Tool battery question

So I goofed. On one of my trips to Home Depot, before non-essential travel went out of favor, I spied a Makita 1/2" cordless impact on closeout for $48. It was until I got home that I realized I had gotten the 12V version and not the 18V that I thought it was. Of course, I have a couple of 18V batteries already, and nothing for 12V. I'd take it back but I'm guessing "closeout" means "we don't want to stock it anymore" and besides... I'm not sure I want to go out.

Anyhow, should I just buy a set of 12V batteries for just this tool? That's about $60 for that option, on Ebay. I see a reman 12V sawzall on Ebay that comes with the charger and two batteries; that runs $90. Or should I just take the hit and do nothing? I mean, why "invest" in a set of 12V batteries for this one tool? I like my 18V stuff, and don't do that much work in the garage--I saw this impact and thought it'd make a nice light tool for light work in the garage or around the house. It wasn't to replace my 3/4" air impact, nor am I ready to spend big bucks on a cordless 3/4" impact either ($200 plus, although it looks like I am halfway there by not reading the box!).

This is more of an open ended question, looking just for opinions. And to kick myself, for not reading the box...

I guess you need to get a charger and battery for the Impact? I would check local CL listings. You might find someone that has the battery/charger and no tool for much cheaper.

Locally at my pawn shop I can get batteries much cheaper than what anyone else sells them for. Just be patient.

Oops, didn't make the explicit--yeah, need a battery and a charger.

I thought about just keeping an eye open for used, but am leery of getting someone's used up battery instead. Yeah I could find a great deal on a lightly used setup, no doubt. I haven't ruled that option out, but it's just not high on the list.

Not that I have much more to do than to sit around, waiting...

You could try taking it back anyway and tell them you're willing to buy a 18 V version for their current price minus your return price for the 12 V tool. I find they are pretty good with returning stuff, especially if you have a receipt. Good luck.

I have several Makita 12V tools and could probably use the impact, if you wanna sell it, I'd probably buy it and pay shipping, so you could get what you want.

I would either sell it online or just bring it back to Home Depot. They're usually pretty good about taking things back and I think they would probably take it back even if it was on closeout. You could just call to confirm instead of wasting a trip if they don't. I have too many Ryobi tools and I wouldn't bother with a different battery system for just one tool unless it's a really good one. I did end up getting the Milwaukee high impact wrench just because it's 1400 foot pounds and I have a project in mind for it.

Home Depot sells essential products so a trip should be essential. Buy a loaf of bread at grocery store and call it a day.

Return it and get the 18V one. You don't want to have yet another set of batteries and a charger.

Last edited:
Does Makita make an adapter for 18v to 12v? That would allow you to keep the tool and use your existing batteries.

Batteries are consumable. They have a calendar life and a cycle life.

If you like the tool other than the battery rating, I'd have an eye out for a tool plus battery kit that gets you one or more. Often that's the cheapest way. Then you have another battery, but so what? Unless you're so space limited, it's not a big deal. When all the 12v batteries die, you can revisit. The question then becomes - will you get sufficient value from the tool to justify the combined cost?

Thanks all, some good thoughts to think about. I'll weigh out those options and figure out what I want to do.

Back