the work myself!

2004, 42re, and the radiator cooler is in the condenser. I'm going to guess it's a Grand Cherokee. 1999-2003 have the cooler in the radiator.

I would have put it in series with the condenser, but in the front just behind the grille. With its current location, you'd have no room for a mechanic fan; another thing you should add btw.

The 2004 also has the less problematic e fan relay. Well, not sure if it's less issue free.. it's just easier to get it. 1999-2003 have it under the passenger side headlight. Worth considering before purchasing an e fan I guess.

Last edited:
It is in series with the condenser so it gets cooled bay condenser than goes back to trans cooler ( which is right in front of electric radiator fan) than back to transmission, It is a hayden stack cooler not a tube and fin cooler.

This was very tough to read.

"In series", while an electrical term, involves things carrying the same working element, no?

Christmas lights "wired in series" all use electricity.

How can a transmission cooler be "in series" with an air conditioning condenser?

Also, "The radiator cooler is in the condenser" ??? Does that mean the commonly seen coil for transmission fluid (usually in the radiator's tank) is in the AC condenser in those Jeeps?

Also, dlundblad said you should add a mechanical fan. Does that mean removing the stock electric fan and mounting a fan hub, viscous coupling and blade?

The condenser may have the ATF fluid pass through it's own loop built into the condenser, but it is not in series or you would be mixing refrigerant with ATF.
It's an odd concept as the condenser dumps heat, not cold refrigerant. Hard to understand why you want extra heat in your transmission fluid. Putting the new ATF oil to air cooler behind the radiator also seems counter productive as the heat being dumped by the radiator flows directly through the transmission cooler. Maybe the airflow with the fans going is high enough to still cool the transmission fluid, but it's not ideal. Placement of a oil to water cooler is less important, but oil to air relies on cool airflow to work.

[Linked Image]

Ok yes did not mean as in electrical get what you saying. Yes on this year Chrysler used a portion on the condenser to cool the transmission fluid, it never went through the radiator like most jeeps have. So the way it is routed is fluid comes out of transmission goes to condenser and the goes to external transmission cooler( which was placed behind the radiator right in front of radiator fan) then the fluid travels back to the the transmission via return line. I would have preferred that the external trans cooler be put right in front of radiator. So looking at it now it gets cooled by condenser behind grill and goes to cooler which has fan that cycles on and off for radiator to cool it done I guess it will work?

It's better than nothing, but the air passing through the auxiliary will be warmer after passing through the radiator, so the coolikng benefit will be less than if it was in front of the condenser.

Originally Posted by ripcord
It's better than nothing, but the air passing through the auxiliary will be warmer after passing through the radiator, so the coolikng benefit will be less than if it was in front of the condenser.

This.

I'm assuming when the OP says stacked cooler he means the plate style? Those are definitely one of the most efficient coolers, and a necessary addition for a 42RE. Keep the fluid cool and change it often and those will last. I recommend adding a trans temp gauge also just to monitor the temps.

Yes to the above … another common mistake is not spacing tight to the front of the condenser or radiator …
So, if you leave a large gap … the fan flow will bypass both the transmission cooler and some HVAC fins. This has been discovered the hard way by guys who 4WD slowly in deep sand. It applies to bumper to bumper traffic as well.

Originally Posted by jeep58
You think that the transmisson guy would do the right thing, this is why I do most of the work myself!

I would think yes, as increased air flow rate here is more effective in transmission heat removal .

Originally Posted by Kira
This was very tough to read.

"In series", while an electrical term, involves things carrying the same working element, no?

Christmas lights "wired in series" all use electricity.

How can a transmission cooler be "in series" with an air conditioning condenser?

Also, "The radiator cooler is in the condenser" ??? Does that mean the commonly seen coil for transmission fluid (usually in the radiator's tank) is in the AC condenser in those Jeeps?

Also, dlundblad said you should add a mechanical fan. Does that mean removing the stock electric fan and mounting a fan hub, viscous coupling and blade?

I take "in series" to mean the same thing here as it would be in the electric terms. The fluid flows through everything in a loop. The condenser and ATF cooler is integrated. No tranny cooler in the radiator on these.

There's plenty of room for both mechanical and the e fan. Some guys do the GM 11 blade fan upgrade like what's in my 1997 Blazer. Claims it moves more air and requires less power to turn. You also need a fan clutch for a 2006 Hummer H3 or I believe Chevy Colorado of the same vintage.

I tried it, but didn't have the room since my Jeep has a front skid plate. The Mopar fan goes in fine from the top. I should add I'm not certain there's room for the 11 blade and the e fan, but I would assume there is?
21.gif

So really the transmission cooler should be mounted in front of condenser behind the grill. You think that the gut who works on transmissions would have done this. I was just thinking that the way he hooked this up maybe it is better then having the cooler in front?

Looks like (since have time on my hands) I am going to remove the external cooler from the radiator and place it in front on condenser. This way it will get full air flow when driving and being a hayden stacked cooler it should be keeping the transmission heated fluid at bay !

So I mounted cooler right in front of condenser got it off the hot radiator. The cooling fan cycled and I can feel the air coming right thru the cooler, biggest pain wan getting the bolts off the shroud chrysler really messed up on this one bolt is right up against the frame nightmare getting it out!

Back