Valve train noise on start up

2013 Honda Civic 1.8L 189k

I have noticed here lately(post quarantine) that my wife's civic has a valve rattle upon start up after a few days of setting. This could most likely be due to not being started and driven because of quarantine, but I definitely did not notice it until about two weeks ago when the car was being driven daily. I just did the oil change on it about three months ago M1 0w20 regular synthetic with a fram ultra.
Should I bump it to 0w30 on the next OCI?

Even the best anti drain back valve will leak down given enough time. I wouldn't sweat it. Then again, I'm sure a 30 weight oil will be fine too.

Try STP XL filter, it works the best in my car to prevent rattle and oil light goes off almost immediately even on a cold start

From what I understand about the R18 is that it does not have hydraulic lifters, but does have a timing chain and presumably a hydraulic timing chain tensioner. How long will it tap for? Is it a tapping, or more of a slapping from the timing chain area?

Back to the timing chain tensioner, not entirely sure about the honda tensioner, but I do know that GM tensioners will react that way when they start to get out of range due to a stretched timing chain. Considering the record the K-series has with stretched chains I wouldn't be surprised if an R 18 could wear one out by that mileage. The timing chain tensioners that I am used to seeing have an internal ratcheting mechanism, so that even in the absence of hydraulic pressure there really shouldn't be a ton of slack in the chain, but that may not be the case when they start getting out of their designed travel range.

Last edited:
Try 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum (thin) and OEM Honda oil filter.

My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI has not been run in two weeks. I started it yesterday by remote and noticed grayish-black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I shook it-off as being better coming out of the exhaust, than carbon sticking to the valves and pistons.

That told me my last two choices of oils (Valvoline Advanced & Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) were very good choices. The longer the vehicle sits, the more sound and sight reactions are noticed, when the engine is fired-up for the first - in a long time.

Noisy tappets are tappets that don't burn exhaust valves. Are you curious enough to do a cold start from just sitting overnight? If you get the rattle, then first thing,I'd try a different filter. Next, thicker oil.

Its the M1, dump it and put something good in like PUP or Magnatec and watch how quiet it is
wink.gif

Go ahead M1 fan club, My flame suit is on, but the OP will find that I'm right....
smile.gif

My Dad was a big M1 fan for years, used it in his new Civic with the R18 and I convinced him finally to try PuP in the same vis and he was amazed how quiet the engine got.

Last edited:
Give Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 a shot, especially if the vehicle is sitting for long periods of time. It should quiet things down nicely. PUP 5w30 was very good in both my Jeeps, ESP is even better when they sit for long periods of time.

Originally Posted by Tman220
From what I understand about the R18 is that it does not have hydraulic lifters, but does have a timing chain and presumably a hydraulic timing chain tensioner. How long will it tap for? Is it a tapping, or more of a slapping from the timing chain area?

Back to the timing chain tensioner, not entirely sure about the honda tensioner, but I do know that GM tensioners will react that way when they start to get out of range due to a stretched timing chain. Considering the record the K-series has with stretched chains I wouldn't be surprised if an R 18 could wear one out by that mileage. The timing chain tensioners that I am used to seeing have an internal ratcheting mechanism, so that even in the absence of hydraulic pressure there really shouldn't be a ton of slack in the chain, but that may not be the case when they start getting out of their designed travel range.

It taps/rattles for about 45 seconds give or take and goes away completely the closer it gets to running temp.

Reactions: hrv
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

They have never been adjusted since I bought the car new in 2013.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Its the M1, dump it and put something good in like PUP or Magnatec and watch how quiet it is
wink.gif

Go ahead M1 fan club, My flame suit is on, but the OP will find that I'm right....
smile.gif

My Dad was a big M1 fan for years, used it in his new Civic with the R18 and I convinced him finally to try PuP in the same vis and he was amazed how quiet the engine got.

I was actually considering this before posting the topic by switching out to magnatec because I have read before that it helps with this type of deal.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?

They have never been adjusted since I bought the car new in 2013.

The Type 4 service should have come up around the 100k mile mark. Would have been due for plugs and a valve adjustment.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88

It taps/rattles for about 45 seconds give or take and goes away completely the closer it gets to running temp.

Anything timing chain or oil pressure related would only last 2-3 seconds.

probably the timing chain making noise, next OCI use a 10w30 or 10w40. I had a 5 speed 2003 civic w/ 1.7 and used mobil1 red lid 15w50 its entire life. I did tons of HWY driving and it spent most of its life @ 5200 rpm's going 80-85 on the interstate.

My Fit had a Mechanical tensioner. Never Noisy.
The Mechanical valvetrain will be rackety untill warm.

The Fram filter and the HOnda are the same.

I agree to find a non- ecore champ lab filter - which the STP may be.

The always worked best on my Toyota's and Honda's - and just about everything

Better than Toyota service filters (Thai Denso) that killed my poor Yaris engine. AND my wife's RAV 4 engine..

Yes I blame that filter and its the reason I rejoined BITOG 15 years ago.

I was BustedKnuckles for a while, IIRC. But my memory .....

Back