Wheel bearing grease discussion

One of the best wheel bearing greases is Mobil Infinitec 152. Unfortunately it's not commonly available to the general public, except in 5 gal pails. Lucky me I have a number of pints.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Just some random comments here, as I have no experience with your Ford. Is it a 4 wheel drive hub?

The Polyrex product does not list the GC-LB spec for wheel bearing and chassis lube, so why would you even consider it. Same thing for your Mobil SCH 100 - it's an aircraft grease with no GC-LB listing: https://www.exxonmobil.com/en-US/Aviation/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-Aviation-Grease-SHC-100.

What is factory speced for your bearings? Is it Ford XG-11? Spec. WSS-M1C267-A1 ..... A Mobil product with this approval is: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Grease/pds/GL-XX-Ronex-MP ...It seems to just be a typical lithium complex grease.

Most of these greases discussed have a Timken Load test of only around 40 to 50, so don't get hung up on the idea that you need a very high extreme pressure EP rating here. Somewhere (can't find it), Timken has a paper that warns against using VERY high EP rated greases for wheel bearings. As a group, I don't think we ever figured out why Ford is the the odd-man-out recommending moly in wheel bearings. It's generally thought of as an additive for sliding type applications, especially high load areas like pins/bushings, etc..

Based on all the general recommendations here, I think your only chance to identify a super grease that has proven better results in your Ford is to peruse all the Ford specific forums and see if there is a consensus. Sorry I can't help any better.

I have read on Machinery Lubrication that ep greases oxidize quicker which recently lead me on a search for Mobil Polyrex EM for a sealed for life motor bearing. I learned that most electric motor manufacturers use it so I thought that for shure my local motor shop would stock it but all they had was mystic lithium from Atwood's. I ended up paying $15 on Amazon for 1 tube.

Originally Posted by Kestas
One of the best wheel bearing greases is Mobil Infinitec 152. Unfortunately it's not commonly available to the general public, except in 5 gal pails. Lucky me I have a number of pints.

That is an interesting one. Too bad it's not available in tubs.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Just some random comments here, as I have no experience with your Ford. Is it a 4 wheel drive hub?

The Polyrex product does not list the GC-LB spec for wheel bearing and chassis lube, so why would you even consider it. Same thing for your Mobil SCH 100 - it's an aircraft grease with no GC-LB listing: https://www.exxonmobil.com/en-US/Aviation/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-Aviation-Grease-SHC-100.

What is factory speced for your bearings? Is it Ford XG-11? Spec. WSS-M1C267-A1 ..... A Mobil product with this approval is: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Grease/pds/GL-XX-Ronex-MP ...It seems to just be a typical lithium complex grease.

Most of these greases discussed have a Timken Load test of only around 40 to 50, so don't get hung up on the idea that you need a very high extreme pressure EP rating here. Somewhere (can't find it), Timken has a paper that warns against using VERY high EP rated greases for wheel bearings. As a group, I don't think we ever figured out why Ford is the the odd-man-out recommending moly in wheel bearings. It's generally thought of as an additive for sliding type applications, especially high load areas like pins/bushings, etc..

Based on all the general recommendations here, I think your only chance to identify a super grease that has proven better results in your Ford is to peruse all the Ford specific forums and see if there is a consensus. Sorry I can't help any better.

I am not to worried about ford specific. I figure that if a grease performs well in wheel bearings then it should apply to the Timken bearings in a ford.
I am leaning towards Mobil 1 synthetic because I like Mobil or Timken because they know bearings. I do wonder though if Timken as a bearing manufacturer would really have the know how to formulate a grease. I have to assume that Timken grease is formulated for Timken not by them.

Mobil SHC Polyrex 462 is an industrial grease with a NLGI 2 grade and much thicker base oils than all the other options that I have info on.
It is not automotive rated but Machinery Lubrication says in this article that basically there is no difference it is just what they are marketed and certified for. The actual specs are what matter.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29910/automotive-industrial-greases

Originally Posted by Zahndkile
The Mobilith SHC 100 is approved for airplane wheel bearings by:
ABSC
DUNLOP
GOODRICH
HONEYWELL
MESSIER-BUGATTI
PARKER - CLEVELAND

I may be wrong but I would assume that those approvals would be superior to ford.

What do youall think?

Apples and oranges. I'm sure the duty cycles and requirements are different between automotive and aircraft. For one, automotive sees many more revolutions.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by Zahndkile
The Mobilith SHC 100 is approved for airplane wheel bearings by:
ABSC
DUNLOP
GOODRICH
HONEYWELL
MESSIER-BUGATTI
PARKER - CLEVELAND

I may be wrong but I would assume that those approvals would be superior to ford.

What do youall think?

Apples and oranges. I'm sure the duty cycles and requirements are different between automotive and aircraft. For one, automotive sees many more revolutions.

True and I thought of that too. It was an interesting one though.

Any brand name #2 lithium complex grease with moly, or for that matter, almost any #2 grease will work. I repacked tapered roller bearings used on front wheel spindles for years with #2 wheel chassis grease and never had a failure. It's not rocket science. Sixty some years of vehicle ownership and I personally don't recall any instance of wheel bearing failure. Last wheel bearings I repacked was on a 1984 Honda Accord which had tapered roller bearings on the rear wheels. Next Honda I purchased had sealed, ball bearing units. Same for the Toyotas down to the one parked in the garage.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Any brand name #2 lithium complex grease with moly, or for that matter, almost any #2 grease will work. I repacked tapered roller bearings used on front wheel spindles for years with #2 wheel chassis grease and never had a failure. It's not rocket science. Sixty some years of vehicle ownership and I personally don't recall any instance of wheel bearing failure. Last wheel bearings I repacked was on a 1984 Honda Accord which had tapered roller bearings on the rear wheels. Next Honda I purchased had sealed, ball bearing units. Same for the Toyotas down to the one parked in the garage.

True it's not rocket science just tribolog. ...€
You are comparing Japanese engineering to American brute design. ...€
In all seriousness I know you are right but I enjoy examining lubricant specs and trying to select the best.

[Linked Image]

Wheel bearings require not just a Grade 2, but also EP additives and resistance to elevated temperatures.

Roller bearings are roller bearings. And after you have picked a grease, repacked the bearings and are on the road again, how are you going to know if you picked the very best? The Valvoline product posted above by Oildude will work as good as anything you pick no matter how many specs you review. Go for it OK. From a Tahlequah dude via New Mexico,Colorado and Nebraska.

Roller bearings are roller bearings. And after you have picked a grease, repacked the bearings and are on the road again, how are you going to know if you picked the very best? The Valvoline product posted above by Oildude will work as good as anything you pick no matter how many specs you review. Go for it OK. From a Tahlequah dude via New Mexico,Colorado and Nebraska.

I wont know and most likely if I have a failure it wouldn't be from lubrication failure as potholes or age are far more likely.

clinebarger said:
Timken GR224C

^ this is what I've been using for many many years as well. Can't get it locally so I have stock piled it from summit with other orders. I get tubs and tubes for trailer axles.

So I applied that number to some charts on Machinery Lubrication website and I came up with it would require NLGI 2 grease but I can't find a good chart for selecting the base oil viscosity.
I was really surprised that the rpm's @75 were so low. It would be about 798 rpm.

Back