Ordered some VW 0-20 for my Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wemay
The Passat, IIRC has two torx sizes. 8 small and 4 large.

That would have been a bit more "reasonable" compared to the A4 cover. For the .3 charged to do an oil change, it made much more sense to extract the oil and replace the oil filter from the top.

We also did a brake flush, rotate and the cabin filter since it was at 20K. Altogether, the job took under an hour.

062F9C53-3B20-40CC-BFAD-B07B137E7001.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Haven't worked on a beetle, but I worked on a 18 A4 with the B-cycle engine that should be extremely similar.

The bottom cover is a nightmare to remove (it uses multiple types of fasteners). I highly recommend buying an oil extractor and removing the oil thru the dipstick tube. The green one from Harbor Freight works great. I think VAG intended for the oil to be extracted since the dipstick tube is extremely wide and fits the widest extractor tube very easily.

Well, I learned something tonight.

Noticing that the Audi A4 in your photo has a longitudinally-mounted inline-4, and, knowing that Audi A4s are front or all-wheel-drive, I was confused.

How weird! A long-ways-mounted engine, with front wheel drive? I wasn't aware Audi used this strange setup, that places the engine so far forward.

Similar to the 2016 WRX I had, but that car has a 4-cylinder boxer engine that's only 2 cylinders deep. CG lower, and not nearly as far forward.

I've seen this before, but not often. Acura did this with the Vigor/2.5TL, which used inline-5 engines, and I've also seen an '80s FWD Saab with a slant-4 mounted longitudinally. Now that was an odd bird. But, I always thought those Saab 900s were really cool-looking cars! Very unique design. And attractive.

Audi seems to like mounting their 4-cyl engines longitudinally while VW tends to mount transversely. Not sure why. This particular A4 was a FWD ultra model which is why it had the B-cycle engine.

Audi doesn't use a dipstick anymore for the "luxury aspect" as they don't want their customers to get their hands dirty.

A3,TT, & Q3 (PQ35 & MQB) are transverse though, thus with Quattro, uses Haldex coupling. And the old A1 & A2 were also transverse layout also

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Haven't worked on a beetle, but I worked on a 18 A4 with the B-cycle engine that should be extremely similar.

The bottom cover is a nightmare to remove (it uses multiple types of fasteners). I highly recommend buying an oil extractor and removing the oil thru the dipstick tube. The green one from Harbor Freight works great. I think VAG intended for the oil to be extracted since the dipstick tube is extremely wide and fits the widest extractor tube very easily.

Well, I learned something tonight.

Noticing that the Audi A4 in your photo has a longitudinally-mounted inline-4, and, knowing that Audi A4s are front or all-wheel-drive, I was confused.

How weird! A long-ways-mounted engine, with front wheel drive? I wasn't aware Audi used this strange setup, that places the engine so far forward.

Similar to the 2016 WRX I had, but that car has a 4-cylinder boxer engine that's only 2 cylinders deep. CG lower, and not nearly as far forward.

I've seen this before, but not often. Acura did this with the Vigor/2.5TL, which used inline-5 engines, and I've also seen an '80s FWD Saab with a slant-4 mounted longitudinally. Now that was an odd bird. But, I always thought those Saab 900s were really cool-looking cars! Very unique design. And attractive.

Audi seems to like mounting their 4-cyl engines longitudinally while VW tends to mount transversely. Not sure why. This particular A4 was a FWD ultra model which is why it had the B-cycle engine.

Audi doesn't use a dipstick anymore for the "luxury aspect" as they don't want their customers to get their hands dirty.

A3,TT, & Q3 (PQ35 & MQB) are transverse though, thus with Quattro, uses Haldex coupling. And the old A1 & A2 were also transverse layout also

B8 still had dipstick line, so installing one was not hard, as well as 3.0T.
Not sure about B9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back