Ok to change oil and NOT filter?

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
IF, and only IF you do highway runs to burn off any fuel dillution or water vapor, then I run all of mine 3 yrs, 3k miles and never had an issue or bad oil sample come back. There has been a few times it took all 3 yrs to get 3k miles and the filter just started to get surface rust on its unpainted surfaces.

It is not necessary to drive on the highway to get the oil up to full temperature. The key is engine run time... most engines will get to full temp in 5-8 minutes, depending on ambient. But the oil can take up to 20 minutes to reach 180F. That's why it's recommended, if you are doing a trip with multiple stops (like running errands around town), drive the longest leg first.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
I do intermediate 5 k oil changes without a filter change. I don't drain it, I don't touch it. It gets changed every 10k.
Couple of reasons for this. I have cartridge filters that require skid plate removal to change..so I like to a void that too frequently. And, they are not being challenged or dirty even at 10k. The used oil leftover in the filter is not that much more when compared to what is left in the engine after a drain and filter change. More oil Oil remains in the bearings, galleys up in the heads, baffles and coating parts than is in the filter. The only all new oil change is the first oil fill. Or after a complete tear down.

Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's also a great idea to help slow the garbage landfill amounts. Over 90% of DIY oil changers at home do not recycle the old oil filter and they end up in a landfill.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I do intermediate 5 k oil changes without a filter change. I don't drain it, I don't touch it. It gets changed every 10k.
Couple of reasons for this. I have cartridge filters that require skid plate removal to change..so I like to a void that too frequently. And, they are not being challenged or dirty even at 10k. The used oil leftover in the filter is not that much more when compared to what is left in the engine after a drain and filter change. More oil Oil remains in the bearings, galleys up in the heads, baffles and coating parts than is in the filter. The only all new oil change is the first oil fill. Or after a complete tear down.

It's also a great idea to help slow the garbage landfill amounts. Over 90% of DIY oil changers at home do not recycle the old oil filter and they end up in a landfill.

There is no need for that every O'Really's store I know of takes your oil and filters you don't even have to buy them from them.

There is a need when hardly anyone takes oil filter back to O'Reilly's. They let me take my two jugs to their big tank in the backroom. Normally I get there early in the week when the tank is almost full and there usually only stands 4-5 oil filters on the top screen. That tank is huge and probably holds thousands of quarts.

Kinda' sad really! I always cut mine open, but have no clue on how to get the pics to work here. I can't even get my UOAs / VOAs to show at this website.
This is what happens when I'm only two years removed from a flip phone. I just learned how to text six months ago.

With the price of gas right now I say just take the car out for a nice leisurely drive for an hour or so to burn off any water or fuel and call the whole thing good for another year. Unless of course you change oil weight in the summer then just dump the sump and refill.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

They make GREAT firestarters (thanks Adam/car51), and all my metal goes in the scrap pile, unless it vaporizes in the wood stove.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Recently the weather's been getting warmer, so I know it's time for my annual change on the Lexus.
After reviewing the maintenance book, it seems as though I've only driven it a paltry 2,000kms/1250 miles in the last year (since March 2019).
For oil I'm running full syn Pennzoil platinum 5w30. No leaks/burning as it only has roughly 55k miles

Since the car does it's fair share of stop and go driving, I'm thinking I should at least refresh the additive package in the oil.
Should I change the filter too? The owners manual says you can get away with doing it every other change...

thoughts? opinions?

I would change the oil filter EVERY OCI. A lot of the members around here will disapprove of my thoughts/answer.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
WHY

Ahhh because you can
lol.gif

Not a big deal in my opinion.

All answers are funny.

Do you all realize that most Toyota have gone to Cartridge filter?
So, the gasket is really not an issue.

OP can drain the oil filter without opening the filter. Duh.

IMO, it is fine to keep the filter and for 2000 miles, I would think that it is fine to let the oil run longer.
Unless, the engine is in bad conditions.

I probably more worried on the low mileage driven car to have leaks which happened to me on an older Lexus owned previously.
All the seals started to go bad.

The big issue here is water vapor in the oil. You really should take the car on a 20+ mile trip at highway+ speed on a weekly basis. This boils off all of the condensation.

I do an annual oil change on my Honda but I only change the filter every two years. And with my wife's car I change her oil about every 6 months (roughly 15,000 km) but I only change her cartridge filter every 25,000 to 30,000 km. I still do the Corvette filter every oil change because it's still under warranty but that could change once the warranty is up.

Back